Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Russell notes from player practice v.John Beck is not Jesus, Fred Davis focused?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Chris Russell notes from player practice v.John Beck is not Jesus, Fred Davis focused?

Hello Football!

The impressive
Quote:
1. Rex Grossman showed good velocity, good spin on his throws, and pretty good accuracy overall -- with no pass rush and a vanilla defense in 7-on-7 situations. Grossman, hooked up with #1 target (for now) Anthony Armstrong in stride on the far side of the field and also hit Brandon Banks on a perfect sideline out route.

2. Fred Davis lost 10 + pounds, and told us he changed his eating habits and doesn't drink alcohol as much. Obviously, he had the one off-season incident a few months ago, so maybe that was the wake up call he needed. Davis caught everything I saw thrown towards him, with the exception of one deep post that he had to stretch out a good deal for.
Not so impressive

Quote:
1. John Beck - as you may have read already - was throwing some wobbly footballs and looked tired. Perhaps, it was the fact that his flight did not arrive according to Beck until the wee hours of Tuesday morning, from his off-season home in San Diego. On one particular throw, right in front of the assembled media -- Beck threw a ugly duckling that was easily picked off by CB Kevin Barnes.

2. I know they all have their reasons -- but it bothers me and I am sure others -- that Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth, Santana Moss, Carlos Rogers, Phillip Buchanon, OJ Atogwe, LaRon Landry, Trent Williams, Phillip Daniels, Adam Carriker, Reed Doughty, Robert Henson, Nick Sundberg, Graham Gano, Artis Hicks, Jammal Brown, Stephon Heyer, Jarvis Jenkins and Aldrick Robinson (am I missing anyone?) did not make it.
more on linked page:

Hello Football!
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Chris Russell notes from player practice v.John Beck is not Jesus, Fred Davis focused?

I take the news about DAvis as more substantive than the review of Beck. Would like to hear that he threw well, but can't make much of one day.

Davis, on the other hand, sounds like he's put more into offseason prep. He's coming up on a contract year so it's not too much of a surprise. I really hope we can keep he & Cooley in the future.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Chris Russell notes from player practice v.John Beck is not Jesus, Fred Davis focused?

He did mention that Doughty and Carriker just became fathers, but didn't mention that Atogwe just got married, Robinson (and I think Henson) had their flights cancelled due to bad weather (and will be there today), Jenkins and Trent Williams are working out with other players closer to home (though I agree it'd be nice to see them with the rest of the team)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Longtimefan
Playmaker

[quote] 1. Rex Grossman showed good velocity, good spin on his throws, and pretty good accuracy overall -- with no pass rush and a vanilla defense in 7-on-7 situations. Grossman, hooked up with #1 target (for now) Anthony Armstrong in stride on the far side of the field and also hit Brandon Banks on a perfect sideline out route. >>

1. John Beck - as you may have read already - was throwing some wobbly footballs and looked tired. Perhaps, it was the fact that his flight did not arrive according to Beck until the wee hours of Tuesday morning, from his off-season home in San Diego. On one particular throw, right in front of the assembled media -- Beck threw a ugly duckling that was easily picked off by CB Kevin Barnes. [unquote]

To further illustrate the uncertainty of opinions and how they can vary over time, polls more often than not can be a direct indicator.

Portal's recent poll has Rex Grossman @ 25%..reduced by John Beck @ 50% to be the Redskins QB to start the 2011 season. Our very own Warpath poll [created by SS] at the conclusion of last season concluded with Grossman @ 41.79% while Beck managed to wrestle a meager 3.48% to be the starter...a wide disparity between then and now. Perhaps somewhere between the numbers resides the truth and we will actually have a QB to begin the 2011 season whenever that might be.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

I really don't fault anyone for not being there. Especially guys not even under contract.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Uncle Skins
Camp Scrub

Its nice to see the players gather up and try to build continuity for the season. Let's hope its for an on time start in September.

http://twitter.com/#!/UncleSkins
Sincerely,
Uncle Skins
Uncle Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I'm not woo worried about Beck's ducks in May. If he's still tossing wobble-balls in August, then I'll be concerned.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I'm not woo worried about Beck's ducks in May. If he's still tossing wobble-balls in August, then I'll be concerned.
me neither, im not so sure he will even be on the team at start of season.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
redsk1
The Starter

Good to talk about actual football.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Defensewins
Playmaker

It is a mistake to judge player performance from these workouts. Some guys perform better in live contact drills and others do worse. The no pass rush and vanilla defense in 7-on-7 situation is a joke. I understand we are all Jones-ing for football, but this is not football. It is more of a kumbaya feel good thing and a chance for the guys to get a work out in the heat. But hold the QB evaluations until they have the pads on and the hitting begins.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I really don't fault anyone for not being there. Especially guys not even under contract.
I agree. If I were a UDFA, I might go and not participate. I read that Kerrigan took out insurance, and for a first round pick that's an option, but if some of these lower level guys blow a knee, they're done. I know Jenkins stayed home and I dont blame them at all for it.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Several college players are insured from their college days, until they sign their first NFL contract. Kerrigan is one of them, Jenkins is not