Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Mental Health Awareness Thread

Parking Lot

Old 01-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #1
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

My daughter is 15 years old. Good kid. Excellent student. Ever since she was a little girl she had sensitivity (certain clothes bothered her, feeling like she had to pee all the time, alot bothered her). If she fell and skinned her knee, it was the absolute end of the world. I know kids cry when they get hurt, but its boo hoo, bandaid , back at it. Not her, it was over the top screaming and flipping out. So fast forward to about the third grade. She is complaining that her chest hurts. We bring her to the cardiologist, and every other doctor imaginable and she checks out. After a while, I start to notice that she seems to be having panic attacks. I know, because I suffered through them for years. If you have ever had one, you know the look and how someone behaves when it is happening to them. It’s brutal. Especially for a 7 year old girl. Anyway for a few years after that she would get them every once in a blue moon. I would talk her down. About two years ago she is getting real bad, having them more frequently and than she comes to me and her mother one night and through the tears tells us she has started vomiting after she eats - we were floored. Now she had developed an eating disorder. We immediately get her therapy, of course this unfolds during the pandemic as she is going through puberty. I can’t even imagine. The therapist was great, and the eating disorder was nipped in the bud. But she was diagnosed with depression and anxiety- severe anxiety. About a year ago we took her to a psychiatrist who prescribed some meds. My daughter took one, had a panic attack just from taking it - and stopped. So we went back to the psychiatrist about a week ago when her anxiety literally turned to a 24-7 thing and was affecting her school work. Prescribed a different med, very low dose, and she talked and really got through to my daughter in a positive way. I thank God for her, and all the other professionals in the field that have helped my daughter through this. So today was day one, she took it and i dropped her at school. About a half hour later she is texting me to pick her up, feels sick, totally about to freak. I talked her down, told her she could do this and it will get easier every day. She stayed all day, went to cross country practice and came home with a smile. I think i exhaled for the first time in a year. We got a long road to go but im feeling good about things. I’ve been absolutely tore up inside for sometime. I couldn’t even handle the WP back n forth and quit. Lol.
Anyway Im starting this thread because I know i cant be alone. People on here maybe battling their own mental health issues or have a family member or a friend. We all must. You know when someone has a limp you can pinpoint the hip or leg. Someone has a problem with their site - eyes or brain,… but when someone, especially someone so young is mentally ill it is almost impossible to see. Even when you realize it well where do you begin???
Just thought it might be a good idea to have a thread , share stories, or remedies, or just be able to talk to others going through stuff.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Mental Health Awareness Thread

Punch sounds like you're doing everything possible for her. All I can say is keep it up and be there unconditionally for her, time will be your friend and hers.
This is a little different then your situation but I hope it helps. My oldest grandson was born in 2000 , his Dad was an addict, before he was six months the Dad was gone and My daughter and grandson were living with us and did for 8 years. He develop ADHD and ADD we were trying all sorts of medication for him ,some made him develop ticks others turned him into a zombie . It took forever to find the right medication so he could go into a social situation like school . It was hard ,I replaced doors and fixed what might have been 100 holes in the walls just from his anger. Moving on my daughter found a great guy who is in the Military and like I said time has help ,he has learned to deal with his situation .He has gotten his Associates degree and working on his BA in Graphic Design he has turned into a great kid and adult. All I can say in time some things she could grow out of others she might learn to live with. Hope all things work out for you and her. Thoughts and prayers your way!

Last edited by Giantone; 01-26-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:13 PM   #3
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Great success story. Glad for him and your entire family. . Did you mean 2020 though?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:28 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Punch,

My deepest heartfelt prayers and thoughts for the road you and your daughter are on, and an amen for you sharing it here. I wish you all the strength you will need each day.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:22 AM   #5
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Thanks C-Red. We got this.

I think sharing is a big step. Nothing to be ashamed of as you know. Thought it would help if others are struggling or know someone who is. Sort of a WP therapy room. Lol. Thanks again for the kind words and well wishes. Much appreciated.

Last edited by punch it in; 01-26-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #6
mredskins
MVP

I hope your daughter continues down a good path, sounds like she has a great set of parents.

Funny i hear stories like this then go to youth sports and every dad is belly aching about their boy not being this or that. I am just like be happy you have a health kid and just enjoy these years with them.

For a Jersey guy you are ok Punch.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I know it’s tough, but y’all are doing the right thing. Celebrate small victories and build off them. All about support. Keep head up, it will work out

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Great success story. Glad for him and your entire family. . Did you mean 2020 though?
No, 2000 . Thanks. Again all the best !
Old 01-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
No, 2000 . Thanks. Again all the best !

Man I must have read it like 10 times. Like wait was the bad dad the one who turned it around? Lol. Ok makes sense now. Thanks G -1.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #10
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I hope your daughter continues down a good path, sounds like she has a great set of parents.

Funny i hear stories like this then go to youth sports and every dad is belly aching about their boy not being this or that. I am just like be happy you have a health kid and just enjoy these years with them.

For a Jersey guy you are ok Punch.

For real M. It is amazing what happens to your priorities for your children, yourself, or a friend or family member when all they want is to feel normal.

Thanks Chico you hit the nail on the head. Small steps. One day at a time. Even one hour at a time. Anyway day two on the meds and my daughter seems to be doing better already. I know it takes time for it to build up but she is mentally stronger just because she is taking them. My hope is between therapy and the meds she is one day able to cope on her own.

Thats my situation. Dont wanna dwell anymore on it. Ill keep you all posted and thanks again. Maybe others have some experiences to share.

Last edited by punch it in; 01-26-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
calia
Playmaker

Punch

You’re a great dad. Full stop. You’re right that most everyone has been touched by this sort of thing (and the pandemic has only exacerbated mental health issues) but most don’t go through what you’re experiencing. Hang in there and I do hope your daughter is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

MH is something that will impact everyone at some point, directly or indirectly. I had some issues not too long ago that I ended up seeking out therapy for. It helps. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to. It's not something we should feel ashamed about. Punch, sounds like you've got things headed in the right direction.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:19 AM   #13
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
MH is something that will impact everyone at some point, directly or indirectly. I had some issues not too long ago that I ended up seeking out therapy for. It helps. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to. It's not something we should feel ashamed about. Punch, sounds like you've got things headed in the right direction.

Matty man glad you talked to someone about it. Hope you are feeling better about things. Talking about stuff is such an important stepping stone. Holding shit in and pretending nothing is wrong can and will eat you alive.

Yeah one of the main reasons I started this thread was because of exactly what u said. Nobody is ashamed when they get cancer, or any other physical ailment. It is a shame that there is that ashamed stigma attached to mental health.

Oh and thanks Calia, unfortunately there are many going through much worse than my daughter.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #14
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Living ain't easy. Keep fighting the good fight. There really is no one "normal". We all have something going on. Sometimes it's just less stuff or more stuff. Definitely a positive thing that talking about how you're doing is becoming more and more socially acceptable. Still a long ways to go, but you gotta start somewhere.

Punch, hope she keeps improving. Definitely not an easy age to be going through that stuff. Here's to her and your family having continued patience and perseverance.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #15
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote