Plaxico Agrees To Two Year Jail Term

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Plaxico Agrees To Two Year Jail Term

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Which is why we might not see the end of this. Plaxico can and is argueing that others had this happen and not getting the same sentence, but since the MAYOR and other high up officials came out against him, he was doomed.
I personally do not feel he should spend a minute in jail...the right to bear arms should be enough to supercede any state law. (but I understand that opens a huge can of worms on here)

I think if I were him, I'd take all that money I already accrued and take off to some foriegn island somewhere never to be heard from again. I'm not going to prison for something that dumb. Here Stallworth ACTUALLY KILLS a man (yes he darted out in front of his car, but the arguement could be made, if sober there would be a different outcome) and Stallworth gets 30 days? Plaxico carries a gun (which is a right) and shoots himself, no one else, and he gets 2 years? Nope...wouldn't serve that time.
1. We debated the issue of gun control elsewhere and I won't go there again other than to say, just like every other right in the constitution, it is not unlimited. 100% of the time and in every court in the land, the statute under which he was convicted passes constitutional muster. The law was constitutional and he broke it.

2. This was a plea agreement. B/c he agreed to take the deal, he can't get out of it. Essentially, he agreed to give up the fight in return for the State taking it easy on him. It's the end of this matter. Period. Lock it away. Done. Finito. Fini.

3. The Stallworth matter has been debated elsewhere and, while I have some reservations about it, it appears to be one of those very unique situations with facts that show real mitigating factors. Plax had no "mitigating factors" - he's got no excuse and gets no breaks.

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Which is why we might not see the end of this. Plaxico can and is argueing that others had this happen and not getting the same sentence, but since the MAYOR and other high up officials came out against him, he was doomed.
I personally do not feel he should spend a minute in jail...the right to bear arms should be enough to supercede any state law. (but I understand that opens a huge can of worms on here)

I think if I were him, I'd take all that money I already accrued and take off to some foriegn island somewhere never to be heard from again. I'm not going to prison for something that dumb. Here Stallworth ACTUALLY KILLS a man (yes he darted out in front of his car, but the arguement could be made, if sober there would be a different outcome) and Stallworth gets 30 days? Plaxico carries a gun (which is a right) and shoots himself, no one else, and he gets 2 years? Nope...wouldn't serve that time.
If he wanted to argue unfair sentencing, he would have had to go to trial, been found guilty, been sentenced by a judge, and then appeal. By taking a plea he severely limits his avenues of appeals, especially if the judge stays within the constraints of the deal. If the judge imposes a harsher sentence then Burriss might have options.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
1. We debated the issue of gun control elsewhere and I won't go there again other than to say, just like every other right in the constitution, it is not unlimited. 100% of the time and in every court in the land, the statute under which he was convicted passes constitutional muster. The law was constitutional and he broke it.

2. This was a plea agreement. B/c he agreed to take the deal, he can't get out of it. Essentially, he agreed to give up the fight in return for the State taking it easy on him. It's the end of this matter. Period. Lock it away. Done. Finito. Fini.

3. The Stallworth matter has been debated elsewhere and, while I have some reservations about it, it appears to be one of those very unique situations with facts that show real mitigating factors. Plax had no "mitigating factors" - he's got no excuse and gets no breaks.
you wrote all that in the time it took for me to comment on your point number 2. geez.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

This is the first smart decision that Burress has made in the last couple of years...

At age 34, he will get an invitation to someone's camp when he is fiished with his prison time because of his talent. He may or may not make an NFL team at that point, but he will get a "looksee"...

If you are looking to describe him in a single word, try this one:

MEATHEAD
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
wilsowilso

Quote:
the right to bear arms should be enough to supercede any state law. (but I understand that opens a huge can of worms on here)
This is a hilarious statement. IMO.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
JLW428
Special Teams

I'm glad that he got what was eventually coming to him. People with the mindset like that (I'm better than you, you can't touch me) deserve to be in prison.
JLW428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
redskinjim
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Bye bye Plax. Your arrogance ended your career. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...er, leg.
wow they dropped the hammer on that guy.Do ya think it had anything to do with stallworth not getting punished for his crimes that they come and throw the book at poor plax?
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinjim View Post
wow they dropped the hammer on that guy.Do ya think it had anything to do with stallworth not getting punished for his crimes that they come and throw the book at poor plax?
No .
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Wow. Didn't he initially turn down plea agreements offering much less time than this? His career is officially over. He'll be pushing 34 when he gets out.
hey Guys and after reading all the post's in this thread ....you are all right!

I heard the samething but have no proof,the law in NY says 3and a half but that can be in anyway...I was under the impression that the offer was 6 months and then halfway house and then house arrest but he kept turning them down and each time the offer went up till the DA just got pissed and say we will take our chances.
I have no sypathy for this guy ...the Giants bent over backwards and he just couldn't get it,yup he has talent but when do you say enough?
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #25
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I got yelled at on the Giant site ..so why not here.Stallworth and by no means am I making exscuses for him ....was dumb, stupid and just down right ignorant but he didn't have any malice or intent and there is a vidio of the person running out infront of him,now becuase of that, had they gone to court there might have been a chance that the jury would have gone against the victum ...you see in Florida if he contributed in anyway in his own death then the family would have gotten nothing,crazy yes but the law.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #26
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I got yelled at on the Giant site ..so why not here.Stallworth and by no means am I making exscuses for him ....was dumb, stupid and just down right ignorant but he didn't have any malice or intent and there is a vidio of the person running out infront of him,now becuase of that, had they gone to court there might have been a chance that the jury would have gone against the victum ...you see in Florida if he contributed in anyway in his own death then the family would have gotten nothing,crazy yes but the law.

I started to write a long winded statement to this very point and changed my mind only cause I lost track and wondered it others were upset at the NFL's punishment. I totally have to agree with you here. I know of a case in VA where a man who was drunk ran out in traffic at night to cross the street and not 1 but 2 SUV's ran over him. Amazingly he was flown out and survived and was let out of the hospital 11 days later with a cracked rib which lacerated his liver and that's why they kept him. No charges were filed against either driver.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #27
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You won't get yelled at here b/c, unlike the Giants board, most here are intelligent. We understand the concept of "contributory negligence". In Maryland, just as in Florida, a party cannot prevail in any civil suit if their own negligence contributed in any way to the accident. It's not wacky, it's an age-old concept in law.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #28
skindeep
Camp Scrub

Can u imagine going in to prison with hardend felons and describe your crime.

I hope that prisons full of giants fans.
skindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #29
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
If he wanted to argue unfair sentencing, he would have had to go to trial, been found guilty, been sentenced by a judge, and then appeal. By taking a plea he severely limits his avenues of appeals, especially if the judge stays within the constraints of the deal. If the judge imposes a harsher sentence then Burriss might have options.
You and Joeredskin are absolutely right...I just can't stand to hear that Burress is getting hard time for breaking a law that didn't hurt ANYONE (other than himself).
Sorry, but I do believe that professional athletes are "targets" and they deserve the right to protect themselves. Of course Burress is an idiot shooting himself. This is NOT a 2 year offense people. This should have been a probation and community service sentence issue.
It's just not right to look at Stallworth killing someone and getting 20 days...and Vick torturing living beings and being barbaric and getting a similar sentence to a guy that didn't hurt anyone, nor did he have intent to hurt anyone. He just carried a gun and accidentally shot himself. We have some serious issues in this country in terms of actual issues. Just cause NY has no handle on crime in their state doesn't mean they should make an example of a completely innocent man.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #30
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I think that Burress's penalty is overly stiff. But I also see two mitigating factors:
1) it was NYC, where they have a serious gun crimes problem. In a way I can understand why the penalties are so tough.
2) since the gun went off accidentally, what if it had been pointed accidentally in a different direction and an innocent person had been hit? What if a ricochet had hit an innocent person? Plax can hardly say that he could have prevented such events.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote