Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Report: Peyton Manning Needs 2nd Neck Surgery

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #46
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Report: Peyton Manning Needs 2nd Neck Surgery

I can see Jim Cadwell now flippen through the Tony Dungy strategy playbook and seeing a blank page with big block letters "Oh Sh*t!!!" under the heading what to do if Peyton goes down.

The Colts shoulda been more prepared for this possibility, its no secret Peyton was complaining about his neck during the lockout. Cadwell is gonna have a hardtime and with little to no running game to lean on makes it tougher.

Houston has a great opportunity now, blood is in the water and they better take advantage of it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #47
12thMan
MVP

Colts just announced that Manning will stop practicing, don't know when he'll be back.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #48
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I've read that link a few times now on ESPN. I am going to attempt to give my take on it, hopefully to clear a few things up because there are alot of rumors flying right now. I am not a professional athlete, but i have had a few surgeries in my lifetime, one of which has really affected my other passion besides football, Mixed Martial Arts. I can kind of relate to Peyton in terms of what this surgery/recover is doing to him even though his heart and mind is on his sport.

My thoughts are this: There is no second surgery planned on Peyton because at this poin the doctors are not certain that a 2nd surgery will make things any better than the 1st. Peyton is also complaining of a sore back, and he did not previously have back injuries. It is quite possible that he is dealing with some nerve damage that may have been caused by the surgery, or possibly was not fully resolved from the surgery. At the time of his surgery in May, he had two neck surgeries within 15 months, and if he is still having lingering nerve damage now, it may never fully go away.

The article spells out in clear language that Peyton's arm strength is not even close to what it was before the surgery, and it is certainly not up to NFL standards. This is possibly the most telling fact that Peyton may be physically done. The article doesn't say that his arm strength is "not yet" returned, but rather that it "plateaued". As in saying it is as good as it's going to be.

My guess is that peyton may take a few more weeks to see if his arm strength returns, but if it doesnt, i think he will do the classy thing and not risk his life or future health to try and continue to play football on a bad arm/neck/back. It's obvious his surgery was life changing. Peyton has a great football mind and I'm sure he will get involved right away, probably with the colts, in some other capacity.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #49
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here but I predict Houston will mop the floor with Indy in week 1 if the Colts don't have Manning.
3-12 isn't out of the question. I see them only having a chance against Cincy, Carolina, and Jacksonville.

The way they're built, it's all around Manning. Their D is built to just limit the score juuuuust enough so the offense's 21+ points is enough to win. Their running game is just to "keep the D honest".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #50
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
3-12 isn't out of the question. I see them only having a chance against Cincy, Carolina, and Jacksonville.

The way they're built, it's all around Manning. Their D is built to just limit the score juuuuust enough so the offense's 21+ points is enough to win. Their running game is just to "keep the D honest".
When did the NFL go to a 15 game schedule? :p

I agree with the rest of your post though. The roster is built around Manning. No Manning = the Colts will look a lot different. If SS is right and this is the end of Manning's career there's no shame in walking away now. He's had an epic career, he's got a ring, he's a surefire first ballot HOFer, I mean there's nothing left to prove for him. Sure he won't beat Favre's records but that doesn't mean anything. And yes, the Colts do deserve a lot of flack for never preparing for life without Manning. They put all their money on him, and it's quite possible they'll get burned.

Last edited by mooby; 09-05-2011 at 04:05 PM.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #51
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
When did the NFL go to a 15 game schedule? :p

I agree with the rest of your post though. The roster is built around Manning. No Manning = the Colts will look a lot different. If SS is right and this is the end of Manning's career there's no shame in walking away now. He's had an epic career, he's got a ring, he's a surefire first ballot HOFer, I mean there's nothing left to prove for him. Sure he won't beat Favre's records but that doesn't mean anything. And yes, the Colts do deserve a lot of flack for never preparing for life without Manning. They put all their money on him, and it's quite possible they'll get burned.
3-13, I mean. lol

They'll get the Luck bailout...unless their remaining studs like Freeney, Wayne, Clark, and Mathis refuse to comply with that plan.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #52
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
3-13, I mean. lol

They'll get the Luck bailout...unless their remaining studs like Freeney, Wayne, Clark, and Mathis refuse to comply with that plan.
They do have talent at other positions, but Curtis Painter or a fresh off the street recently retired Kerry Collins starting for them? If people thought our qb situation was bad, just look at theirs without Manning. And I hope they don't get Luck, but I'd rather see him go to the Colts than an NFC team.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #53
GusFrerotte

They can have Luck. He looked great Sat night, but it is still a 50/50 proposition if he can adjust very well to the pros. Odds are he will, but you never know. It probably will take him a couple years like it did with Peyton to get "it" down pat, then he will be a probable HOF Qb franchise guy.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #54
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
They do have talent at other positions, but Curtis Painter or a fresh off the street recently retired Kerry Collins starting for them? If people thought our qb situation was bad, just look at theirs without Manning. And I hope they don't get Luck, but I'd rather see him go to the Colts than an NFC team.
yeah, it'd be awful if he went to the redsk... oh wait.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #55
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

You know what I mean lol. I don't think we'll be in the running for him though, we've have to sacrifice an arm and a leg just to move up. Which I might be okay with, depending on how everything shakes out.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #56
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Dallas has a better chance to get Luck than we do. We're just too good.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #57
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Also it seems that Manning could miss more longer. If he is out in 2011, the Colts season goes down in flames.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #58
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Also it seems that Manning could miss more longer. If he is out in 2011, the Colts season goes down in flames.
Lolol
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #59
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I assume this was talked about in another thread...but has anyone corrected ESPN and told them that London Fletcher is tied with manning in games played in a row and his not like 50 behind. Or behind Ronde Barber...

Come on SmootSmack, what kinda organization are you running over there?!?!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #60
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

And SmootSmack (insert tag here if its possible to make sure you read it....). What did they get rid of ESPN Zones! I still have money on a card that I want to use! I tried going to one in Baltimore a few months ago to catch a game and it was gone!