Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Preseason Week 3)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #46
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Preseason Week 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
He is already better then Jordan Palmer, Dennis Dixon, Kyle Boller, Alex Smith to name a few. I bet he wouldn't make it one day if he was released. You gotta keep Colt, if we cut him whose going to make videos with Chris Cooley?
It kinda amazes me the level of assuredness that fans have about a guy who has never taken a regular season snap and has looked awful this preseason and is probably 50/50 to make the final 53 as a 3rd string QB. I really wonder if people like him because guys can relate to him. He's not that big, he slings it around like it's a backyard game, he's just like me! Well, there's a reason you are on the couch dude.

Sorry for the mini rant..

On to last night:
-The secondary didn't do a very good job of adjusting early on, but if this were a regular season game, I don't think that Hall would be isolated on Moss nearly as much.
-The penalties were ridiculous. Preseason or not, it's the little things that kill you. Getting an unsportsmanlike from the bench? That's not keeping it medium, Z.
-Shaun Suisham, buh-bye. That's exactly why you have competition now, because you miss to many FG and seem confused as to why. Now I don't know if Rayner is any better but I've seen enough of Shazam.

This may not be the right place for this but I think Z/Vinny could make 2 gutsy calls that could improve this team's explosiveness. Mitchell is at least the #5 WR and Thomas is probably the #4. Could Thomas replace Rock as the primary KR? Mason and Aldridge gave a dynamic we haven't had in a long time. Do we explore an opportunity to trade Betts? Portis, Mason, Aldridge is much more dynamic to me than Portis/Betts/Rock. Just a thought.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #47
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Plus having Crabtree didnt hurt either.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #48
GusFrerotte

We will see about Brennan vs Daniel against the Jags. Should be interesting to say the least. If Coach doesn't put in Chase, that is just going to piss me off. We got a steal in Marko it seems and might get a steal in Daniel if he plays like he did against the Steelers.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #49
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Harrell was more of a system QB then a pure passer.
Funny, cause, you could say the same thing about PJ5.

Doesn't necessarily validate the notion, but anything Brennan has done is something that (I believe) Harrell has done better.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #50
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Chase does have the better looking girlfriend
Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #51
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUCHANON101 View Post
Plus having Crabtree didnt hurt either.
Davone Bess was no slouch.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #52
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
This may not be the right place for this but I think Z/Vinny could make 2 gutsy calls that could improve this team's explosiveness. Mitchell is at least the #5 WR and Thomas is probably the #4. Could Thomas replace Rock as the primary KR? Mason and Aldridge gave a dynamic we haven't had in a long time. Do we explore an opportunity to trade Betts? Portis, Mason, Aldridge is much more dynamic to me than Portis/Betts/Rock. Just a thought.
I did had same thought for a while, but then Zorn and coaches decided to give 3rd down duties to Betts.. Therefore, I highly doubt they would give up Betts.. Zorn and Smith will have difficult time deciding who makes the #3 spot, I guess this year might be the one when we say good bye to Rock.. I'm pulling for both Mason and Alridge, they just seem to be too good for us to let them both go (although we saw Alridge for only short time, he would need to do really well at the last game to convince coaches I believe).. And Dorsey goes to PS..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #53
53Fan
Franchise Player

As far as CB goes apparently Zorn sees something in him. You know Zorn....the QB guru. Mitchell made a good adjustment on his TD catch.

Brennan Bounces Back After Costly Interception

Last edited by 53Fan; 08-29-2009 at 10:09 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #54
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Colt doesn't have the arm to be worth called anything close to Favre or 'like Brett Favre'.
I think you will find a few similarities, He throws side arm, He takes chances with the ball.

When Bret was drafted by the Falcons they tried to change his throwing motion and decided he was terrible and traded him to the Packers. The Pack allowed him to throw however he wanted but Holmgren taught him the WCO and allowed him to have his mistakes in order to get better.

I'm in no way saying Colt is Bret now. Just saying he could be almost as good as Bret someday. My choice of QB's for the Skins in order would be JC, Daniel, Brennan. Only cause I like how Chase looks comfortable, his poise, his decisiveness, his quickness to get the ball off, and he can scramble.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #55
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Funny, cause, you could say the same thing about PJ5.

Doesn't necessarily validate the notion, but anything Brennan has done is something that (I believe) Harrell has done better.
Wasnt he cut by the BROWNS? Anderson and Quinn are good but he couldnt make the 3rd string? He couldnt even stay in camp until the initial cuts started. says it all for me. End Arguement.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #56
Defensewins
Playmaker

This was a dress rehersal for both teams. Both teams showed up ready to slug it out. Made for entertaining football.
Even Zorn started calling plays for Campbell to throw downfield!? What a concept!
Smoot started for absent C. Rogers and had a better than usual type game. Forcing DeAngelo Hall to play more man on R. Moss, which got him beat. To be expected.
Redskins might have a good stable of young RB's right now? huh? Great problem to have. Marcus Mason proved himself against the Pats#1 D. Mason never seems to get caught behind the line of scrimage, always gaining yards. I really like that. Mason has to be close to making this team.
I also want to see Aldridge & fb Eddie Williams with the starting O-line. That could be interesting.
Marko continues to look good. He needs to make this team.
Inspiring M. Kelly and D. Thomas to make some plays. Welcome. Where have you guys been hiding?
TE Fred Davis has been quietly making some great blocks. On the first TD Fred Davis and Samuels floored big R. Seymour which got Mason in.
I also like S #29 Lendy Holmes. He needs to make this team.
Cb #25 Kevin Barnes made a an interception.
Kareem Moore, Chris Wilson and Lorenzo Alexander are making plays on special teams.
DE Andre Carter is healthy and playing well.
QB Chase Daniel is making things interesting for Cult.

Last edited by Defensewins; 08-30-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #57
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I think you will find a few similarities, He throws side arm, He takes chances with the ball.

When Bret was drafted by the Falcons they tried to change his throwing motion and decided he was terrible and traded him to the Packers. The Pack allowed him to throw however he wanted but Holmgren taught him the WCO and allowed him to have his mistakes in order to get better.

I'm in no way saying Colt is Bret now. Just saying he could be almost as good as Bret someday. My choice of QB's for the Skins in order would be JC, Daniel, Brennan. Only cause I like how Chase looks comfortable, his poise, his decisiveness, his quickness to get the ball off, and he can scramble.
That's probably a Walsh thing to not directly tamper with throwing motions in order to 'fix' them them and instead focus more on the footwork, how to drop back on certain plays, where on the receiver's body to throw it to, etc.

I meant arm strength. Brett could get away with taking and chances since he zip it in before the defender gets to the ball because he had a big arm to unleash the ball with high velocity along with his other talents.

Colt may become as good as Brett--I find it unlikely, although he may become as sucessful as him in a offense that plays to his strengths, although he has to realize his arm strength is not one of them--, but it will not be with Favre/Cutler's playstyle in full at the very least because he doesn't have one of the things that is needed to avoid the bad consequences that comes with it often enough.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #58
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Wasnt he cut by the BROWNS? Anderson and Quinn are good but he couldnt make the 3rd string? He couldnt even stay in camp until the initial cuts started. says it all for me. End Arguement.
Well Colt is going to be cut by the Redskins, so I guess they'll be in the same boat after all.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #59
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well Colt is going to be cut by the Redskins, so I guess they'll be in the same boat after all.
Remains to be seen. RIGHT NOW he is on an NFL roster while Graham Crackers didnt last a month.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #60
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Remains to be seen. RIGHT NOW he is on an NFL roster while Graham Crackers didnt last a month.
The point was there's no market for a player with Colt's skill set. You can cut him, and no one in the league will touch him.

It allows the Redskins to fit him on the PS if they so choose. Or they can cut bait for good. Depends on what they see in him.