Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Transgendered Athletes in Professional Sports

Other Sports

Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
RGIII

Re: Transgendered Athletes in Professional Sports

Just last month I went into the ladies room by mistake to take a piss. It was awkward because I was sure where I was supposed to be(in the men's room) but there were no urinals. I simply shrugged my shoulders and squeezed into a stall without being able to close the door behind me. Then all of the sudden I kept hearing/feeling people walking swiftly past me. I turned my head around to see a woman and her young daughter standing there petrified while I finished reliving myself. They ran out of there and I followed when I thought the close was clear...
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #32
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Just last month I went into the ladies room by mistake to take a piss. It was awkward because I was sure where I was supposed to be(in the men's room) but there were no urinals. I simply shrugged my shoulders and squeezed into a stall without being able to close the door behind me. Then all of the sudden I kept hearing/feeling people walking swiftly past me. I turned my head around to see a woman and her young daughter standing there petrified while I finished reliving myself. They ran out of there and I followed when I thought the close was clear...
Now this thread is getting somewhere.

I'm taking the over on 7 pages and it might reach epic status.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
Evilgrin
The Starter

If you say yes, you also have to consider whether it's fair to the cisgendered athletes? I don't know what "fair" is myself, but can think of some possibilities where it may be questionable. It's an interesting discussion to have, if it doesn't go 980 route.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #34
firstdown
Living Legend

Men play men sports and women play women sports. We could change this and call it the Lorena Bobbitt rule. I guess we could call it the d*&k in the bush rule.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
RGIII

This thread makes me think of three others: that terrible movie "Juwanna Mann", Baylor basketball star Brittney Griner, and Caster Semenya.

Caster Semenya HERMAPHRODITE?: Tests Reveal South African Sprinter Has Both Male, Female Characteristics: REPORT
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
firstdown
Living Legend

If they keep changing the rules we will have womens football.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Men play men sports and women play women sports. We could change this and call it the Lorena Bobbitt rule. I guess we could call it the d*&k in the bush rule.
There it is. The post that sends this thread spiraling?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
first? Seriously? I think everyone was having a nice civil discussion without resorting to high school snickering and joking around. Poor timing...and you were doing so well in the other thread.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #39
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I have a question. This isn't rhetorical and I have no idea if it is even possible. Assume a male athlete goes through the exact same hormone therapy a transgender going from female --> male goes through, would they get a competitive advantage due to increased (possibly to dangerous levels?) testosterone/etc?

To me, the fact that they're transgender doesn't equate into the equation at all. It comes down to sports providing a fair and equal setting for people to compete. Athletes are a mix of naturally gifted and driven. Keeping PEDs and other advantages out of sports is important to keeping such treatment from becoming mandatory in order to compete.

That's why I'm against the carbon-fiber legs running in the Olympics. Every decision you make in life has consequences, changing your gender may have the consequence of giving up competitive sports. I think it's fair to say the person in question, had they been born a woman, would not be 6'8.

When it comes to the actual radio personalities. They should not have been suspended. Part of being a sports talk host is creating controversy and sparking conversation. When it comes to topics like this, if you're uncomfortable with the topic or don't agree with what they're saying -- then change the god damn channel. It's really not that hard, the only time I feel there is a case is when someone hears something like that and they lack the ability to get away from something that deeply offends them. People have the right to their opinion, and there are times that opinion is offensive to me. I ignore those shows.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

good god, Ive heard Czab and Sully say much worse. Czab is entertaining the same way Stern is and ima fan of both.

That being said, Id say let'm play where ever they want male or female side. But if you do, you must clearly understand people will be critical and thats just part of the gig unfortunately.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #41
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I have a question. This isn't rhetorical and I have no idea if it is even possible. Assume a male athlete goes through the exact same hormone therapy a transgender going from female --> male goes through, would they get a competitive advantage due to increased (possibly to dangerous levels?) testosterone/etc?

To me, the fact that they're transgender doesn't equate into the equation at all. It comes down to sports providing a fair and equal setting for people to compete. Athletes are a mix of naturally gifted and driven. Keeping PEDs and other advantages out of sports is important to keeping such treatment from becoming mandatory in order to compete.

That's why I'm against the carbon-fiber legs running in the Olympics. Every decision you make in life has consequences, changing your gender may have the consequence of giving up competitive sports. I think it's fair to say the person in question, had they been born a woman, would not be 6'8.

When it comes to the actual radio personalities. They should not have been suspended. Part of being a sports talk host is creating controversy and sparking conversation. When it comes to topics like this, if you're uncomfortable with the topic or don't agree with what they're saying -- then change the god damn channel. It's really not that hard, the only time I feel there is a case is when someone hears something like that and they lack the ability to get away from something that deeply offends them. People have the right to their opinion, and there are times that opinion is offensive to me. I ignore those shows.
See I look at this differently. PEDs are not dangerous when taken with professional consultation. Why not allow them, especially if people are going to constantly try to gain an edge? If everyone has the same access to PEDs, then those with the natural talents and drive will rise to the top.

That being said I do think there is an issue with things being unfair regarding transgender athletes.

Finally, in terms of freedom of speech I disagree. They are on free federal airwaves and are subject to regulations and guidelines. What ESPN did was right. If this was XM, however, I would agree with you.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #42
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
See I look at this differently. PEDs are not dangerous when taken with professional consultation. Why not allow them, especially if people are going to constantly try to gain an edge? If everyone has the same access to PEDs, then those with the natural talents and drive will rise to the top.

That being said I do think there is an issue with things being unfair regarding transgender athletes.

Finally, in terms of freedom of speech I disagree. They are on free federal airwaves and are subject to regulations and guidelines. What ESPN did was right. If this was XM, however, I would agree with you.
I don't disagree with your about PEDs being dangerous with regulation. And admittedly, over the years my opinion on this topic have changed from your stance to a non-PED stance. I see this as two fold. One, it's the slippery slope argument. Maybe use of HGH is allowed, but then it slowly becomes more and more supplements and less and less regulation. I will say this, I don't think athletes should be forced to take PEDs, which I think this would promote. Everyone will continue to try to get an edge -- but that edge may come at a higher price. Regardless, we could start a thread on that and get plenty of feedback.

As far as the final topic, I see your argument but don't agree personally. They didn't say anything against FCC rules. They didn't use language that was out of hand, etc. I think the topic is a sensitive one. They may not have handled it perfectly, but I still think you can turn the channel. There are shows I find offensive, for instance, shows like what Jerry Falwell used to run. I don't think they should be taken off the air because I don't believe in some of the messages that are part of that show.

I don't mean to upset anyone with the above, but it is a decisive topic that illustrates my point.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #43
redskins5044
Playmaker

THe new drug seems to be adderall which is a common drug for ADHD. My son takes it for his ADHD, so I don't consider it a PED in a sense, although is designed to make you to be more focused and alert.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Doesn't have anything to do with genetics. Physical and hormone changes only.
My point was, where do we draw the line?

Once you can physically change a person where do you stop? Who decides?

If I could get my 40 time down to 3 seconds I'd opt for surgery tomorrow.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #45
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins5044 View Post
THe new drug seems to be adderall which is a common drug for ADHD. My son takes it for his ADHD, so I don't consider it a PED in a sense, although is designed to make you to be more focused and alert.
I take Concerta, which is the 'adult' version of Adderall. When I go to the gym with/without it in my system, it is MUCH different. I can do significantly more with the Concerta in my system. There's more than just focus. It's an amphetamine. It speeds everything up to help you focus, which is somewhat unintuitive.