Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Haskins heading into next season?
Promising, he looks like he could be a player 43 72.88%
Still on the fence 15 25.42%
He's a bust 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #181
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: The Haskins Threat 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Probably working on his mobility. DH's pocket presents is good. Probably have him working on bootlegs and roll outs. HTTR.
His pocket presence is probably his most advanced trait so far imo. I think it’s almost to good how he doesn’t let what’s happening outside the pocket effect him. He stands in there like a champ.

I hope I am one of the fans having a revelation because of his future play. I just don’t see him being elite top 10. That footwork is so awkward and bad, even when he has time. Inconsistent mechanics.

I think he can be a 10-15 best QB ... which is fine, you can win with that, he has shown the ability to take chances and make big game changing plays.

Hopefully he breaks right through this random fans “too early to tell” prediction.

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #182
Ohioskins
Special Teams

I watched every game he player his last year at OSU and I can tell you: he is fearless, he will wait as long as he has to in order to make the big play; he has a rocket for an arm; he is very, very intelligent; he is a natural leader.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #183
Ohioskins
Special Teams

And perhaps the biggest reason he beat out Joe Burrow at OSU in 2018 is that Burrow simply could not match the lightening bolt that Haskins has in his right arm. He does need to work on his footwork. His arm is so strong that right now he can make all the throws even with bad footwork. But as his footwork improves, look out for his future.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #184
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
And perhaps the biggest reason he beat out Joe Burrow at OSU in 2018 is that Burrow simply could not match the lightening bolt that Haskins has in his right arm. He does need to work on his footwork. His arm is so strong that right now he can make all the throws even with bad footwork. But as his footwork improves, look out for his future.
You’re a buckeyes fan but in 2017 wasn’t burrow “in the lead” for the backup spot behind JT Barrett before he broke his hand in training camp? Didn’t burrow then transfer from Ohio state in May 2018 before the 2018 season practices even started?

2017 - burrow broke his hand in training camp.
2018 - burrow was with LSU and not OSU

Am I confused? I very well could be
Old 05-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #185
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I hope I am one of the fans having a revelation because of his future play. I just don’t see him being elite top 10. That footwork is so awkward and bad, even when he has time. Inconsistent mechanics.
That has to be fixable as I have seen good footwork out of him under duress and as you say bad footwork with a clean pocket and throwing lanes. I just think he needs lots and lots of practice reps and then some more till good techniques are burned in to his memory. I read quite a few stories of Steve Young relating to how Bill Walsh fixed all his bad tendencies. He said it involved an insane amount of practicing the same thing over and over again, and again. He said quite often he had almost had enough of the monotony and wanted to walk off the practice field and go home. I think that is what Haskins needs to fix his issues with techniques.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #186
Ohioskins
Special Teams

In 2017 Burrow was not "in the lead" as the backup to Barrett. As an aside, truth is both Haskins and Burrow were far better passers than Barrett. Anyway, there was stiff competition between Burrow and Haskins with neither really having an edge. But during Burrows' lost season after the broken hand, Haskins really developed significantly as the full time backup to Barrett. Haskins lead the amazing 2017 comeback win against Michigan after Barrett was hurt. Haskins made several key completions that won the game, literally. After that season where Haskins really took off, and Burrows' hand healed, Burrow went to Meyer and asked him if Meyer would treat him as equal with Haskins for the starting job in 2018. Meyer told him, no that Haskins had pulled ahead of him and he could not make any promise to Burrow that he would get an equal shot at the starting job in 2018. Burrow then went into the transfer portal. So the biggest factor was probably the amazing completions that Haskins made in relief of Barrett during the 2017 come from behind win against Michigan. One of those passes, one a third and long situation was truly amazing. Haskins fit the throw into an incredibly small completion window for a first down. His performance in the 2017 Michigan game is what sealed Haskins position ahead of Burrow going into 2018.

Last edited by Ohioskins; 05-04-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #187
MTK
\m/

I think we keep forgetting how inexperienced he was coming into the NFL. Plenty of rookies come in needing a lot of work on fundamentals.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #188
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Can we stop talking about Burrow/ Haskins? It was a few years ago and both were in college. Obviously Burrow got a lot better and improved in all areas.

DH can't get by on his physical gifts alone. Plenty of guys with huge arms have failed in the NFL.

I think not having an off season is going to hurt DH. New staff has to be patient with him and can't get impatient cause he may not know the entire playbook. They need to do what Gruden would not do - dummy down the offense.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #189
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think we keep forgetting how inexperienced he was coming into the NFL. Plenty of rookies come in needing a lot of work on fundamentals.
Bingo.

A lot of his rookie blunders can be coached. (Poor footwork, sloppy arm mechanics at times, etc.) And should be fixed with a coach who actually gives him the time of day.

However, the things that CAN'T be coached (Pocket presence, cannon arm, swagger, etc.) he seems to already have.

Combining all that with the fact that he seems willing to work and earn his spot makes me a believer. He just needs time and attention with/from the coaches.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:41 AM   #190
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If Haskins balls out (he will) for us, I'm gonna have to read Haskins Threat 9.0 down the line. We should've drafted Tua lol. JK. Damn you SD, proofread! To be fair to myself, on my cellphone keyboard, D and T are close.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #191
rocnrik
Playmaker

No doubt Haskins has the tools to be our franchise QB .. just need the playmakers around him and that includes O line... I hope he improves and does become the leader we need! With a rising ( on paper) D we can add more weapons to the O next year there is no reason we can’t be in the nfc East playoff next year..
Old 05-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #192
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Fam, y’all have GOT to read this entire article. I’ve always been in the l”et’s wait and see” camp with Haskins, but after reading this article, from his own words I’m now all in on him. Love his humility and work ethic. Hope he makes it big.

https://www.redskins.com/news/dwayne...rst-nfl-season
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
Old 05-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #193
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Fam, y’all have GOT to read this entire article. I’ve always been in the l”et’s wait and see” camp with Haskins, but after reading this article, from his own words I’m now all in on him. Love his humility and work ethic. Hope he makes it big.

Have always said that dude is SMART, it sounds like he now realizes the level that he has to work at in the NFL.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #194
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post

Very good article.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #195
Ohioskins
Special Teams

That is the Haskins I watched at Ohio State. A humble, team and family first kind of guy.
Closed Thread