Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

2012-13 Around the NBA thread

Other Sports

Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

2012-13 Around the NBA thread

Staring off with........Mike Brown's firing after 5 games.

Los Angeles Lakers have fired coach Mike Brown - ESPN Los Angeles

I will bet you anything that Phil Jackson comes back. He's suck a jackwagon. He won't coach unless the team is stacked. Also, I wouldn't want Kobe "backing" me on anything....lol
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 2012-13 Around the NBA thread

Brain Shaw is somewhere smiling...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

After 5 games? With the talent on that team, I don't think you can blame the coach...I think some high-paid players are just not giving complete effort early in the season. They're also transitioning to a new offense...even though players at that level should be able to play in any offense without much of a learning curve.

The team is a disaster. Kobe is getting old. Apparently Dwight Howard isn't the answer.

The Knicks have really loaded up. Sure a lot of veteran players like Kidd, Camby, Rasheed Wallace but they're a really deep team that looks like they can contend this year.

Trade of the year...the Rockets getting James Harden. He should be a starter and he's proving it. Good trade for both teams too. Kevin Martin is a good addition for OKC.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Staring off with........Mike Brown's firing after 5 games.

Los Angeles Lakers have fired coach Mike Brown - ESPN Los Angeles

I will bet you anything that Phil Jackson comes back. He's suck a jackwagon. He won't coach unless the team is stacked. Also, I wouldn't want Kobe "backing" me on anything....lol
Why do NBA teams have coaches? Really.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
itvnetop
Playmaker

Kobe can't succeed under any coach except Phil... he's the only one to harness Kobe's temperament. His death stare gets everyone fired.

Dwight's aloofness + Kobe's seriousness = disaster.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

So many Lakers haters it is hilarious haha. I love my team, but think it was definitely a knee jerk reaction. Nash has only played 1&1/2 games, Howard is still not 100% from his back surgery(originally projected to be back in December) and once again a very thin bench. people say Kobe's getting old but at 34 years old he's shooting 56% from the field while averaging 27 ppg, 5 boards, and 3 assists. His and the teams main issue this year has been turnovers and no cohesiveness on defense. I am not a fan of Jim Buss and how he's run things the last couple of years, but I'm hoping they can fix their mistake of hiring Brown in the first place and hire Brian Shaw who was being groomed by Jackson. I'd also like Jerry Sloan or Mike Dantoni if they don't go with bringing Phil back.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
So many Lakers haters it is hilarious haha. I love my team, but think it was definitely a knee jerk reaction. Nash has only played 1&1/2 games, Howard is still not 100% from his back surgery(originally projected to be back in December) and once again a very thin bench. people say Kobe's getting old but at 34 years old he's shooting 56% from the field while averaging 27 ppg, 5 boards, and 3 assists. His and the teams main issue this year has been turnovers and no cohesiveness on defense. I am not a fan of Jim Buss and how he's run things the last couple of years, but I'm hoping they can fix their mistake of hiring Brown in the first place and hire Brian Shaw who was being groomed by Jackson. I'd also like Jerry Sloan or Mike Dantoni if they don't go with bringing Phil back.
Man I wanted Washington to push hard for Jerry Sloan.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
itvnetop
Playmaker

D'antoni? Good luck trying to make the old guys a run n' gun squad.

my blather
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

'Stunned' Phil Jackson was prepared for return to Los Angeles Lakers, source says - ESPN Los Angeles

Quote:
"Phil would come back only to win and skipping games doesn't lead to winning," the source said.
Why the hell is Phil Jackson stunned? What did he expect telling the Lakers that he wanted to limit his road games? Really? A coach wanting to miss games?....LOL Talk about a huge ****ing ego here. I'd have to laugh at him and say have you lost your ****ing mind? No you aren't missing any games for 14 mil a year. Either you coach or you don't.

Don't expect this team to have any defense. Not D'Antoni's style.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
I don't hate the Lakers. I was a big Magic Johnson fan when I was a kid.

Now, Kobe the Rapist, that's another story.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Kindoy
The Starter

Finally i get to talk about my sport!

To everyone worried about the Lakers D: Nate McMillan is a phone call away... true defensive guru, expect him to be hired within the week. We don't have to be a defensive juggernaut, all McMillan has to do is remind the guys to play some D sometimes so we can outscore them.

To some the firing of Mike Brown was a knee jerk reaction, but it was obvious the move had to be made at one point or another. He was never the right hire to begin with and the players simply didn't respect him; he couldn't motivate them. He isn't a championship head coach. The Princeton neutralized Nash, with our personnel he needs to be the focal point - the QB.

Of course Mike O'Antoni's system is going to be tough to make work, but they can do it. Too many great basketball minds not to. Metta is the only guy I'm worried about in this system, but D'Antoni will make Morris, Meeks, Ebanks, Jamison & Hill worth double their salary.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
Kindoy
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Kobe can't succeed under any coach except Phil... he's the only one to harness Kobe's temperament. His death stare gets everyone fired.

Dwight's aloofness + Kobe's seriousness = disaster.
Come on man... Phil is basically the only coach Kobe's ever played for anyways. And the years he played for Rudy T & Frank Hamblen (Who? exactly.) 04-05, 05-06 he had a league scoring title. If you measure success by scoring, then that's success - if you measure success by winning, no player would have won with that team... you can't dispute that.

Also, Dwight has been quoted multiple times saying he want Kobe to bring the dog out in him. The main reason he asked for Phil was because he wanted to learn how to be a winner. His "aloofness" is not a problem, his "aloofness" helped him carry his Magic to an NBA finals.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindoy View Post
Come on man... Phil is basically the only coach Kobe's ever played for anyways. And the years he played for Rudy T & Frank Hamblen (Who? exactly.) 04-05, 05-06 he had a league scoring title. If you measure success by scoring, then that's success - if you measure success by winning, no player would have won with that team... you can't dispute that.

Also, Dwight has been quoted multiple times saying he want Kobe to bring the dog out in him. The main reason he asked for Phil was because he wanted to learn how to be a winner. His "aloofness" is not a problem, his "aloofness" helped him carry his Magic to an NBA finals.
Nobody measures success by scoring- if that were the case, Jerry Stackhouse and Glenn Robinson are Hall of Famers. You don't get to say, "no player would have won with that team" as the counterpoint. The data is states he can't win without Phil, so your theories hold no weight. Kobe's excited about the new coach because he now has a green light to fling it. And we see what happens when Kobe goes 1 on 5 (81 points against the mighty Raptors in the regular season, withstanding).

And I wouldn't take Dwight's quotes seriously... after what we've seen the past few years, would you? His "aloofness" was fine when his teammates weren't named Kobe Bryant.

I think Laker fans are in denial. D'antoni has no use for the post game and his short rotations are made for young legs. Let's be real- the Lakers are going to look exciting and they'll win a lot of regular season games... And then, the playoffs will tell another story. There's a reason why Lakerland is praying for Nate McMillan- you guys are doomed without a defensive assistant. ("But... but, we have Dwight. And MWP!" lol)

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 11-13-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
Kindoy
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Nobody measures success by scoring- if that were the case, Jerry Stackhouse and Glenn Robinson are Hall of Famers. You don't get to say, "no player would have won with that team" as the counterpoint. The data is states he can't win without Phil, so your theories hold no weight. Kobe's excited about the new coach because he now has a green light to fling it. And we see what happens when Kobe goes 1 on 5 (81 points against the mighty Raptors in the regular season, withstanding).

And I wouldn't take Dwight's quotes seriously... after what we've seen the past few years, would you? His "aloofness" was fine when his teammates weren't named Kobe Bryant.

I think Laker fans are in denial. D'antoni has no use for the post game and his short rotations are made for young legs. Let's be real- the Lakers are going to look exciting and they'll win a lot of regular season games... And then, the playoffs will tell another story. There's a reason why Lakerland is praying for Nate McMillan- you guys are doomed without a defensive assistant. ("But... but, we have Dwight. And MWP!" lol)
Oh a defensive assistant like Steve Clifford right? The guy thats already on our staff?

The "no player would have won with that team" point does hold weight - NBA analysts and columnists use it all the time, Stephen A. Smith to name someone. No team wins with Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins, Kwame Brown & Chris Mihm rotating into the starting line up. Because he didn't win a ring without Phil doesn't mean he CAN'T win without Phil. Made it to the second round last year, went 41-25. It isn't championship stuff, but i'd consider that winning, especially in a shortened season learning pieces of a new system all season long.

It's amazing how people are already writing the Lakers off in the playoffs. Apparently there is no chance that D'Antoni will alter his system even the slightest to fit the Lakers roster. The guy is stubborn, not stupid. He, Kobe & Nash will find a way to make it work. The post game doesn't need to be prominent, this offense will be worked around the pick & roll with Gasol and pick & pop with Dwight. The first unit won't be running and gunning like his past teams have, the second unit will be with Meeks, Morris, Ebanks, Jamison, Hill.

And whats wrong with Kobe being excited about flinging it? If theres anyone that should have the green light to shoot it 24/7 its Kobe. I don't see how an offense with that idea built in is a problem. The only way Kobe shooting it all the time is a problem is if it impedes the running of the offense, but now that IS the offense. Either let Kobe shoot it early in the shot clock or run the pick & roll/pop if he doesn't.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindoy View Post
Oh a defensive assistant like Steve Clifford right? The guy thats already on our staff?

The "no player would have won with that team" point does hold weight - NBA analysts and columnists use it all the time, Stephen A. Smith to name someone. No team wins with Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins, Kwame Brown & Chris Mihm rotating into the starting line up. Because he didn't win a ring without Phil doesn't mean he CAN'T win without Phil. Made it to the second round last year, went 41-25. It isn't championship stuff, but i'd consider that winning, especially in a shortened season learning pieces of a new system all season long.
LeBron James made it to the NBA Finals with the exciting cast of Larry Hughes, Boobie Gibson and Sasha Pavlovic. And friggin' Mike Brown, as their coach... Mike Brown! That run was herculean- and they got past Detroit that year.

OK, nobody's winning with Smush Parker or Kwame Brown, either- but the difference is LeBron makes his teammates better. But if you're going to quote Stephen A. Smith, at least quote him saying yesterday that the D'antoni hiring doesn't fit this Laker personnel. Kobe scores a lot, often inefficiently. Kobe could make his teammates better by passing the ball when defenses start doubling or triple teaming him in the fourth... but he often doesn't. Um, has Steve Clifford made anyone better defensively so far?

Well, if you want Kobe shooting the ball non-stop (with all that talent standing around watching him), you're going to see what happens in the playoffs. Nash will eventually start getting cranky if he brings the ball up court and Kobe shoots it in 7 seconds. And that bench isn't scaring anyone. The Lakers are the least athletic team in the league, but they'll be good for a fun regular season and maybe two playoff rounds. Mike Brown should have allowed for some pick and roll earlier on, obviously. But no (D)'antoni can't just rely on the p'n'r all year... athletic wings are going to close out fairly quickly, especially during the playoffs. And without any type of post up game, Pau and Howard's skills are highly underutilized.

my blather