Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #346
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Dolphins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
That last sentence about Locker is what drives me crazy! When are we going to stop sitting on our asses hoping that a QB is going to fall from the sky? It's going on 30 years now. the whole football world knew that Tennessee had interest in Locker. If they saw him as their future at QB then they should have traded up ahead of Tennesee. We could have our future QB gaining valuable experience right now instead of wasting time with BRex. A couple extra draft picks is a small price to pay for locking up a franchise QB...

*sighs*

The year before, Shanny tried to move up from #4 to the #1 spot to grab Bradford, but the Rams decided to hold onto the pick. Sometimes you guys make it sound like trading is so easy that a caveman can do it. It takes two teams to make a trade happen and the other team may not want to do business. Also, if you like the guy (QB), but aren't willing to sacrifice multiple picks just to move up then you stay put. That would mean no Ryan Kerrigan and no Hankerson and probably a couple other guys.

I'm willing to bet you that many of those teams above Tennessee didn't want to move down. Cleveland was the only one and they got a kings ransom and then some for that pick.

Let's talk about the great picks we did have. You realize this has been one of the best drafts the Redskins has have, and yet we are still unhappy because we didn't reach for a QB.

41 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 TD, 4 FF........our defense needed the help and Kerrigan was the smart and best choice the coaching staff could have made.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #347
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Don't we have two guys who can play Center? Montgomery, who's doing a bang up job, and whoever filled in when they moved Montgomery to LT.

I too would like more quality depth at Guard but RT Brown is not impressing me. Maybe he never did but they definitly need a replacement at RT.

I'd go QB round 1, RT or OL round 2, and look for FS, CB, or another WR in round 3. If they can work another magic trick with some of our picks and turn 7 picks into 12 or 14 then we can get some more OL.
The Skins have two guys who have played center this season. Neither of them would be listed in the top 20 players at that position in the NFL. The only "bang up job" being done here is when the center fires out and bangs his head into the opponent's defensive tackle.

The Skins need more than "quality depth at guard". If they actually had two top-shelf offensive guards, they could run the ball straight ahead much more effectively than they do. In fact, the Skins straight-ahead running attack is pretty bleak.

Jamaal Brown had a Pro Bowl season and then got hurt. His Pro Bowl days are over; when healthy he is an adequate offensive tackle - - not "great", not "a stud", not "one of the best in the league" but adequate.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #348
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
*sighs*

The year before, Shanny tried to move up from #4 to the #1 spot to grab Bradford, but the Rams decided to hold onto the pick. Sometimes you guys make it sound like trading is so easy that a caveman can do it. It takes two teams to make a trade happen and the other team may not want to do business. Also, if you like the guy (QB), but aren't willing to sacrifice multiple picks just to move up then you stay put. That would mean no Ryan Kerrigan and no Hankerson and probably a couple other guys.

I'm willing to bet you that many of those teams above Tennessee didn't want to move down. Cleveland was the only one and they got a kings ransom and then some for that pick.

Let's talk about the great picks we did have. You realize this has been one of the best drafts the Redskins has have, and yet we are still unhappy because we didn't reach for a QB.

41 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 TD, 4 FF........our defense needed the help and Kerrigan was the smart and best choice the coaching staff could have made.
Every pick has a price. And I think most teams will move down and it's finding a team that's willing to move up and pay the price that keeps more trades from happening. The Redskins either didn't try or didn't offer enough.

You make some good points about the players they did get and I am a Shanny/Allen supporter...I like the general direction of the team but I think they should have been more aggressive about getting a young Qb the past 2 years. And as much as i like some of their draft picks I would have traded all of them to have Bradford and at least some of them for locker. It's not the 80's anymore...the teams that win in this league are the teams with the top QB's and we are not even in the game yet...

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #349
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Every pick has a price. And I think most teams will move down and it's finding a team that's willing to move up and pay the price that keeps more trades from happening. The Redskins either didn't try or didn't offer enough.
And sometimes that price is astronomically high. If a team is in absolute love with a top 5 prospect, we're talking about maybe 1 and a half Mike Ditka draft trades.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #350
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Maybe we could make this weeks game more interesting and fun/funny if we had the "SmootSmack Down" prior to the game? Then maybe we can watch and laugh at how much actually becomes reality.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #351
#56fanatic
The Starter

Regarding the posts of playcalling :

Kyle Shannahan ran a very potent attack in Houston, so I dont believe the issue is playcalling. The issue is the horses he has running the plays. Now, some may say he'd curtail his calls to what they do best. Well, find something this group does best is the questions i pose.

Regarding the Torain is worthless comments

He was injured in training camp, all along coming in as the unquestioned #1 back based on his performance last year. All of the sudden he's at #3 on the depth chart. Now he plays a game, sits a game, plays a game... Its hard for a running back, especially in this system to gain any sort of rhythm. I have seen torain run, and he runs quite well in this system. He is young and I would hate to give up on him. I guess the question is Hightower, Helu, Torain.. which two do you keep?

Rex -

Not alot you can say.. He obviously isnt' our future, but he is our present. He made some good throws and I thought overall our offense looked better than it had the previous 3 games. THe interceptions...1st one Hankerson fell down. the 2nd one, I keep playing it back in my brain, and I just keep seeing the receiver running behind the LB on that play. Why he didn't come infront of him I dont know. Either way, a pass that shouldn't have been thrown. I think Rex is definitely pressing in this game. We have to get the run game working. If it works, Rex becomes more effective with deep balls, and stretch roll outs, boots and so on.

Defensively -

I am baffled. Why our corners consistantly play so far off the receivers every damn down. Hall just about gives up 5 and 10 yard completions like nothing. Why when we blitz are our corners not on the line of scrimmage pressing the receivers?? That freaking kills me. At this point, we have nothing to lose, I would be extremely aggressive on the Defensive side of the ball, try to create turnovers because our offense is terrible at getting points on the board.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #352
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
And sometimes that price is astronomically high. If a team is in absolute love with a top 5 prospect, we're talking about maybe 1 and a half Mike Ditka draft trades.
Of course...and for Bradford I would have paid that price. I said it then and i still think it now. And the way Shanny talked about Bradford after the draft was over confirmed it. If they thought he was their guy then there is no price to high IMO. Locker I wanted but not at a "Ditka" type price.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #353
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Of course...and for Bradford I would have paid that price. I said it then and i still think it now. And the way Shanny talked about Bradford after the draft was over confirmed it. If they thought he was their guy then there is no price to high IMO. Locker I wanted but not at a "Ditka" type price.
There is a price too high. If his moves delays the rebuild for too long and thus results in sucking, then the fans will want his head or the owner won't renew his contract. If we traded 3 entire drafts for Bradford, our roster would have been ruined to the point where the Rams are now, and Sam has not made miracles out of such a roster.

The Rams could have thought the same thing, except the other way around. They have a Franchise QB right in their lap. In order to compensate, three, four, maybe even five drafts would be needed. Imagine if the 'Skins somehow had the #1 pick for Luck or Bradford. If some team wanted to give you 5 full drafts for that QB, would you take it?

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.

Last edited by SirClintonPortis; 11-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #354
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Good article, this supports the points I have made about MS/KS and not modifying their system to the in-house talent.

John Fox: Tim Tebow would be ‘screwed’ in a normal offense - Shutdown Corner - NFL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

From the link:
It's beautiful. How many NFL coaches have lost their jobs through the years because they have a specific way of doing things, and they will not deviate from that way, no matter what the talent around them dictates? Fox has not only been flexible, he's taken it to an absolute extreme. It's such a massive change of pace from the traditional copycat nature of the NFL that it almost makes me want to root for Fox and Tebow.

The reality for John Fox, though, is that he doesn't have a Brady, Brees or Rodgers. He has what he has, and he's embracing it full force. That's a pretty good way to go about things.

I read this same article i guess 2 days ago and thought about posting it somewhere but couldnt think of what thread it fit best in. Im really glad you posted it and i completely agree that being flexible is a pretty good way to go about things.

Obviously you design your team and get players you think are best suited to fit within those parameters, but when you are unable to get everything you want or are just dealing with injuries like every other team you have to be flexible. The NFL is way to dynamic for a coach not to be.

The NFL is a very unique sport in that it’s the ultimate team sport, which makes it the ultimate coach’s sport. While the nfl has about the same amount of teams as other major sports it requires many more athletes then every other sport and almost every single starter only does one thing and has only done that one thing since college. It also a complicated sport to learn and doesn’t have as many “farm systems”, if any, compared to other major sports and the US is really the only country that produces athletes needed for the sport. Careers are also shorter partly because pro players start playing later but also because injuries are the norm and expected at every position. There are also barely any games compared to others sports, which makes every game a must win. And there’s a salary cap and floor so you cant just buy a team.

The point is the only way a coach can have every player he wants for every position executing each assignment while fighting with an opposing player attempting to do the opposite is by dreaming. Every once in while it may happen and you take advantage of those situation because you know that its not gonna last for long. The rest of the time you take advantage of what you got and call plays with more square holes and less round ones.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #355
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Also a big kudos to Fox. I never thought he was going to do the things it would take to make Tebow successful. I thought he was going to stick Tebow in, not make any adjustments, and say there I told you he wouldn’t work out. Instead he swallowed his pride and did things to take advantage of Tebow's unconventional qb skills
Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #356
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
There is a price too high. If his moves delays the rebuild for too long and thus results in sucking, then the fans will want his head or the owner won't renew his contract. If we traded 3 entire drafts for Bradford, our roster would have been ruined to the point where the Rams are now, and Sam has not made miracles out of such a roster.

The Rams could have thought the same thing, except the other way around. They have a Franchise QB right in their lap. In order to compensate, three, four, maybe even five drafts would be needed. Imagine if the 'Skins somehow had the #1 pick for Luck or Bradford. If some team wanted to give you 5 full drafts for that QB, would you take it?
No...I would not take it if I had Luck rated as a franchise QB. IMO there is no price to high for 10-15 years of great QB play. If you tell me Luck will play as well as Brady or Manning for his entire career then I will pay almost anything. I like the general direction of the team but we will NEVER see any real progress until we get a QB...

Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #357
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
No...I would not take it if I had Luck rated as a franchise QB. IMO there is no price to high for 10-15 years of great QB play. If you tell me Luck will play as well as Brady or Manning for his entire career then I will pay almost anything. I like the general direction of the team but we will NEVER see any real progress until we get a QB...
And that's why Shanahan couldn't get Bradford. It's not that he didn't try. It's just that the Rams weren't budging one damn since they needed a franchise QB as well. You can try to pay the seller all you want, but if the seller isn't selling his goods, the transaction isn't happening.