Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #31
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: 2012 QB Prospects (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Is there an example of someone who stayed in school and lost a ton of money? I mean, even in the cases of Matt Leinart and Jake Locker, the teams who supposedly would have taken them "first overall" didn't bite on them just a year later.
Don't forget Sam Bradford.

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #32
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Is there an example of someone who stayed in school and lost a ton of money? I mean, even in the cases of Matt Leinart and Jake Locker, the teams who supposedly would have taken them "first overall" didn't bite on them just a year later.
Any player could suffer a catastrophic injury that would prevent him from ever playing football again.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Any player could suffer a catastrophic injury that would prevent him from ever playing football again.
Well, sure, but now you're dealing in hypotheticals that aren't of common concern. But, you know, that's one of the things that factored into Jimmy Clausen's decision.

The decision to stay in school is typically made as a real-world decision with concrete reasoning beyond the fear of the highly improbable. There's pros and cons to the decision, which we often simplify to guaranteed $ = good. But the dollars are pretty much as guaranteed a year from now as they are right now.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Don't forget Sam Bradford.
Which is the most obvious example that it's not a bad decision. Bradford had the worst possible season he could have had when he came back to Oklahoma. But he went first overall anyway.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #35
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'd love Matt Flynn and a Rookie QB as well
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #36
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'd love Matt Flynn and a Rookie QB as well
Depending on the next few weeks I'm going to figure out weather or not I want Matt Leinart.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #37
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Not buying the Nick Foles love... I find him dreadful.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #38
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Depending on the next few weeks I'm going to figure out weather or not I want Matt Leinart.

I can answer that for you..........
Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #39
GusFrerotte

YEah Foles and now Tannehill have gone off my QB wishlist. Tannehill started the season somewhat promising, but tonight, geesh, he is having a horrendous game. I do hope we get RG III though. After that Kansas St game I wondered about him, but that OSU game he was white hot. I still think Landry would be a nice pickup.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #40
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
YEah Foles and now Tannehill have gone off my QB wishlist. Tannehill started the season somewhat promising, but tonight, geesh, he is having a horrendous game. I do hope we get RG III though. After that Kansas St game I wondered about him, but that OSU game he was white hot. I still think Landry would be a nice pickup.

Feel like putting Tannehill back on?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #41
GTripp0012
Living Legend

SmootSmack, if I were to say that I believe that the best fit for the Kyle Shanahan scheme (putting aside for a second my personal thoughts about its viability going forward) at quarterback from this class is Kirk Cousins, how would you react to that assessment?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #42
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Senior QB Rankings (Pre-Bowl):

1) Nick Foles - Top 10
2) Kellen Moore - 1st round
3) Kirk Cousins - 1st-2nd
4) Ryan Tannehill - 1st-2nd
5) Dominique Davis - 2nd-3rd
6) Jacory Harris - 3rd-4th
7) GJ Kinne - 3rd-4th
8) Dan Persa - 5th-6th
9) Ryan Lindley - 5th-6th
10) Chandler Harnish - 5th-6th
11) John Brantley - 7th-Undrafted
12) B.J. Coleman - 7th-Undrafted

Foles is really good, and I'm really not sure why more people don't expect more out of him. He's not in Andrew Luck's class, and by extension he's not Barkley or Griffin, but he's at least on par with Joe Flacco coming out of college. I think he's got more ability than Flacco did. Top 10 might be a stretch, I think underclassmen will push him down.

Kellen Moore is a sensational player who should get a stock boost from the recent success of guys like Andy Dalton and Colt McCoy. Unlike McCoy and Dalton, he's totally and utterly immobile, like Foles, but the thing that makes me think Moore will overcome his height while Kinne, Persa, and Russell Wilson won't be able to overcome theirs is that Kellen Moore makes it look easy. If there's a criticism of Foles, is that he makes passing look tough, even when he's well in control of the situation. Moore is the opposite: throw whatever you want at him. He'll beat it.

Cousins impressed me this season specifically because he learned how to attack defensive gameplans. Cousins can break down a defense over the course of a game, which I think is an underrated skill for an NFL quarterback. He's an extreme timing and rhythm "within the system" passer though, which makes sense for a Kyle Shanahan quarterback. Throws a better ball than Rex Grossman.

Tannehill is exactly what you want in a prospect physically, as was Blaine Gabbert before him. He uses the pre-snap read reasonably well, but I don't like how he uses the pocket and I don't like his ball placement ability for run after catch purposes (where Foles I think does the best job of that, along with Moore and Cousins). I don't have any concerns about his arm strength at the next level, where Moore and Cousins will be limited at times. Tannehill, like Cousins, can tuck and run to move the chains. I don't think he throws a better ball than Rex Grossman -- with the exception of the deep out -- but he does "see the throw" considerably better than Grossman, particularly outside the hashes. He seems to be a reasonable decision maker, but the throws he actually takes are typically wide open, and if they aren't, he doesn't use the progression well. He reminds me of Matthew Stafford in a lot of ways. And with Stafford, you just have to take away his top target and then let his lack of accuracy decide the game. I'd do the same thing if defending Tannehill.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #43
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Kellen Moore reminds me so much of Kurt Warner. I feel like I'm watching the same guy. Height will always be an issue with him, no different than the fact that windup/release will always be an issue with Tebow. Some teams will never be able to get over that.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Tannehill on ESPN and WatchESPN tonight
I watched bits a pieces of his for the 3rd time this season. Now, exactly why is he considered a good prospect? Zero impressed with this guy every time i watch, sure is athletic and mobile. He not close to Jones, RG3, Barkley, Luck, or even Foles or Weeden. IMO when looking to compare him, he is more in the class of Moore when you start talking about "hey should the skins get a second QB prospect in the 3-4 round", Tannehill fits there, which is great, but Id be very disappointed if we didnt get one of the top 4 and settled for more of a project type.

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #45
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I don't know why the Skins would even consider drafting Tannehill or Cousins. The Skins should be able get a much better QB in the first round and we have too many other needs to fill in the draft to take two QB's unless we draft the second QB late.

I also don't how either of those players could be considered by any team in the first or second rounds. Neither of them is good enough to start in the NFL, IMO.

As for Kellen Moore going in the first round, I just don't see it happening because of his physical stature. When he measures at 5'11" and 180 lbs. at the Combine, he'll slip. Nevertheless, neither Tannehill nor Cousins is worthy to carry Moore's helmet for him. Moore has been a great college QB and I wouldn't bet against him as a pro. I'd guess that he'll go in the third round where he might turn out to be a steal for some team.

I'm still hoping that Barkley, Jones, and RGIII will all come out because I think that would ensure that the Skins get a good prospect.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 11-25-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Closed Thread