Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Where does D. Hall rate as a CB for the Redskins all time?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: Where does D. Hall rate as a CB for the Redskins all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
Green , Pat Fisher , Springs , Bailey . L. Parrish , Joe Lavender and Garo Yaprimian's favorite .... Mike Bass .
Very good list. I would definitely slip Hall in Springs place though.

Green
Bailey
L.Parrish
J.Lavender
D.Hall

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Very good list. I would definitely slip Hall in Springs place though.

Green
Bailey
L.Parrish
J.Lavender
D.Hall
I just wish we had 2/ 3 of them in there primes for the next 10 years !
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The funny thing is Hall is more beloved than Riggins and Theismann on this board, guys that won SB's.
Well, I get that one, it's because Hall is a current player in the internet age, and Riggins and Theismann haven't played for the Redskins in 25 years.

I don't get why Hall is more beloved than London Fletcher though. That one confuses me. I'd guess the local connection, but still, it boggles the mind beyond that.

Is there a Fletcher detractor section of fan base? Like, guys who just wish the team would move on from aging no. 59? Fletcher and Moss are universally beloved players. I think the general consensus is that DHall belongs amongst this category. And that the natural reaction to someone saying "wait a second, Fletcher and Moss have had way better Redskins careers than Hall," is to simply pout and cry foul.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, I get that one, it's because Hall is a current player in the internet age, and Riggins and Theismann haven't played for the Redskins in 25 years.

I don't get why Hall is more beloved than London Fletcher though. That one confuses me. I'd guess the local connection, but still, it boggles the mind beyond that.

Is there a Fletcher detractor section of fan base? Like, guys who just wish the team would move on from aging no. 59? Fletcher and Moss are universally beloved players. I think the general consensus is that DHall belongs amongst this category. And that the natural reaction to someone saying "wait a second, Fletcher and Moss have had way better Redskins careers than Hall," is to simply pout and cry foul.
Because I would put D. Halls career with the Redskins right up there with Moss, and Fletcher.

You really cant compare the 3 though since it's all different positions though

Last edited by Bucket; 08-27-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I like Hall, and I like the picks and fumbles he brings to the table, but he doesn't rank amongst the best in all of Redskins history. I wish we had a really old time presence at this table, someone who could tell us what Dan Sandifer brought to the table because any guy that had 13 picks in a season had to be good, and he also is in a first place tie for picks in a game with 4 as well.

In order to be ranked amongst the best, you need to qualify in several areas. Longevity, health issues, and most importantly, play on the field. I'm forgetting some here, but I think those are the main ones. D.Hall has local ties being from VT obviously, so I'm sure that counts in his favor, but he hasn't been here that long in the grand scheme of things, and he's very inconsistent with his play on the field.

Like I said, I love the fact that he consistently produces turnovers for us, although not as much as say an Ed Reed, Polamalu, or Asante Samuel brings to the table. But he still consistently gives up big plays, as much, if not more, than the turnovers he produces. That's why he doesn't make my list, because his impact on the team is neutralized when you factor in the plays he makes versus the plays he gives up. I don't have a hate boner for the guy like Gtripp does, but let's be serious. I think it worked with him and Rogers because Rogers was a steady presence at the other corner spot. He didn't give up a lot of big plays but he didn't make a lot of big plays either. Now with uncertainty at the other corner spot his mistakes are being magnified. And yes we overpaid for him, he's not worth big money. I think we'll go out and probably seek another upgrade at corner next season.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Because would put D. Halls career with the Redskins right up there with Moss, and Fletcher.

You really cant compare the 3 though since it's all different positions though
But Fletcher and Moss have been much more successful Redskins. And they've been here longer.

I realize your thread is not asking to compare Hall to players of other positions. To answer your question, Hall is very much the most accomplished Redskins CB who is still on the roster. Is he more accomplished than Carlos Rogers who started for most 5 seasons or Shawn Springs who also started for most of 5 seasons? Not for at least two more seasons he's not.

Is he more accomplished as a Redskin than Justin Tryon, Kevin Barnes, Leigh Torrence, or Byron Westbrook. Well, yeah. Hall is more of a Redskin (in the historical sense) than those players will ever be. But who was asking?

Would you take Hall over Fred Smoot? I'm really not a big Fred Smoot guy, at all. But how many seasons did Smoot start for us as our leading interceptor? It was more than Hall. So at what point do we say even Fred Smoot has had a more accomplished Redskins career than Hall, even though Hall has had a better career to date than Smoot.

All of this is why I feel this thread is a bit silly. Comparing Hall to historical Redskins greats completely bypasses the fact that he wouldn't start on the All-Snyder Redskins team because of the time logged at starting corner by Bailey, Smoot, Rogers, and Springs over the last 12 years. Each one of those players were 5 season starters for us. Hall's fifth season here is 2012, assuming he's even on the roster then. Asking me to grade Hall on seasons that haven't happened yet is not something I'm comfortable doing.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #22
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Oh hey, this just rolled across Twitter. I haven't read it yet, but its Matt Bowen, so you know its good.

Breaking down Hall's 'pick-six' vs. Baltimore | National Football Post
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
GusFrerotte

1# All time no brainer Green
#2 Champ Bailey no brainer again
#3 recent memory Fred Smoot(first stint with us)
#4 recent memory D Hall
#5 recent memory Chris Dishman

When Smoot first came on the scene with Champ we had the best dynamic duo of CBs in the NFL. Hall is the big play guy, and I did think Dishman was a pretty consistent CB when he was teamed up with Darrell. In fact I would have thought about putting Dishman over Hall if it weren't for Hall's pick 6 threat. I think the Skins have had solid CBs tandems for a long time, just we have had bad luck with safeties minus Sean Talyor of course. Hopefully Landry can reverse this.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

If anyone's wondering, I have Fred Davis at no. 12 on my list of all-time best Redskins TEs. He could reasonably jump Stephen Alexander with a good year.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #25
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Big hall guy but idk about all time great skin just yet
Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Where does the community have Rod Gardner amongst all-time Redskins WRs? I say 11th. How about you?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Where does the community have Rod Gardner amongst all-time Redskins WRs? I say 11th. How about you?
I think the more important question is where does Anthony Mix rank?! LOL.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #28
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think the more important question is where does Anthony Mix rank?! LOL.
That's easy. 54th, right between Reche Caldwell and Joey Galloway.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
I like D Hall, very good player, I except that every once and awhile you will be beaten. Please don't ask GTripp0012 how he feels D Hall must of bullied him in School or something. LOL
Preach
Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

U gotta admitt Tripp that Hall has played some of his best ball here in DC. Is Hall in the top 5 CB all time in DC? I think he has to do a little more to be considered. But he contributed a couple unforgettable moments as a skin...The dallas strip, the J Cutler game and probowl MVP are significant moments. Kinda wish people would celebrate it and not try to bring the guy down.

He Gets Us
Closed Thread