Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What about Ruben Brown for guard spot?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
RedskinPete
The Starter

What about Ruben Brown for guard spot?

He became a free agent from the Bills? He is 32 [6-3, 310] and been a Pro bowler 8 times. But I read he didn't like Gregg Williams that much. Still Willams will not be running the offense Joe G will!!! You can have the best running back but if your line is not good he can't run!!!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I say definitely not, the guy was a locker-room problem last year and I think he's been to the Pro-Bowl on reputation alone the last couple years.
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

We're set with Thomas at one spot and hopefully Dockery can continue to develop and flourish under Bugel. Someone like Brown as a veteran backup wouldn't be a bad idea though. Who knows if Fiore will ever return to form.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I conqur. Brown is going to want a ton of money I would imagine. Thomas is a solidifyed #1 gaurd, and Dockery really showed a lot of promise last year, after those Philladelphia/Buffalo debacles. One of the key " continuity areas " is the offensive line, if these guys play together, its better that way. Take a pass on Ruben.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
BrunellFan
Special Teams

Completely out of the question. Our offensive line is fine right now and we have 3 all-pros starting for us right now. Spend the money wisely and go for position we really need.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Defensewins
Playmaker

Don't be so quick to dismiss the signing of Rueben Brown. Rueben Brown is not a bad locker room guy. He was suspended and cut because he voiced his dipleasure with the play of Drew Bledsoe during last season. Specificly that Bledsoe holds on to the ball too long and get sacked all the time. The sacks were making the team and the O-line look bad. The head coach Williams disagreed and later lost his job. The Bills are now looking to replace Bledsoe.
I just moved from Boston MA. where I saw Bledsoe play for many years.
Bledsoe was/is the most overated QB ever and is very slow to get rid of the ball.
Screw his arm strength, he has the distinction of being on the most sacked QB's in the NFL. Tom Brady came in behind that same O-line and took the Patriots to the Superbowl. I freaked out when I heard a rumor the Redskins were interested in Bledsoe before he went to Bills.
Rueben Brown is a legit Probowl O-lineman. The skins should sign him to play or for depth. O-lineman get hurt every year, having a great backup is smart.
Rueben would be cheap too. $1-2M a year.
Defensewins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 PM   #7
Ghost
Special Teams

I'd be fine with signing Brown if the price is right ... but the center position should be a higher priority than guard.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
IowaSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

IMO, I don't think we should be getting older on the O line. With Bugel in the house, I think we will have an excellent O line next year. The only question mark is center, which I would hope that Friedman will be resigned. But if there is no early activity for him, the plan may include a move of Dave Fiore to center. Derrick Dockery is the future at LG.
IowaSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
cpayne5
Playmaker

We still have Fiore, right? Dockery has supplanted him as starter anyway, in my opinion. Why bring a 3rd guy at that position? I too believe that center should be upgraded before any other Oline position.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
cpayne5
Playmaker

Not that there are any slouches at guard or tackle anyway.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
jsarno
Franchise Player

I actually really like our line. They completely underachieved last year, but with Bugel here, I expect that line to perform like a well oiled machine. (it really is amazing what you can do with good coaching)
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote