Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Teammates and coaches swear by Casey
So do fans. I swear every time I see him whiff on a block...like 5-6 times a game. What the heck? Does he have pictures on these people or what? He isn't a good center by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe they think his suckitude will make them look better by comparison.

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Apparently what they like about him is his ability to call out assignments and make adjustments for the line on the field.

I still haven't forgiven him for the Chargers game from a couple of years back
Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #18
SeanTaylor21SKINS
Camp Scrub

My thoughts on possible FA's....

Guard

Harvey Dahl (Atlanta) -- We have a good chance at landing him being the Falcons aren't likely to resign him.
Marshal Yanda (Baltimore) -- Not likely. Said to be the Ravens priority and he's not looking for a fat paycheck.
Davin Joseph (Tampa Bay) -- The Bucs are committed to re-sign him. His decision on re-signing with the Bucs will be affected by their dealings with Jeremy Trueblood and Barrett Ruud. If they stay he'll likely be a Buc next year.

Tackle (if Brown doesn't re-sign)

Tyson Clabo (Atlanta) -- Will probably get a big deal away from Atl. Same as Harvey Dahl.
Ryan Harris (Denver) -- Denver drafted Orlando Franklin. Will he replace Harris? If so this could be a guy we could go after. Young and talented.

Inside Linebacker

Paul Posluszny (Buffalo) -- Might test the market. He would be a really good pick up. Iffy if he gets away from Buffalo though.
Kevin Burnett (Chargers) -- Had an outstanding season last year with 95 tackles, 6 sacks, 2 FF, and 2 INT's. San Diego would be crazy not to resign him, but this would be a really good pick up as well.

Cornerback

Nnamdi Asomugah (Oakland) -- This would be stupid IMO. Don't waste all of our money on him please.
Antonio Cromartie (Jets) -- The Jets will certainly try to resign him, but would be willing to let him go if they were at risk of losing Santonio Holmes.
Ike Taylor (Steelers) -- Too old. Stay away... I'd rather have Barnes start than old Ike.
Johnathan Joseph (Bengals) -- Likely to re-sign with Cinci. Again, please don't throw all of our money at one single player. Please...

Defensive Line

Aubrayo Franklin (49rs) -- Probably the best NT available.
Kris Jenkins (Jets) -- Scary good when he's healthy.. Key words "when he's healthy." I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a shot though. At a low cost that is.
Barry Cofield (Giants) -- He would be a big upgrade. I really like the idea of Cofield and Cullen Jenkins. With those two our D-Line would be pretty damn solid.
Cullen Jenkins (Packers) -- He would really improve the D-Line. To say the least, I like him a lot.

All in all, I say resign Moss, Brown, Buchanon, and Heyer. Pick up an OG, a couple DLineman, an ILB, and maybe a CB depending on Buchanon. IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT! Please stay away from the older crowd if at all possible.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #19
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

One FA curveball that I hadn't seen mentioned, Vincent Jackson is one of the named plaintiffs in the Brady vs. NFL case. As part of the settlement he may get an exemption to his franchise tag. What will that do for our decisions at that position if he's fully unrestricted? I'd think he jumps ahead of Holmes and Rice in priority.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Apparently what they like about him is his ability to call out assignments and make adjustments for the line on the field.

Rabach used to be just awful at seeing enough of the field to make any sort of proper call that could prevent an unblocked linebacker from forcing a quick throw or sack. He was almost unplayable based on his inability to grasp the mental part of the game.

I think he's improved that part of his game since 2008 to the point where the Redskins can usually get a body on every player that comes between the tackles (the extent of the Center's responsibility), but I don't think it's THAT difficult a skill. I mean, freakin' Will Montgomery did the job flawlessly in relief of Rabach last season. And he had to get the call out early enough for Heyer to figure out what the hell to do.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #21
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I see a lot of value in resigning Jammal Brown, Santana Moss, and Ray Buchanon.

Brown's 2009 injury is the type that takes two years for a full recovery. He should be able to perform more like his old self this coming season.

Santana would be the solution to our need for a slot receiver. Moving him to the slot, assuming that we acquire a replacement for him on the outside, would make our offense more potent and prolong his career. I think the Skins should focus on landing a wideout like Santonio Holmes or Sidney Rice, move Moss to the slot, and let the rest of the current receivers and draftees fight it out for the starting job on the other side and backup roles.

I think Buchanon is a solid backup. He has done a good job in the past in multiple roles and he knows our defense.

I'd really like to see the Skins focus on the younger FA's. I want players who will be around for at least 4 or 5 good years so we can build with them.

Players I'd like to see us try to sign in FA:

Marshall Yanda (G/T): I just love the way this guy plays. He an athlete and a fighter. I think we should make a run at him with a very attractive offer. Screw the Ravens!

Cullen Jenkins (DL) and Barry Cofield (DL): That's right; both of them. These guys are both versatile and they can really play.

Kevin Burnett (ILB): He had 95 tackles last season for SD while playing ILB in a 3-4 defense. He would be a big upgrade for the Skins.

Brent Grimes (CB): This guy is a warrior. He can cover and he's much tougher than he looks at 5-10, 181.

Santonio Holmes (WR) or Sidney Rice (WR): Top-notch WR's who could replace Santana Moss on the outside when we move him to the slot.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #22
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Question with the interior Oline situation. It seems we will be targeting 1 new starting Guard in free agency. Is the FO content to the other starting Guard spot to come from players already on the roster?

He Gets Us
Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Question with the interior Oline situation. It seems we will be targeting 1 new starting Guard in free agency. Is the FO content to the other starting Guard spot to come from players already on the roster?
As is my understanding yes
Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #24
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I'm going to go insane if they line up Rabach at center again. Dude gets trucked over time after time it is ridiculous. I know he's a nice guy and a good leader, but we need to get better period.

I think their no. 1 priority should be guard, and RT if Brown leaves. I really hope Brown doesn't leave, b/c that would mean another bunch of draft picks wasted. Yanda would be a HUGE pick up, I think we should pay Yanda anything he wants. The guy 26 years old and could be a force a guard for years to come.

I don't get the fascination with Cofield. If we were 4-3 team I'd say let's go after him, but the guy has played as a 4-3 DT for his entire career and I don't think we need another 4-3 player taking a year to learn the 3-4 defense. I like C. Jenkins, I wish he was younger. K. Jenkins would be a nice pick up (for a reasonable price) as a NT mentor to our young linemen.
R.I.P. #21
Old 07-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I see a lot of value in resigning Jammal Brown, Santana Moss, and Ray Buchanon.

Brown's 2009 injury is the type that takes two years for a full recovery. He should be able to perform more like his old self this coming season.

Santana would be the solution to our need for a slot receiver. Moving him to the slot, assuming that we acquire a replacement for him on the outside, would make our offense more potent and prolong his career. I think the Skins should focus on landing a wideout like Santonio Holmes or Sidney Rice, move Moss to the slot, and let the rest of the current receivers and draftees fight it out for the starting job on the other side and backup roles.

I think Buchanon is a solid backup. He has done a good job in the past in multiple roles and he knows our defense.

I'd really like to see the Skins focus on the younger FA's. I want players who will be around for at least 4 or 5 good years so we can build with them.

Players I'd like to see us try to sign in FA:

Marshall Yanda (G/T): I just love the way this guy plays. He an athlete and a fighter. I think we should make a run at him with a very attractive offer. Screw the Ravens!

Cullen Jenkins (DL) and Barry Cofield (DL): That's right; both of them. These guys are both versatile and they can really play.

Kevin Burnett (ILB): He had 95 tackles last season for SD while playing ILB in a 3-4 defense. He would be a big upgrade for the Skins.

Brent Grimes (CB): This guy is a warrior. He can cover and he's much tougher than he looks at 5-10, 181.

Santonio Holmes (WR) or Sidney Rice (WR): Top-notch WR's who could replace Santana Moss on the outside when we move him to the slot.

Big time player, ATL would be insane
Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'd like to see Nnamdi but idk about that price..
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
SOUL-SKINS
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhskins View Post
i'm going to go insane if they line up rabach at center again. dude gets trucked over time after time it is ridiculous. I know he's a nice guy and a good leader, but we need to get better period.

I think their no. 1 priority should be guard, and rt if brown leaves. I really hope brown doesn't leave, b/c that would mean another bunch of draft picks wasted. Yanda would be a huge pick up, i think we should pay yanda anything he wants. The guy 26 years old and could be a force a guard for years to come.

I don't get the fascination with cofield. If we were 4-3 team i'd say let's go after him, but the guy has played as a 4-3 dt for his entire career and i don't think we need another 4-3 player taking a year to learn the 3-4 defense. I like c. Jenkins, i wish he was younger. K. Jenkins would be a nice pick up (for a reasonable price) as a nt mentor to our young linemen.
ditto
Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
Mechanix544
The Starter

We will sign the big name CB Asamough, Shanahan loves his shut down corners.
(anyone remember ol' champ?)

Skins Fans, look at it this way, there is no way our defensive line could play any poorly this year than last. With the addition of nnamdi and Atogwe to an already solid Landry and Hall..........along with the addition of our stud rookie OLB, our defense is looking much better and definitely rejuvenated. Add an upgraded NT, and you got yourselves a damn good defense. I am actually itching to get asamough. He might be the upgrade needed to turn our secondary as well as our defense from solid to great.

People seem to be forgetting, we have some excellent players on the defensive side of the ball! Here are my list of optomistic points that some fans might be forgetting about.

1. Secondary. With Atogwe added, FS is a concern no longer. Landry is free to roam and obliterate people, and should have a lot more oppurtunities this year than last. Last season he was a beast. Lets see how he grows when he actually has a solid FS, and possibly one of the premier shut down corners in the game roaming the WR wastes with him (Asamough). Expect Landry to be an all pro this season.

2. Our LB's - Cant wait to see the rookie beast play alongside Orakpo and Fletcher. Put a beefy, solid ILB next to fletcher thru free agency, and you have yourselves a very talented, very solid group. Expect big things from them this season.

3. Our D-Line - It cant get much worse than last year. I think its a foregone conclusion that we sign a FA NT this offseason, and I cant wait for that to happen. That instantly upgrades the line. Lets hope Carriker keeps hammering away, and we find the player on our roster who will take the reigns at the other DE position and excel. This unit will be MUCH improved this season.

4. Our Front Office - Shanahan and his son can do nothing but improve on last season. They are committed to making this team better, and with a heady decision maker in Allen, and an owner who will do and spend anything to win, lets hope their best attributes mend together into a winning formula. They proved they want competition on the roster and will let younger guys compete, as evidenced by the end of last season, and the largest draft class in the league. I think with the experience and wise decision making that BA and MS brought to this team when they were hired, it should really let Daniel Snyders best qualities shine through.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I'm going to go insane if they line up Rabach at center again. Dude gets trucked over time after time it is ridiculous. I know he's a nice guy and a good leader, but we need to get better period.

I think their no. 1 priority should be guard, and RT if Brown leaves. I really hope Brown doesn't leave, b/c that would mean another bunch of draft picks wasted. Yanda would be a HUGE pick up, I think we should pay Yanda anything he wants. The guy 26 years old and could be a force a guard for years to come.

I don't get the fascination with Cofield. If we were 4-3 team I'd say let's go after him, but the guy has played as a 4-3 DT for his entire career and I don't think we need another 4-3 player taking a year to learn the 3-4 defense. I like C. Jenkins, I wish he was younger. K. Jenkins would be a nice pick up (for a reasonable price) as a NT mentor to our young linemen.
I'm sure guys like Kory L. and Montgomery will get strong looks at C, but I'm not expecting them to look outside the team for a new center
Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #30
Monkeydad
Living Legend

JLC thinks Tavaris Jackson is a possibility for us? Wow...hope not.

Twitter