Joe Paterno dies at age 85

Other Sports

Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Joe Paterno dies at age 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
However, nobody "attacked" you in this thread. They disagreed with you. Djnemo said you were irritating, but I wouldn't say that's being attacked. Telling someone to "f*ck off and die" and calling them a POS however is a different story..

I perceived it as an attack because I voiced my opinion on the matter and was "insensitive". So I'm being "insensitive" to a man who enabled child molestation, but they aren't being "insensitive" to the victims or people who have suffered? Hypocritical and insulting. I told him to **** off and die because he said I didn't know what I was talking about. Imagine telling those same families and victims that. Yeah guys, you don't know what you are talking about.

As I said, it's insulting to the victims and people who have gone through this type of stuff to glorify a man that sit back and enabled. It really is a slap in the face to them.

I'm done with this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I understand what u are saying in fact I agree, he was not such a great man as made out to be, I say he was a great coach obviously but not a human especially after knowing what those kids went through. Also if you were abused as a kid I'm sorry for u man, and I hope who ever did it gets or got what they deserved

It's ok man and I thank you. I don't know what to categorize it as. Abuse? I think he took advantage of a kid that had no clue about sexuality or what was right/wrong. Nobody even knows what went on, and I'm sure that guy (neighbor down the street) is going about his life as normal. I'm sure its the same in a ton of cases. They never get reported. In fact, I think only 2 people in my life I've told prior to telling you guys.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-22-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
It's ok man and I thank you. I don't know what to categorize it as. Abuse? I think he took advantage of a kid that had no clue about sexuality or what was right/wrong. Nobody even knows what went on, and I'm sure that guy (neighbor down the street) is going about his life as normal. I'm sure its the same in a ton of cases. They never get reported. In fact, I think only 2 people in my life I've told prior to telling you guys.
Fair enough, I'm sorry for coming off that way. I just felt like you had clearly made your views on the subject known in the other thread and that it wasn't necessary for you to hijack the RIP thread to make the exact same points.

Edit: quoted the wrong post
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Fair enough, I'm sorry for coming off that way. I just felt like you had clearly made your views on the subject known in the other thread and that it wasn't necessary for you to hijack the RIP thread to make the exact same points.

Edit: quoted the wrong post
You are correct and i apologize for the outburst. It just irks me that the victims are overlooked in all this while we celebrate this man's life(or what I perceive as celebrating). I should have listened to my inner self saying "DONT DO IT" when seeing this thread.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #35
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You are correct and i apologize for the outburst. It just irks me that the victims are overlooked in all this while we celebrate this man's life(or what I perceive as celebrating). I should have listened to my inner self saying "DONT DO IT" when seeing this thread.
Where are the victims being overlooked though? The Paterno family has been outspoken about the fact that the victims in this crime need to come first and foremost. Joe Pa also admitted in a recent interview that he mishandled the situation.

IMO it's totally fine to acknowledge all the great things Paterno did in his life. Like or not, the guy had a far reaching positive impact on thousands of student athletes and their families. Yes he made a terrible, terrible mistake in the way he handled the Sandusky situation, which Paterno himself acknowledged. I don't think he should rot in hell, though. Sandusky should.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #36
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Where are the victims being overlooked though? The Paterno family has been outspoken about the fact that the victims in this crime need to come first and foremost. Joe Pa also admitted in a recent interview that he mishandled the situation.

IMO it's totally fine to acknowledge all the great things Paterno did in his life. Like or not, the guy had a far reaching positive impact on thousands of student athletes and their families. Yes he made a terrible, terrible mistake in the way he handled the Sandusky situation, which Paterno himself acknowledged. I don't think he should rot in hell, though. Sandusky should.
This. RIP Joe Pa, you made some mistakes that shall always haunt your legacy. Hopefully in the end, people remember the thousands of lives you positively affected, the millions you donated, and that this serves a lesson to all those in a posiition of power/authority that you hold the well being of others in the palm of your hands and that responsibility should never be taken lightly.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #37
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Haven't you noticed that no one is bashing the janitor who failed to report Sandusky?
Quote:
"Jim was a temporary employee at the Lasch Building, working there for approximately 8 months. No report was ever made by Jim Calhoun. Jim presently suffers from dementia, resides in a nursing home, and is incompetent to testify. Victim 8's identity is unknown."
One of the few things I was able to read in the grand jury report, mainly because it was on the last page and I figured I might as well peak at that part before closing the report.

Obviously it doesn't excuse him completely but it does indicate that there's more to the janitors story.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
mredskins
MVP

Quote:

To your point GM, excellent post BTW.

Rick Reilly - Paterno's True Legacy - ESPN
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #39
mredskins
MVP

To NC's point.

Daily Kos: F**k Joe Paterno (Final Important Update, please read <3)
Old 02-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

The main thing I get from this are that humans simply have an extremely difficult time in taking their hands off the scale of justice and letting the weights on the scale figure it out. They are, in short, unfit to put themselves into the judgment seat. And this is for both sides. Joe Paterno's legacy will be forever "gray", not black nor white.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #41
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Really sad as if he had told the police on Sandusky, he would have kept his reputation and respect intact. So bad he left on such a bitter note. And how his names on trophies are taken away. As what does go around, does come around. And bite you in the rear. Ouch!

Really feel bad for those boys and their families. Who's lives will never be the same.