artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

Glad it isn't just me ss....

Advertisements
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #62
warriorzpath

I think it depends on how much Trent Murphy, Morgan Moses, and Bashaud Breeland contributes this year. I like these picks, but I'm not patient enough or willing to wait 2-3 years for them to develop. They need to show at least some kind of promise. Spenser Long was a risky pick, but if they did their work then he should contribute as well this year.

If none of these 4 contribute this year, it was a failed draft.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #63
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

IMO this draft sends a message to all the bench warmers, you need to play ST in order to be a benchwarmer if you don't you will be warming your couch seat at home.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #64
Fiversons
Special Teams

Per Redskins SOP... We draft Hocker, he beats out Kobra Kai... We release Kobra Kai, he becomes a great kicker for another team.... Hocker kicks well for a few years, but we lose confidence and sign (insert Kicker) 2016... We release Hocker... Hocker becomes a great Kicker for another team as and then we sign/draft another Kicker in 2018....
Fiversons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #65
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiversons View Post
Per Redskins SOP... We draft Hocker, he beats out Kobra Kai... We release Kobra Kai, he becomes a great kicker for another team.... Hocker kicks well for a few years, but we lose confidence and sign (insert Kicker) 2016... We release Hocker... Hocker becomes a great Kicker for another team as and then we sign/draft another Kicker in 2018....
ultimately field position is the objective of the game called football
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #66
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
ultimately field position is the objective of the game called football
NFL new kickoff rules could be coming soon.
NFL owners will vote on moving kickoffs to the 40 | ProFootballTalk

At this rate they'll be able to randomly select fans to do kickoffs and still not worry about missing out on touchbacks.

On a side note let me back in the glory of me being right for 9th time in my life:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
7(228) Zach Hocker - K - Arkansas - Grade F - I know its a 7th round pick but it kind of feels like a waste. Ironically I wouldn't be surprised if he caught on somewhere else but yeah, maybe they wanted competition for Kai in camp and thought they couldn't sign Hocker to a UDFA contract.
Redskins draft: Jay Gruden on his team’s selections
Quote:
“We got that extra pick in the seventh round and we had the extra pick and we felt good about the players that we drafted and we were wanting to bring in a kicker to training camp to compete with Kai [Forbath]. And instead of getting into the bidding process with every team come free agency, we thought we’d just go ahead and take one, the pick of the litter, so to speak.
#Winning #WL9-288,959,036 #TigerBlood #MessNeed2CleanUpTigerBloodStains #DowneyFastActing

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #67
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
NFL new kickoff rules could be coming soon.
NFL owners will vote on moving kickoffs to the 40 | ProFootballTalk

At this rate they'll be able to randomly select fans to do kickoffs and still not worry about missing out on touchbacks.

On a side note let me back in the glory of me being right for 9th time in my life:

Redskins draft: Jay Gruden on his team’s selections

#Winning #WL9-288,959,036 #TigerBlood #MessNeed2CleanUpTigerBloodStains #DowneyFastActing
Good call, and I like that quote by Gruden. It sounds like a well reasoned strategy. Competition is good. Even if Kai beats him for the spot, that 7th rounder will result in a better kicker.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #68
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I keep thinking the last option is "meth"...I gotta watch less "Breaking Bad"
I wonder what a "meth" draft would look like? Don't say this one.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #69
MTK
\m/

Nothing wrong with using a 7th rounder on a kicker. Looking at the numbers Kai definitely didn't have a good season. 24th in FG %, 30th in touchbacks, 32nd net kickoff avg.

At the very least it sends a message and if the rookie beats him out so be it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Nothing wrong with using a 7th rounder on a kicker. Looking at the numbers Kai definitely didn't have a good season. 24th in FG %, 30th in touchbacks, 32nd net kickoff avg.

What's been a jay gruden mantra this offseason, special teams must improve. This should come as no surprise. I'd say bring in a udfa punter too.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #71
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

i didn't realize it was that brutal for him last year.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #72
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

I actually liked this draft. I'm a believer that you should usually draft the best available player in the draft, since it's such a shot in the dark.

They easily could have just drafted the highest MLB or Safety to fit our needs, but they went after players who probably won't even start this year.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #73
44Deezel
The Starter

Random factoid: only 13 players drafted in the first round of the 2009 NFL draft are still with their original teams and only 6 have made a pro bowl. Brian Orakpo is one of them.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #74
The Dull Roar
Special Teams

This draft pretty much meets my expectations I had coming into day one of the draft. I can't wait to see what Jay, Bruce, and company do next year when they have a first.
The Dull Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #75
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
I'll give this a shot.

2 (47) Trent Murphy - OLB - Stanford - Grade B- - Really like the player, hate that we took him at this spot and at a position that actually has some depth. Might look a lot better next year if they can't resign Orakpo but still seems like a luxury pick. Hard to imagine him bulking up to much to play inside.

Apparently he came to the combine 10 pounds less then his listed playing weight so he might be a bit of a hard gainer.

3(66) Morgan Moses - OT - UVA - Grade A - Absolutely hate the game of chicken the front office played with the RT spot but it all worked out. Hopefully he can earn the starting job coming out of camp and will eventually become one of the leagues top bookend pairs along with Silverback.

3(78) Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska - Grade C - I would feel a lot better about this pick if he wasn't coming off season ending knee surgery. From the little I've seen he really looks like a solid player. Very nasty and hard working. Kind of wish they took him later but I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in a couple years. I also wouldn't be surprised if they cut him in a couple years either.

4(102) Bashaud Breeland - CB - Clemson - Grade B+ - I usually loathe CB's but Breeland doesn't seem to fit the stereotypical 'I don't feel like tackling' archetype for CB's. Seems to be very good at bump and run and as long as he's not asked to play on an island he should do really well. Also seems like he was good value for where he was picked.

5(142) Ryan Grant - WR - Tulane - Grade B - WR is a little crowded and I usually cringe at the idea of taking a WR however according to his reports he is excellent ball skills and runs crisp routes. Only knock seems to be he lacks big play speed. Regardless always a place in the league for guys that can catch and run good routes.

6(186) Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor - Grade B - For some reason I keep on think his name is Leon Sandcastle. Anyway love the agility and change of direction ability. Not sure if he'll make the team but should at least make the preseason more bearable.

7(217) Ted Bolser - TE - Indiana - Grade C- - Seems decent enough. I guess he could surprise but I'm not sure if he'll stick around. Kind of wish we got Jake Pedersen {TE Wisc}

7(228) Zach Hocker - K - Arkansas - Grade F - I know its a 7th round pick but it kind of feels like a waste. Ironically I wouldn't be surprised if he caught on somewhere else but yeah, maybe they wanted competition for Kai in camp and thought they couldn't sign Hocker to a UDFA contract.

I hadn't posted my opinion because I wanted to wait for the best insight. Using the above, the gpa would be 2.5 and slightly above average. That might be about right, although I don't agree with a failing grade for the 7th round kicker.