skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Okc all the way! Thunder up

Advertisements
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 2012-13 Around the NBA thread

you want to see really bad basketball played in front of no one, tune into the Wiz vs Bobcat match up tonight.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
you want to see really bad basketball played in front of no one, tune into the Wiz vs Bobcat match up tonight.
There's only 5-6 teams worth watching on a nightly basis.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
Kindoy
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
LeBron James made it to the NBA Finals with the exciting cast of Larry Hughes, Boobie Gibson and Sasha Pavlovic. And friggin' Mike Brown, as their coach... Mike Brown! That run was herculean- and they got past Detroit that year.

OK, nobody's winning with Smush Parker or Kwame Brown, either- but the difference is LeBron makes his teammates better. But if you're going to quote Stephen A. Smith, at least quote him saying yesterday that the D'antoni hiring doesn't fit this Laker personnel. Kobe scores a lot, often inefficiently. Kobe could make his teammates better by passing the ball when defenses start doubling or triple teaming him in the fourth... but he often doesn't. Um, has Steve Clifford made anyone better defensively so far?

Well, if you want Kobe shooting the ball non-stop (with all that talent standing around watching him), you're going to see what happens in the playoffs. Nash will eventually start getting cranky if he brings the ball up court and Kobe shoots it in 7 seconds. And that bench isn't scaring anyone. The Lakers are the least athletic team in the league, but they'll be good for a fun regular season and maybe two playoff rounds. Mike Brown should have allowed for some pick and roll earlier on, obviously. But no (D)'antoni can't just rely on the p'n'r all year... athletic wings are going to close out fairly quickly, especially during the playoffs. And without any type of post up game, Pau and Howard's skills are highly underutilized.
Not even going into the LeBron v. Kobe thing and not comparing those rosters either. LeBron's roster had pieces that fit around him (shooters) - Kobe didn't quite frankly.

To answer your Steve Clifford question, yes. He was the defensive assistant that coached the Magic & Dwight the three years Dwight won DPOY as well as the year they made it to the finals.

D'Antoni, Kobe, & Nash will put their noggins together and make it work. If we're going with a Stephen A. quote marathon ill go with another thing he said - "They're too smart not to". D'Antoni will modify this offense and incorporate some looks to play to Pau/Dwight/Kobe's strengths. Nobody is calling for Kobe to shoot it every time down, but the base of this offense calls for early shots and if there is anyone i want shooting on this team it's Kobe plain and simple. You run the pick and roll and let Nash read, thats it, either kick it to Kobe or don't. If you're wingmen close then you dump it in to the post, I think D'Antoni is smart enough to figure that out. Dwight isn't going to just be doing cartwheels around the 3 point line after a pick and roll. Just because the Lakers want to shoot it early doesn't mean they have to. D'Antoni can really on the pick and roll all year teams have done it before and reached the finals (Stockton & Malone Jazz to name one) and teams still do it (Bulls, Cavs, Celtics etc.).

He's never had a team like this. The Suns and Knicks weren't bad at defense because he didn't coach it, they were bad because they were disinterested in defense. Nash jokingly said they didn't play defense because thats not what they were payed to do. Get Clifford, or McMillan if he is hired to motivate them a little and they'll play enough defense to win. Even Kobe in one of his recent interviews said they ran about 3 defensive drills EVER with Phil, no exaggeration, and many of those teams were consider solid defensive teams mainly because they had size in the middle (see Dwight, Pau, Hill). Defense in the NBA is effort, motivation, and good communication - not X's and O's.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
There's only 5-6 teams worth watching on a nightly basis.

Precisely the problem with the NBA right now.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindoy View Post
Not even going into the LeBron v. Kobe thing and not comparing those rosters either. LeBron's roster had pieces that fit around him (shooters) - Kobe didn't quite frankly.

To answer your Steve Clifford question, yes. He was the defensive assistant that coached the Magic & Dwight the three years Dwight won DPOY as well as the year they made it to the finals.

D'Antoni, Kobe, & Nash will put their noggins together and make it work. If we're going with a Stephen A. quote marathon ill go with another thing he said - "They're too smart not to". D'Antoni will modify this offense and incorporate some looks to play to Pau/Dwight/Kobe's strengths. Nobody is calling for Kobe to shoot it every time down, but the base of this offense calls for early shots and if there is anyone i want shooting on this team it's Kobe plain and simple. You run the pick and roll and let Nash read, thats it, either kick it to Kobe or don't. If you're wingmen close then you dump it in to the post, I think D'Antoni is smart enough to figure that out. Dwight isn't going to just be doing cartwheels around the 3 point line after a pick and roll. Just because the Lakers want to shoot it early doesn't mean they have to. D'Antoni can really on the pick and roll all year teams have done it before and reached the finals (Stockton & Malone Jazz to name one) and teams still do it (Bulls, Cavs, Celtics etc.).

He's never had a team like this. The Suns and Knicks weren't bad at defense because he didn't coach it, they were bad because they were disinterested in defense. Nash jokingly said they didn't play defense because thats not what they were payed to do. Get Clifford, or McMillan if he is hired to motivate them a little and they'll play enough defense to win. Even Kobe in one of his recent interviews said they ran about 3 defensive drills EVER with Phil, no exaggeration, and many of those teams were consider solid defensive teams mainly because they had size in the middle (see Dwight, Pau, Hill). Defense in the NBA is effort, motivation, and good communication - not X's and O's.
Lebron didn't have players that fit in with him anymore than Kobe did. He just had players that could drain open shots because of the way he played. What exactly has Boobie Gibson or Sasha Pavlovic accomplished without him? If you've ever seen professional wing players on the playground, most of them can hit the open basket with ease- that's why they're professionals. Kobe definitely wasn't winning a ring with Smush and the machine (that sounds like some rejected hipster band name), but he sure didn't elevate their play with his own.

Steve Clifford may have been an assistant with Orlando- but he's not the reason why Howard won DPOY. Dwight Howard is DPOY because he is Dwight Howard. The Magic were decent defensively because of the risks they were able to take on the perimeter... The wings could gamble because they knew they had a safety net in the paint. In fact, the only other decent defender I can remember on that team was Courtney Lee. This should be good news for LA fans if Dwight can get healthy again.

If pick and roll was the only difference needed, I'm not sure why D'antoni was needed for that... the offensive set is a fairly basic one to teach. And the Suns and Knicks were bad on defense specifically because of the D'antoni system (there's no desire to play it if the coach emphasizes offense, only). If the coach's philosophy is to shoot the ball within 7 seconds, the ball is either going in or the defense is getting a rebound (with an offensive rebound once in a while). If the system tells you to run an offensive set that quickly, the team is running up and down the court. There's no time to set up a proper defense.

Wait... the Knicks seem to be a lot better defensively after D'antoni left. They've basically got the same team, unless you're going to convince me Raymond Felton is locking players down. And while Kidd was known for a being a great defender, he's hardly all team nowadays. Woodson was also an assistant under D'antoni, but what's the difference now? Oh yeah, the head coach sets the table. If Melo's finally playing defense, it's because Woodson's pushed the intiative. Most offensive players would love to have a coach tell them not to worry about defense- hence, why players love D'antoni. And if Amare comes back and starts playing D, we'll all know where the motivation comes from.

Hey, if the Lakers win the ring in the next two years I'll admit I was wrong. That's the window the Lakers have with this team. I think Howard's gone after this season if the year goes south.

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 11-15-2012 at 11:24 PM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
Kindoy
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Lebron didn't have players that fit in with him anymore than Kobe did. He just had players that could drain open shots because of the way he played. What exactly has Boobie Gibson or Sasha Pavlovic accomplished without him? If you've ever seen professional wing players on the playground, most of them can hit the open basket with ease- that's why they're professionals. Kobe definitely wasn't winning a ring with Smush and the machine (that sounds like some rejected hipster band name), but he sure didn't elevate their play with his own.

Steve Clifford may have been an assistant with Orlando- but he's not the reason why Howard won DPOY. Dwight Howard is DPOY because he is Dwight Howard. The Magic were decent defensively because of the risks they were able to take on the perimeter... The wings could gamble because they knew they had a safety net in the paint. In fact, the only other decent defender I can remember on that team was Courtney Lee. This should be good news for LA fans if Dwight can get healthy again.

If pick and roll was the only difference needed, I'm not sure why D'antoni was needed for that... the offensive set is a fairly basic one to teach. And the Suns and Knicks were bad on defense specifically because of the D'antoni system (there's no desire to play it if the coach emphasizes offense, only). If the coach's philosophy is to shoot the ball within 7 seconds, the ball is either going in or the defense is getting a rebound (with an offensive rebound once in a while). If the system tells you to run an offensive set that quickly, the team is running up and down the court. There's no time to set up a proper defense.

Wait... the Knicks seem to be a lot better defensively after D'antoni left. They've basically got the same team, unless you're going to convince me Raymond Felton is locking players down. And while Kidd was known for a being a great defender, he's hardly all team nowadays. Woodson was also an assistant under D'antoni, but what's the difference now? Oh yeah, the head coach sets the table. If Melo's finally playing defense, it's because Woodson's pushed the intiative. Most offensive players would love to have a coach tell them not to worry about defense- hence, why players love D'antoni. And if Amare comes back and starts playing D, we'll all know where the motivation comes from.

Hey, if the Lakers win the ring in the next two years I'll admit I was wrong. That's the window the Lakers have with this team. I think Howard's gone after this season if the year goes south.
Welp, we don't need a coach for D because we have Dwight Howard. And we don't need a coach for offense because the pick and roll is so simple... i guess we don't need a coach.

Melo has already shown signs of letting up on D (not getting back, etc.), give him 5 more games and he'll be as lazy as ever. Granted they have been better on defense... but 6 games or whatever they've played doesn't sell me on much.

I still think D'Antonis a good hire. Inspired, thoughtful coach, isn't your average Joe like Brown seemed to be. The guys want to play for him, thats half the battle as an NBA coach. He'll conjure something up to fit this squad. Anyways, its all talk until the seasons over.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Old man Kobe with another triple double. Eliminating the Princeton offense sure has helped things a bit for the team.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Virginia Beach reportedly reaches deal with Comcast, Kings; may ask for $150 million from statehouse - Sactown Royalty
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

^^NBA in VB will never work.

Rajon Rondo, Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace all ejected for fighting in Celtics-Nets game (VIDEO) | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

Not sure why KJ wasn't ejected either. Hell, not sure why Kris Humphries was ejected to start with. Rondo needs at minimum a 5 game suspension for this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

its funny people keep saying no this wont happen, but yet we continue to see steps taken.

He Gets Us
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

NBA Star Andrew Bynum Sues Neighbors | Vibe

hilarious

He Gets Us
Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #28
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
What a piece of trash. Now, he should consider himself lucky because he works in Philly now. He can get away with being that type of neighbor in Philly or NJ.

My neighborhood was quiet too, until the neighbors from Jersey Shore moved in next door. They act just like Bynum. The cops have been out so many times in the middle of the night.

He should buy their old house, he'd fit in perfectly.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Sources: Hornets changing nickname to Pelicans - Yahoo! Sports

Well, alright then...

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Amir Johnson, ref tussle over ball in Toronto Raptors' loss - ESPN

Dafuq is wrong with this kid? NBA should suspend him for a good 10 games to send a message this stuff isn't ever going to be tolerated.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote