You Win as a Team and You Lose as One - Discipline Issues

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: You Win as a Team and You Lose as One - Discipline Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I like that idea, many coaches probably feel the same way, but the union would have a lot to say about that one.
Fining players for penalties has been practiced before and I'll bet some squad is doing it now. At the end of the year the fine money is given to charity. Then it becomes hard for even the union to complain.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
After seeing many rants about the same tired old criticisms (Snyder sucks/Vinny sucks - very original), people faulting one player or one unit for the loss, I want to bring up an underlying issue that set the tone for our team's loss on Sunday...team discipline.
The criticisms of upper management that you call "tired" only seem that way to you because the long list of mistakes made by Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato are one of the few constants of Snyder's reign as the owner of the Redskins. Naturally, those of us who believe that it all starts at the top are going to bring this up over and over again because the issue never goes away. It is the elephant in the room and it cannot be ignored.

Let me ask you this. Does it make any sense to you whatsoever that Dan Snyder would hire Joe Gibbs to establish a culture of winning at Redskins Park by building a coaching staff, roster, and style of play that could be carried into the future and then, when Joe left, not hire someone from the Gibbs coaching tree to carry the work forward? I think that was a huge mistake by Snyder that made virtually everything that Gibbs did for the Redskins a waste of time and effort.

Having the foundation built for him by Joe Gibbs and then moving away from that by hiring someone from another coaching tree was an act of extreme hubris on Snyder's part. I remember that, when Gibbs left, Snyder was asked during a press conference what he learned from Joe Gibbs. After a long pause, he finally said "patience". The truth is he learned next to nothing.

Anything that goes wrong during Zorn's tenure is ultimately the fault of Dan Snyder because he's the man that blew up the foundation Joe Gibbs built for him.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
KLHJ2
Inactive

Well, you are delusional if you believe that Snyder is going away anytime soon. Unless there is an untimely death, he is here to stay. Owenership of the Reskins is not some political office that you get to vote for. You just have to suck it up and hope that someday that he puts it all together. With that being said, I believe that it is reasonable to expect more professionalism from those players on the field and the coaching regardless of who the owner of the team is.

As a coach you either have to make a decision, either get your players in line and keep your job or you can play kiss ass and lose it. As the old cliche goes if you want to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs. The coaching staff cannot be affraid of breaking some of Mr. Snyders prized eggs to serve him his omelet.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Well, you are delusional if you believe that Snyder is going away anytime soon. Unless there is an untimely death, he is here to stay. Owenership of the Reskins is not some political office that you get to vote for. You just have to suck it up and hope that someday that he puts it all together. With that being said, I believe that it is reasonable to expect more professionalism from those players on the field and the coaching regardless of who the owner of the team is.

As a coach you either have to make a decision, either get your players in line and keep your job or you can play kiss ass and lose it. As the old cliche goes if you want to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs. The coaching staff cannot be affraid of breaking some of Mr. Snyders prized eggs to serve him his omelet.
I wrote nothing to suggest that Snyder would ever go away or that I had any say in his tenure as the owner of the Redskins. You made that up all by yourself.

Where did you get the idea that Zorn is kissing the players' posteriors? I don't sense that. Besides, I don't see lack of discipline as Zorn's problem.

The primary problem for Zorn is that he is running a dinky offense that he makes worse with his atrocious play calling. The D played well enough to win but the O didn't get the job done.

Still, I can't blame Zorn too much. He's trying very hard. He can't help it that he's over his head in a job that he never should have been hired to do in the first place.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The criticisms of upper management that you call "tired" only seem that way to you because the long list of mistakes made by Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato are one of the few constants of Snyder's reign as the owner of the Redskins. Naturally, those of us who believe that it all starts at the top are going to bring this up over and over again because the issue never goes away. It is the elephant in the room and it cannot be ignored.

Let me ask you this. Does it make any sense to you whatsoever that Dan Snyder would hire Joe Gibbs to establish a culture of winning at Redskins Park by building a coaching staff, roster, and style of play that could be carried into the future and then, when Joe left, not hire someone from the Gibbs coaching tree to carry the work forward? I think that was a huge mistake by Snyder that made virtually everything that Gibbs did for the Redskins a waste of time and effort.

Having the foundation built for him by Joe Gibbs and then moving away from that by hiring someone from another coaching tree was an act of extreme hubris on Snyder's part. I remember that, when Gibbs left, Snyder was asked during a press conference what he learned from Joe Gibbs. After a long pause, he finally said "patience". The truth is he learned next to nothing.

Anything that goes wrong during Zorn's tenure is ultimately the fault of Dan Snyder because he's the man that blew up the foundation Joe Gibbs built for him.
I think that the point is that Danny is with us to stay so complaining about him serves no purpose. We might as well find other things to talk about because ripping Danny, even if he merits it, is a pointless exercise.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

Well, a couple of points with this.

Many of the coaches did return after Gibbs left.

But I think what you're trying to say is why go with Zorn and the WCO as your head coach and offensive system? To which I would say, as much as I revere Joe Gibbs a) he didn't really leave us with any strong head coach (some would argue Gregg Williams, personally not a fan of his as a head coach) and b) even in Gibbs' four years the style of play was a bit inconsistent. 2004-Joe Gibbs mainly get his feet wet again, 2005-Gibbs brings Musgrave in to be the QB coach and Musgrave convinces Gibbs to start using the shotgun and add a little WCO flair (and we put up strong offensive numbers), 2006-Gibbs brings in Al Saunders (more similar to Gibbs than Musgrave, but still a bit more complex and pass happy), 2007-Gibbs reluctantly brings Saunders back.

So I guess the question is what style of play were we actually carrying over. And, interestingly enough, when Williams was coaching in Buffalo they ran a West Coast Offense. Personally I wish we still had Musgrave on the staff, but that's a topic for another time

I believe he has learned patience. I just hope that he's not patient just to show that he's patient. Meaning that if a change is needed at the end of this season we make that change. Not just continue as is to prove any point.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #22
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I see it differently. This isn't a JZ problem. It's an organizational problem. There are a few players that have the ear of upper management IMO. I don't have proof, but this is what I've heard from past players. This is also how it appears to me.

Zorn should've been the man to stick foot to ass. He's more than capable of doing it. Have you noticed his demeanor this year? It's Mr. Nice Guy now. The fire is gone. Clinton Portis should've benched for talking trash about his coach. Santana Moss should've been fined and benched for punching that guy in the helmet. Did it happen?

It was the same way with Joe. Joe is a notorious coddler though. Look at the rat faced brat he has racing for him. I'm not bad mouthing Joe. He just very, Christian. That's who he is. He had to eat a lot of crow because of these players. That's why he's gone. Don't believe that BS about his grandson. He's out there with his race team all the time, February through November.

They could've had a foot to ass coach. He was actually the only person I think that wanted the job, Greg Williams. The point is upper management powder puffs the players. On Sundays that's who we see, softies. Not every player fits that mold, but too many do.
You maybe on to something here. Greg Williams a no non sense coach who would get in players ass.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #23
Defensewins
Playmaker

Interesting point...discipline.
Our players did not play in control. They appeared nervous, some played and acted like rookies.
I think Campbell, Moss and Hall's play best displayed it.
Campbell was having one of those frustrating days where the harder he tried the worse his performance got. Campbell seems to be not only battling the other team, he is battling himself. Campbell needs to occasionally have some fun on the field. Laugh a little. His ass hole is so tight during big games he couldn't shit a BB. Basic things like stepping up in the pocket, holding the ball higher and sensing the pass rush, all basic stuff went out the window. He needs to get laid before kick off. Something. Smoke a fatty. Something to relax that brain, he is thinking way too much.
Another basic fundamental tackling. Greg Williams (hate him or not) was the first person I thought of Sunday when I saw that pathetic display of tackling. That was the worst display of tackling I have seen on a Redskins defense since the Spurrier Days. What happened to wrapping up, tackling at the waist? This is all fundamentals and basic shit.
We have an incredibly talented defense. But why is that Blache can not disguise a blitz to save his life. It is almost like he tells the blitzing player, 'after you break the huddle run up to the line of scrimmage, jump up and down, stomp your feet and make the QB aware that you are blitzing.'
This was one game and we will rebound against the weaker teams.
However, if we are still playing like this in in week 7 against Philly or week 10 against the Cowboys, there is a bigger issue here than just early season jitters.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

In Hall's defense, he did own up to not performing well. I watched the interview. He didn't just blow off or dismiss his lack of skill, like some of his other team mates have done in the past. There was no smile or BS attitude, he was strait faced and I he spoke English. I think he made the effort but he came up short as far as skill comes.