Great Win, Just 1 Question Though

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #31
Kope
Special Teams

Re: Great Win, Just 1 Question Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep
Sellars running over Dawkins was classic. I want to get some video of that!
Ditto
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #32
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
Agreed. But prepare for the backlash, Irish. There is hell to pay for anyone who dares to criticize the almighty Clinton Portis. But I don't care. He's been a "good" running back for us, but that's it. Against NFC East opponents, his average after last night is 3.4 yards a carry. So I think it's perfectly fair to see that he's not exactly been what everyone hoped for, especially in the divisional games that matter most.

And spare me this CRAP about "spreading the running lanes" or calling more toss-sweeps to "open things up" for Portis. The Skins did what they never do last night and actually pitched the ball to Portis when they were getting manhandled by the Corey Simon-less Eagles up the middle. It still didn't matter. Philadelphia stuffed the run last night. There's two realities that many Redskin fans simply do not want to believe: This offensive line is not good enough against above average defensive lines to run the ball and control the game, AND Clinton Portis is not as good as was advertised.

We won the game last night because of a heads up play by Derrick Dockery, and I officially take back everything I said about him being the weak link on this line. His recovery of Chris Cooley's fumble turned out to be the pivotal play in a game that was very close to going either way. For once, the ball bounced our way this season.
and this post isn't reactionary at all considering you're totally willing to change your views on dockery cause of one single play
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #33
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep
Lost in all this is the way the skins were able to move the ball on the iggles-- by the INTERMEDIATE pass. They keyed on the run and the deep ball, and we went over the middle and to the medium dumpoff. I love watching us use the whole playbook. And we did stick to the run.
That's an excellent point. Last night's game was the first time I can ever remember that Joe Gibbs utilized intermediate range passing as much as he did. Cooley, in particular ate Philly's defense alive. With Gibbs' offense, it seems that the passes are either deep to Moss, or wideout screens -- rarely, until yesterday's game, do you see passes in the 5 to 15 yard range over the middle to the TE's and H-backs. The game films must have showed a weak spot in Philly's defense, and Gibbs certainly exposed it.

Now if they can just figure out a way to get David Patten more involved. You'd think that teams are eventually going to start keying in on Moss and Cooley, which at some point will give Patten an opportunity to have a monster game. Don't know what the problem is there.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #34
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
and this post isn't reactionary at all considering you're totally willing to change your views on dockery cause of one single play
I never claimed that I wasn't being reactionary. I watch the game, and I react to it.

So sue me.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #35
skindogger47
Special Teams

FINALLY, we ran a toss to Portis. Result? 8 yard gain. It's no coincidence, the guy is an awesome runner outside the tackles. What bugs me is that we run Betts outside all the time and Portis inside, when I think everyone can agree that it should be the other way around.
skindogger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Now if they can just figure out a way to get David Patten more involved. You'd think that teams are eventually going to start keying in on Moss and Cooley, which at some point will give Patten an opportunity to have a monster game. Don't know what the problem is there.
Every week I keep thinking this is the week that Moss will be double teamed, but it seems he never is. Is it that a.) he's still not respected, b.) he's just blowing by the double coverage, or c.) Patten and the other receivers are doing just enough to keep double coverage away from Moss

Maybe the key to Patten is to get him the ball early, maybe start the Tampa game with some passes to him.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #37
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindogger47
FINALLY, we ran a toss to Portis. Result? 8 yard gain. It's no coincidence, the guy is an awesome runner outside the tackles. What bugs me is that we run Betts outside all the time and Portis inside, when I think everyone can agree that it should be the other way around.
By my count, there were three pitch-outs to Portis. The other two got no gains.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #38
offiss

Quote:
I never claimed that I wasn't being reactionary. I watch the game, and I react to it.

So sue me.

Your dead on Beams, we are finding out that big names, and big contracts, don't always translate into big play, it was nice to see that kind of hustle out of Dockery but he still has a lot of proving before I come around at this point.

As for Portis he is the back that was advertised, unfortuantly we decieded to change the scenery and try to make him a smash mouth runner, HE'S NOT! He needs to be used in a trapping and draw type offense, his TD run last night looked like a very quick draw, the defensive lines are penetrating the line of scrimmage regardless, we might as well take advantage of that with a quick draw type running game, let the defenses take themselves out of the play, that could help Portis and our O-line to rapid improvement.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #39
onsidekick
Camp Scrub

Quote:
By my count, there were three pitch-outs to Portis. The other two got no gains.
One thing I think that has been overlooked about Portis this year is the weight he put on in the offseason. He intentionally beefed up to withstand the pounding like he took last year but does anyone think he has looked a step slower with his cuts since gaining the LBS? I think it helps a ton with pass protection and running up the middle but might have hurt just a little with his ability to break big runs.
onsidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #40
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsidekick
One thing I think that has been overlooked about Portis this year is the weight he put on in the offseason. He intentionally beefed up to withstand the pounding like he took last year but does anyone think he has looked a step slower with his cuts since gaining the LBS? I think it helps a ton with pass protection and running up the middle but might have hurt just a little with his ability to break big runs.

I think that and him being banged up have slowed him down a step. He has been wearing a wrap or knee brace on one of his legs (left?) most or all of the season.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #41
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: Great Win, Just 1 Question Though

Jim Brown told Paul Brown & Blanton Collier, you pay me to run, not block. I never saw Jim Brown throw a block and I watched his entire career from 1956 to 1965. While Portis is a good and serviceable running back who will block and do all the little things it takes to win games, I'm still not convinced he's a good back to run against NFC East teams. It's not always easy to run outside all the time as some has suggested, and in close games when you're trying to protect a one possession lead it becomes neccessary to run the ball inside which is not Clinton's strongest suite. I do however like the one-two combination of he and Betts providing the latter can stay healthy long enough to continue making significant contributions.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #42
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
Jim Brown told Paul Brown & Blanton Collier, you pay me to run, not block. I never saw Jim Brown throw a block and I watched his entire career from 1956 to 1965. While Portis is a good and serviceable running back who will block and do all the little things it takes to win games, I'm still not convinced he's a good back to run against NFC East teams. It's not always easy to run outside all the time as some has suggested, and in close games when you're trying to protect a one possession lead it becomes neccessary to run the ball inside which is not Clinton's strongest suite. I do however like the one-two combination of he and Betts providing the latter can stay healthy long enough to continue making significant contributions.
The other problem with Betts is his tendency to fumble the ball.

I agree about the blocking. Every player on the team at some point has to throw a block, that's a part of the game that cannot be avoided. So while it's good that Portis has proven to be a effective blocker, that's supposed to be a bonus, not his reason for being in a Washington uniform. Same goes for wide receivers. Yes you want them to block effectively. But that's secondary to their overall purpose on the team.

A back of Portis supposed talent was to get big time yardage. He hasn't done that. I've lost faith in the "they're not calling the right running plays" argument. At one time, I thought that could have been a factor, but come on. He didn't avoid the middle in Denver. They weren't all toss sweeps that Shanahan was calling. Another part of it is that this offensive line, while improving steadily, isn't quite at a powerhouse, Top Five level quite yet.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #43
Dirtbag
Special Teams

We absolutely have to run more sweeps to Portis. He's so dangerous on those plays.

We also need to get David Patten involved more. He had zero catches again yesterday.
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #44
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

We do go to David Patten, he's just got to make the most of the opportunities when they're thrown his way. So far, guys like Cooley and Sellers are making the most of the opportunities presented to them. I can definitely see Sellers becoming more involved in the passing attack.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #45
railcon56
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
Dockery does deserve a game ball tho...was probably one of the biggest plays this season...