Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Stanley Caps

Other Sports

Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 AM   #136
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Stanley Caps

Flyers look like they are in a different class than everyone else and they are young....
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #137
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I am digging the all division play this year. Really adds a nice element to the shorter season. Now if we can only get our Russians to follow the 2021 rules contract they signed....
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #138
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I go to a lot of Hershey Bears games locally, so I get to know the future stars of the Caps pretty well.

Vanacek's going to be good in goal despite a slow start, solid backup to Samsonov. Mike Sgarbosa will make a good impact with more playing time and could be really good. Same with Pinho when he gets healthy, solid depth.

Vrana will probably have his best year yet.

It's always sad when the top Bears players get called up, but fun to watch them get in games for the Caps, even if just in garbage time.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #139
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

If this was Reddit I would be heavily downvoted for not hopping on the "fuck Tom Wilson" bandwagon, but I'll make my case here instead.

There have been times in the past where I have declined to defend Willy's actions because they just appeared inexcusable, but this is not one of those times. I think that statement the Rangers put out is a classic "if I cry hard enough, maybe I'll get my way" and them and all the other fans conveniently like to ignore Panarin hopped on Wilson's back first. You jump in the shit, you get what you get. Wilson did not start this either, there isn't a single player in the NHL that won't jump in to defend their goalie when you start getting up in the crease invading their personal space on a play that's already stopped. The punch "to the head" that the media and fans have ran with was actually to the upper left of the nameplate on his back. Panarin and his teammates have no fucking business crying after he hopped on Tom Wilson's back. Every action has a reaction. Everything that happened in that scrum was absolutely typical of any game and the only reason a big deal is being made it's Tom Wilson. If he was on any other team I guarantee that team's fans would have his back too. Wilson didn't help his case flexing in the penalty box but you know there's no way he's gonna let them talk shit from the bench and not respond. And then they got the nerve to phrase it like he's out long term from some horrific act of violence and not for 3 games. GTFOH.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #140
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
If this was Reddit I would be heavily downvoted for not hopping on the "fuck Tom Wilson" bandwagon, but I'll make my case here instead.

There have been times in the past where I have declined to defend Willy's actions because they just appeared inexcusable, but this is not one of those times. I think that statement the Rangers put out is a classic "if I cry hard enough, maybe I'll get my way" and them and all the other fans conveniently like to ignore Panarin hopped on Wilson's back first. You jump in the shit, you get what you get. Wilson did not start this either, there isn't a single player in the NHL that won't jump in to defend their goalie when you start getting up in the crease invading their personal space on a play that's already stopped. The punch "to the head" that the media and fans have ran with was actually to the upper left of the nameplate on his back. Panarin and his teammates have no fucking business crying after he hopped on Tom Wilson's back. Every action has a reaction. Everything that happened in that scrum was absolutely typical of any game and the only reason a big deal is being made it's Tom Wilson. If he was on any other team I guarantee that team's fans would have his back too. Wilson didn't help his case flexing in the penalty box but you know there's no way he's gonna let them talk shit from the bench and not respond. And then they got the nerve to phrase it like he's out long term from some horrific act of violence and not for 3 games. GTFOH.
Tom Wilson did nothing wrong

NYR when full soy in their response, as expected

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #141
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Tom Wilson did nothing wrong

NYR when full soy in their response, as expected
One thing's for sure, definitely expecting some antics tonight. You can't say that shit and not have shit pop off the next game. Bad timing the next game is two days after the last one too, that shit is still fresh.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #142
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
One thing's for sure, definitely expecting some antics tonight. You can't say that shit and not have shit pop off the next game. Bad timing the next game is two days after the last one too, that shit is still fresh.
Right off the bat

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #143
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

That shit was crazy
Old 05-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #144
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Preach.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #145
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I am hoping last night was not a lost opportunity for the Caps to galvanize for the playoffs. I worry about them. Ovie not well. Willie injured not sure how serious. The Kuzy and Sammy are still acting like dipshits and getting benched by Laviolette. The goalie play has been not the best and has been masked by some solid d play.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #146
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

My mourning period is over. I did not think the Caps would get past the first but there were some really depressing trends evident in that series. Oldest team in the NHL, lack of future draft capital. I think they resign Ovie but TBH I would be fine if they let him walk. Thanks for your time and the great memories but we need a rebuild. If they resign him I am okay with it too I just can't have any expectations of a deep run.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #147
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
My mourning period is over. I did not think the Caps would get past the first but there were some really depressing trends evident in that series. Oldest team in the NHL, lack of future draft capital. I think they resign Ovie but TBH I would be fine if they let him walk. Thanks for your time and the great memories but we need a rebuild. If they resign him I am okay with it too I just can't have any expectations of a deep run.
I would have expectations of a deep run if Ovi was willing to take a pay cut like Sid/Malkin/Letang did for the Pens, but it seems that's not gonna happen. I suspect they are waiting for the expansion draft to happen before they announce a new deal with Ovi so they don't have to waste a roster spot on him.

Obviously they went all in on a window and now the window's closing. It seems like they've lost the aggressiveness that comes with not winning a cup and everyone lowering their expectations. 3 years now and they haven't even sniffed the second round. If they really wanted to compete for another cup they need a serious retooling so they can have the depth on the third/fourth lines necessary to compete. And this goes without saying but Kuzy needs to go. His contract is an albatross and he's not holding up his end of the deal off the ice.

Wish they would win another title to solidify Ovi's status as a HOFer but let's be honest, if you had to pick between another cup and Ovi breaking Gretzky's goals record I think we all know what we would pick. The only thing that concerns me is Ovi probably needs to start tightening up his fitness, he's been able to rely on his status as a physical freak (look at his pre-game meal or listen to the stories of him drinking coke on the bench over the years) but you def. gotta start working harder to maintain that level of fitness into your late thirties. He's always been known for his physicality and his ability to stay healthy but this year was the first year he actually suffered a serious injury that kept him out longer than a couple games.

Idk I guess I'm taking the long way of saying I really don't expect them to compete for more cups until Ovi retires. And I'm willing to let that slide if he keeps maintaining progress towards Gretzky's goals record.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #148
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Kuzy would be better served on another team he needs a restart. Sammy looked good in goal. I worry about Backstrom a hip issue with a full season? He might be better served moving to third line and maybe even rest on PP during regular season. I get the opinion that Ovie breaking Gretzky's goal record would be cool and huge for the city and team but he is 4 40 goal seasons away from that (makes you wonder where he would be without the lockout year and the shortened seasons).
Old 10-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #149
SunnySide
Playmaker

Caps season opener this Wednesday vs NYR on TNT

NHL regular season opens tomorrow
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #150
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I will definitely watch but I am not excited for the team this year. Felt they didn’t try to improve. I think the next few seasons are about ovie and Gretzky playoffs be damned