Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

In memory of our REDSKINS

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

In memory of our REDSKINS

Person with knowledge of the situation confirms Washington football owner Dan Snyder and the team plan to announce name change Monday morning.

Mike Jones - USA TODAY

So the end is official and coming within the hours, I want this thread to be positive.

Name your favorite Redskins of all time
Favorite moments / games / eras.

I also want to say thank you Matty and everyone here for keeping me sane through the years, in a sense I grew up a lot with the Warpath.. I'm not sure if the site name will change but if it does I SALUTE this page!!

And for one final time (can't believe I'm writing this)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Advertisements
Old 07-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: In memory of our REDSKINS

My life long best friend just called me, we talked about this very thing.

It really is the end of an Era. Just no words really.

I agree, one last time - HTTR.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
My life long best friend just called me, we talked about this very thing.

It really is the end of an Era. Just no words really.

I agree, one last time - HTTR.
It really feels like losing a family member, I Know that is dramatic but I actually feel lost a bit.. Going to be tough to swallow for a while.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

My favorite Redskins were Mark Brunell, Stephen Davis, Champ Bailey, Marcus Washington, Randy Thomas, Mike Sellars...just too many to name. I also really liked Jeff George and remember how we had that "dream team" at one point in time and i remember my Dad telling me that with Jeff George's arm, we would see the great passing game again like in the 80's, but it was never to be.

My all time favorite Redskins moment as a fan was watching the Monday Night Miracle in 2005 when we came back to beat the Cowboys. That whole 2005 season was magic, i remember the "Five in a Row or We don't go", and when we started wearing the white on white uniforms because the guys believed it was good luck....
Old 07-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

RG3 beating the Cowboys in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Will always be my favorite Thanksgiving ever. And I love Thanksgiving.

Brunell to Moss × 2

The 5 game winning streak under Gibbs 2.0 to make the playoffs.

Note - I was only 8 during our last super bowl. If I was old enough to remember it, that whole season would be my favorite. Sheer domination.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Whatever happens happens.

It's been 20 years of mostly misery for me, but HTTR will always be my rally cry.

Greatest Redskin game I ever saw - 2005, got our asses kicked for 55 minutes by the Cowboys until Brunell finally trusted Moss. And Sean Taylor closed it out with a phenomenal hit on Patrick Crayton IIRC?

Greatest Redskin game I ever saw in person - Kirk Cousins "You Like That" game. When it was 24-0 me and my friends all agreed if they grew the lead any more we leave. You all know what happened from there. S/N I still love those throwbacks and hope they don't disappear with the name change, but with the logo being what it is I highly doubt they ever return.

Greatest Redskin to wear the gear in my lifetime? Sure, Chris Samuels and Trent Williams are up there, but for me it was Sean Taylor. 04, 05, and the first half of 2007 (the closest we've come to having a first team All-Pro in my span as a fan IMO) convinced me that he was putting his name in the conversation with the Reeds and Polamalu's of the time. He had the range of Reed and the instincts/power of Polamalu. I'm not sure we'll ever see another free safety play like that in a Redskins/whatever uniform again.

And thanks to Matty for running this page, been a part of many forums over the years and this place has been a steady constant under your hand compared to everywhere else. In 2005 I was a sophomore in high school, now I'm past 30. Here's to another 15 years of talking football and bullshit with other knowledgeable fans.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
RG3 beating the Cowboys in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Will always be my favorite Thanksgiving ever. And I love Thanksgiving.

Brunell to Moss × 2

The 5 game winning streak under Gibbs 2.0 to make the playoffs.

Note - I was only 8 during our last super bowl. If I was old enough to remember it, that whole season would be my favorite. Sheer domination.
Love all of these
Old 07-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
My favorite Redskins were Mark Brunell, Stephen Davis, Champ Bailey, Marcus Washington, Randy Thomas, Mike Sellars...just too many to name. I also really liked Jeff George and remember how we had that "dream team" at one point in time and i remember my Dad telling me that with Jeff George's arm, we would see the great passing game again like in the 80's, but it was never to be.

My all time favorite Redskins moment as a fan was watching the Monday Night Miracle in 2005 when we came back to beat the Cowboys. That whole 2005 season was magic, i remember the "Five in a Row or We don't go", and when we started wearing the white on white uniforms because the guys believed it was good luck....
Gibbs 2.0 and RG3 eras were my favorite , I was like 6 years old in 92 so I don't remember that much.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Whatever happens happens.

It's been 20 years of mostly misery for me, but HTTR will always be my rally cry.

Greatest Redskin game I ever saw - 2005, got our asses kicked for 55 minutes by the Cowboys until Brunell finally trusted Moss. And Sean Taylor closed it out with a phenomenal hit on Patrick Crayton IIRC?

Greatest Redskin game I ever saw in person - Kirk Cousins "You Like That" game. When it was 24-0 me and my friends all agreed if they grew the lead any more we leave. You all know what happened from there. S/N I still love those throwbacks and hope they don't disappear with the name change, but with the logo being what it is I highly doubt they ever return.

Greatest Redskin to wear the gear in my lifetime? Sure, Chris Samuels and Trent Williams are up there, but for me it was Sean Taylor. 04, 05, and the first half of 2007 (the closest we've come to having a first team All-Pro in my span as a fan IMO) convinced me that he was putting his name in the conversation with the Reeds and Polamalu's of the time. He had the range of Reed and the instincts/power of Polamalu. I'm not sure we'll ever see another free safety play like that in a Redskins/whatever uniform again.

And thanks to Matty for running this page, been a part of many forums over the years and this place has been a steady constant under your hand compared to everywhere else. In 2005 I was a sophomore in high school, now I'm past 30. Here's to another 15 years of talking football and bullshit with other knowledgeable fans.
Great post man!!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The Redskins' new nickname "will not be announced immediately because trademark issues are pending," per the
@sbjsbd
. https://sbjsbd.biz/3iUMT0I
Old 07-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #11
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The Redskins' new nickname "will not be announced immediately because trademark issues are pending," per the
@sbjsbd
. https://sbjsbd.biz/3iUMT0I
Makes sense. This transition is going at warp speed. Still sucks though. Grrr.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

According to a source, the #Redskins narrowed their list of potential names down but “haven’t made a decision yet” and that decision will be “soon but not today.”
@wusa9

@WUSA9sports
Old 07-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #13
The_Hangman_C_Hanburger
Camp Scrub

Don't think I can root for the Washington Team any longer. I live in Florida so I will look at watching a local team and not have to pay through the nose for Direct TV to watch a team I won't "know" anymore.

Very sad. Only reason I kept watching from out of state was the History and memories of 50 years of fandom.

Prolly ditch the NFL altogether for fishing.

So on a positive note as the OP wanted, I got time now for my *other* passions without the BS
The_Hangman_C_Hanburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #14
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I’ve been a fan since 1971 and this a huge deal to me and old fans. All I got to say is FUCK DAN SNYDER!! Traitor, JKC would bitch slap this POS all over the field. This never would of happen w/ JKC. Fuck politics and sports, hypocrite sponsors, and the NFL.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 PM   #15
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Some smatterings of how this is hitting me tonight:

-- I turn 51 in late August. My Dad gave me two choices growing up in Louisville Kentucky. Root for and watch the Washington Redskins, or don't watch football. When you're 6 years old, it's an easy choice. (And looking back -- maybe this should have been considered child abuse ... haha .. but hey ... it's one of the few things my Dad and I can truly connect over. He just turned 80.)

-- I remember being in 1st grade in 1975, and checking out a paperback book from the library only because it had a photo of Billy Kilmer in a Redskins uniform on the cover (along with some other players I couldn't have cared less about). The book wasn't for first graders, but I didn't care. I checked it out anyway.

-- I vaguely remember the QB battles between Kilmer and Theismann. I also wondered why our guys only got to wear one bar face masks, while other QB's wore 2 bar face masks. Like that douchebag Staubach. These are great matters of concern for a 7 and 8 year old.

-- Being in Louisville meant it was a rare treat to get a Redskins game on TV. Usually we got the Bengals, or Bears, or because Paul Hornung was a Louisvillian, we got Green Bay Packers games ... completley annoying. But there's a large contingent of Packers fans here. And of course, the freakin' Cowboys were always on. Man I hate them.

-- On Sundays, I would run to grab the newspaper, to get the TV listings, to see what games were being shown. When I saw the Redskins listed, it sent a jolt of happiness through me I can't describe. I'd watch half an hour of Victory at Sea, followed by NFL on CBS, before the 1:00 Skins game .... and seeing the burgundy and gold, and those iconic helmets with the Redskin on it .... man, pure rapture.

-- I remember losing to Dallas by a point, and crying, and my Mom telling me to grow up, it's just a game, and me telling her she just didn't understand, and I was 10.

-- My love of the Redskins is only surpassed by my hatred of the Cowboys.

-- Life got MUCH better in the 80's. We got on TV more, and we won a lot more.

-- Jack Kent Cooke was godlike to me. And he delivered Super Bowls. God bless that man.

We all know our recent history, and the proliferation of TV showing all the games, made my experience of joy when I got to watch the Redskins disappear. But my love of the colors, the uni's, and especially the helmet, can all be traced to those early days, when I wasn't guaranteed to see them in any given week.

I've been a fan for 45 years.

I'll have to live to age 96, to root for whatever our new name will be, to EQUAL how much I have invested emotionally in the Redskins.

So, no matter what comes, I can realistically say, I'll still be more of a Skins fan when I pass than a whatever-freakin-name-we-get-stuck-with this season.

I want to be able to root for this team ... and see Chase Young, and Montez Sweat, terrorize Philly and Dallas and Daniel flippin Jones.

I just don't know that I will care as much as I did when I was 6 years old, running to check the TV listings in the Sunday paper, in the faint hope that I got to see my Washington Redskins play on TV.

Hail to the Redskins.

Thank you for the memories. I will miss you.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote