Just wondering where blm is after the holiday weekend shameful

Advertisements
Old 07-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #167
JackLord
Special Teams

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Get rid of Red in the name, just sounds forced.
Worked for Miami University and St Johns University.

The only thing that has kept me engaged during L'Regime Snyder has been the history and traditions.

We can keep those. But if we switch to something radically different, those go out the window and there is little incentive to stick around.

Of course, that is just me. Obviously other opinions are equally as valid.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #168
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I haven't posted here for years but I was curious to see what you guys think.

I really think they need to retain the B&G at all costs. We may be forced to change our name, but we have almost 90 years of tradition that doesn't need to be flushed down the toilet due to politics.

My preferences:

1. Warriors - as mentioned, Snyder has the rights to it and may have had this plan in his back pocket the entire time, knowing it would eventually happen.

We could keep the uniforms or change to the 70th Anniversary spear set and still have one of the better looks in the NFL. NO BLACK JERSEYS. Black for black's sake is never good. I prefer tradition over trends.

2. Braves - go back to our original name and it would probably have the least impact in terms of feeling like we're losing our identity.

If we go with that name, I'd love to see the leather helmet throwbacks become our primary uniform.

3. Redhawks - I wasn't a fan of it until I saw the concept that skinsfaninok posted above.

The feathered "R" logo is fantastic, but I might prefer using the Gibbs' "R" logo in it.

4. Redtails - Solid identity with some significant meaning and local roots too as 3 of the 5 Tuskegee airmen were from the D.C. area. My only hesitation is if the current racial situation in the country is the suggestion...these men were true heroes that deserve honor, not a consolation prize or being awarded it because of the color of their skin. They do not need reparation payments, they've earned all of the respect in the world based on their heroic acts. That's above politics.

I saw a concept online based on the leather helmet set with some red airplane striping added to the helmet and aviation logos on the pants.

5. Renegades - we can keep the color scheme and most logos, probably not the Indian head since we'd then be calling Native Americans violent.

70th Spear uniform!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Nike pulling our merchandise but not the Super Bowl champ Chiefs is really hypocritical. They also get heavily invested in racial politics with Kaepernick yet take this giant stand against us? And yes, there's the Chinese child labor too...

It's sad that Dan is really being blackmailed into this. He's defended the team and its tradition forever, even won in the Supreme Court when challenged, but the political powers have found a way to force him into it by making it impossible to financially afford to keep it. The D.C. mayor, FedEx and Nike's moves are more pressure than he can withstand.

After this happens, no one will be happier for it. The culture cancel movement will move onto the next target. I would not be surprised if someday the New England Patriots are a target...we're seeing in this nation how many people are offended by the concept of Patriotism, our flag, our monuments, our history, our simple founding as a nation.

Then who? The Vikings are practicing "cultural appropriation". The Cowboys, Browns and Bills named after white men so that's "white privilege". The Giants are fat shaming. The Packers can be interpreted many ways. The 49ers symbolize corporate greed and wrecking the environment, as do the Steelers. No profiting off of endangered species! Raiders and Buccaneers promote violence. Saints are promoting religion and the Fleur de Lis was used to brand runaway slaves.

Where will it stop?

Last edited by Monkeydad; 07-06-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #169
MTK
\m/

Buster where have you been!?
Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #170
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Get rid of Red in the name, just sounds forced.

I tend to agree. That's another reason I think Redtails and Redhawks gained so much steam...some people want to hold onto the "Red".

I'd prefer to keep the color scheme but go with Warriors or Braves.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #171
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Buster where have you been!?
Matty, you remember me!

Enjoy the break from me?

Just very busy, I've come on to lurk a few times but not as active in posting obviously. I've still been cleaning up in the Warpath fantasy league though.

Took my son to his first Skins game last year against the Lions...great first game for him to see.

Excited for this year's team...a lot to be excited about as a Washington ___(fiill-in-the-blank)___ fan!
Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #172
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Matty, you remember me!

Enjoy the break from me?

Just very busy, I've come on to lurk a few times but not as active in posting obviously. I've still been cleaning up in the Warpath fantasy league though.
Good to see you back around
Old 07-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #173
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

I like you top 3 picks but I have mine in a different order. - I think as much as I hate this that besides the name change there will need to be a logo change. I don't like the Red Tails though because it could bring up more protests. Saw that logo you were talking about and I'm not a fan of it but maybe because I just don't want a name change....- just my opinion

I think most of us don't want a name change. Might be a good time to drop Washington as well depending on where we are playing....

1. Braves because that is what their original nick name was and it is a general term Change logo to Spear Can keep uniform the it is now or go to Home - burgundy jersey and gold pants Away - Burgundy pants and white jerseys, or you could go with gold pants

2. Warriors - because it is a general term Change logo to Spear Can keep uniform the it is now or go to Home - burgundy jersey and gold pants Away - Burgundy pants and white jerseys, or you could go with gold pants

3. Mohawks - would have to talk to tribe chief and get their blessing. Set up a fund for them and give them royalties - Change logo logo to Spear. Can keep uniform the it is now or go to Home - burgundy jersey and gold pants Away - Burgundy pants and white jerseys, or you could go with gold pants. I don't see this happening because down the road there could be more protests.

4. Redhawks - Change logo to R. Can keep uniform the it is now or go to Home - burgundy jersey and gold pants Away - Burgundy pants and white jerseys, or you could go with gold pants

If we go in an entirely different direction then I think I like Renegades for a nick name. Uniform could change but could also keep it the way it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I haven't posted here for years but I was curious to see what you guys think.

I really think they need to retain the B&G at all costs. We may be forced to change our name, but we have almost 90 years of tradition that doesn't need to be flushed down the toilet due to politics.

My preferences:

1. Warriors - as mentioned, Snyder has the rights to it and may have had this plan in his back pocket the entire time, knowing it would eventually happen.

We could keep the uniforms or change to the 70th Anniversary spear set and still have one of the better looks in the NFL. NO BLACK JERSEYS. Black for black's sake is never good. I prefer tradition over trends.

2. Braves - go back to our original name and it would probably have the least impact in terms of feeling like we're losing our identity.

If we go with that name, I'd love to see the leather helmet throwbacks become our primary uniform.

3. Redhawks - I wasn't a fan of it until I saw the concept that skinsfaninok posted above.

The feathered "R" logo is fantastic, but I might prefer using the Gibbs' "R" logo in it.

4. Redtails - Solid identity with some significant meaning and local roots too as 3 of the 5 Tuskegee airmen were from the D.C. area. My only hesitation is if the current racial situation in the country is the suggestion...these men were true heroes that deserve honor, not a consolation prize or being awarded it because of the color of their skin. They do not need reparation payments, they've earned all of the respect in the world based on their heroic acts. That's above politics.

I saw a concept online based on the leather helmet set with some red airplane striping added to the helmet and aviation logos on the pants.

5. Renegades - we can keep the color scheme and most logos, probably not the Indian head since we'd then be calling Native Americans violent.

70th Spear uniform!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Nike pulling our merchandise but not the Super Bowl champ Chiefs is really hypocritical. They also get heavily invested in racial politics with Kaepernick yet take this giant stand against us? And yes, there's the Chinese child labor too...

It's sad that Dan is really being blackmailed into this. He's defended the team and its tradition forever, even won in the Supreme Court when challenged, but the political powers have found a way to force him into it by making it impossible to financially afford to keep it. The D.C. mayor, FedEx and Nike's moves are more pressure than he can withstand.

After this happens, no one will be happier for it. The culture cancel movement will move onto the next target. I would not be surprised if someday the New England Patriots are a target...we're seeing in this nation how many people are offended by the concept of Patriotism, our flag, our monuments, our history, our simple founding as a nation.

Then who? The Vikings are practicing "cultural appropriation". The Cowboys, Browns and Bills named after white men so that's "white privilege". The Giants are fat shaming. The Packers can be interpreted many ways. The 49ers symbolize corporate greed and wrecking the environment, as do the Steelers. No profiting off of endangered species! Raiders and Buccaneers promote violence. Saints are promoting religion and the Fleur de Lis was used to brand runaway slaves.

Where will it stop?
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #174
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Redspears
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #175
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I find it hilarious Nike is taking a stand on ethical grounds, but using cheap labor doesn't violate their moral code.

Even if the name is something dumb and generic like Warriors, I'm still gonna be rooting for this squad. I just don't think Snyder and whoever is helping him is creative enough to come up with a name that will not only wipe the slate clean, but also be good enough to make us forget about Redskins. Redskins (love it or hate it) was a unique moniker that stood out in the sports world. Look at recent history, Vegas Golden Knights? Oklahoma City Thunder? Winnipeg Jets? Houston Texans? New team names have been weak AF for a while now. We're probably gonna end up with some generic simpleton name designed to be as minimal thought-provoking as possible.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #176
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I find it hilarious Nike is taking a stand on ethical grounds, but using cheap labor doesn't violate their moral code.

Even if the name is something dumb and generic like Warriors, I'm still gonna be rooting for this squad. I just don't think Snyder and whoever is helping him is creative enough to come up with a name that will not only wipe the slate clean, but also be good enough to make us forget about Redskins. Redskins (love it or hate it) was a unique moniker that stood out in the sports world. Look at recent history, Vegas Golden Knights? Oklahoma City Thunder? Winnipeg Jets? Houston Texans? New team names have been weak AF for a while now. We're probably gonna end up with some generic simpleton name designed to be as minimal thought-provoking as possible.
I agree and it is mind boggling to me. How a billion dollars business can't pay enough competent people to come up with a true badass name...

Hope we're proven wrong though.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #177
MTK
\m/

Washington Widgets

Hopefully nobody will be offended
Old 07-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #178
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Washington Widgets

Hopefully nobody will be offended
As someone who is vehemently anti-widget I'm gonna start the picket line if this passes.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #179
ram29jackson
Special Teams

after a local tribe. Keep the logo though
ram29jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #180
ram29jackson
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

its all a show for the elie's amusement.
we are the actors who play along
ram29jackson is offline   Reply With Quote