Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #61
MTK
\m/

Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

I was thinking today this might be a new golden age for Redskins QBs, we’re pretty lucky to go from Cousins to Smith.

We’re probably looking at a good 6-7 year stretch of highly productive QB play, just need to start making it count in the win column.

Advertisements
Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #62
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I was thinking today this might be a new golden age for Redskins QBs, we’re pretty lucky to go from Cousins to Smith.

We’re probably looking at a good 6-7 year stretch of highly productive QB play, just need to start making it count in the win column.
If you count RG3 we have had 4 great QB seasons in the past 6 years. now with AS we should have 3 for sure at a high level. Need to draft a QB in 2020
Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #63
WillH
The Starter

And Rex Grossman...n..nevermind

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #64
MTK
\m/

John Beck?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #65
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I know everyone is having a Smith lovefest. Really hope it all works out with him. But had the Redskins been patient, or had some vision they could have possibly signed one of the top FA QB's, kept Fuller and the pick, plus maybe saved money on the cap. W/ Smith as our starter, we're probably not better than Philly and possibly Dallas. We're worse at corner and down a 3rd rounder. How does that make us better?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #66
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I know everyone is having a Smith lovefest. Really hope it all works out with him. But had the Redskins been patient, or had some vision they could have possibly signed one of the top FA QB's, kept Fuller and the pick, plus maybe saved money on the cap. W/ Smith as our starter, we're probably not better than Philly and possibly Dallas. We're worse at corner and down a 3rd rounder. How does that make us better?
I see your point of view although, I fail to see which FA QB (beside Cousins) will be adequate replacement like Smith is? Bradford is probably closest as best QB available but with his injury history, he is not reliable.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #67
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
If we sign DRC or Scandrick we will be fine, both of those guys are quality CB's. They wanted Alex right after the season ended, Doug said it in his presser. Fuller was a good player but Smith is a must have. I still don't understand why a 3rd CB would be more valuable than a top 12 QB?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #68
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
In the past 5years, Cousins has had 52 interceptions and 15 fumbles, Alex Smith has had 33 and 9, or about 100 points lost, What's a turnover worth.

Believing that those splits will continue (at least for Alex Smith since we actually have more years to support that)that difference alone will make up for losing Fuller, assuming a reasonably able replacement is gotten and that we don't play defense with 10 players from now on.

The pick, yeah that's a cost, but Allen has been pretty good at getting picks back via trade. I think they were really hoping to get the 3rd for Sua, and maybe they still will. That said, next year we should see an extra 3rd or maybe 2.

The only other FA qb we could/should have looked at was Keenum, and he would have saved us only 2M more in salary cap this year than AS. So unless you were going with a true wing and a prayer solution at QB, the salary cap hit was a non issue.

As for being better or worse than Dallas/Philly. Our worst opponent last year was injuries. If we stay healthy, we will certainly be competitive in the division, and if our offense isn't turning over the ball in the redzone we will be better than last year.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #69
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
In the past 5years, Cousins has had 52 interceptions and 15 fumbles, Alex Smith has had 33 and 9, or about 100 points lost, What's a turnover worth.

Believing that those splits will continue (at least for Alex Smith since we actually have more years to support that)that difference alone will make up for losing Fuller, assuming a reasonably able replacement is gotten and that we don't play defense with 10 players from now on.

The pick, yeah that's a cost, but Allen has been pretty good at getting picks back via trade. I think they were really hoping to get the 3rd for Sua, and maybe they still will. That said, next year we should see an extra 3rd or maybe 2.

The only other FA qb we could/should have looked at was Keenum, and he would have saved us only 2M more in salary cap this year than AS. So unless you were going with a true wing and a prayer solution at QB, the salary cap hit was a non issue.

As for being better or worse than Dallas/Philly. Our worst opponent last year was injuries. If we stay healthy, we will certainly be competitive in the division, and if our offense isn't turning over the ball in the redzone we will be better than last year.

Kirk was also top 5 in INT's on 3rd downs and 4th qtr INT's. Those are the most crucial times to have a TO. Alex is a smarter player with the ball and that is very obvious. Plus Smith is great in the RZ for his career, another thing Kirk was not great at.

Smith had 25 Td's to 0 Ints in the RZ this year alone.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #70
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
If we sign DRC or Scandrick we will be fine, both of those guys are quality CB's. They wanted Alex right after the season ended, Doug said it in his presser. Fuller was a good player but Smith is a must have. I still don't understand why a 3rd CB would be more valuable than a top 12 QB?
Scandrick was never quite the same after his ACL/MCL tear a couple of years ago. He has lost a step. He fractured two vertebrae in his back last season, oddly against Washington, and was placed on IR. So he has not played any snaps since that happened. Something to keep in mind......

He is a one-trick-pony, good slot cover, but since his ACL surgery, he did not matchup as well with the outside guys.

He is a guy you want in your locker room though. Never heard anything but great things on his leadership and how good of a teammate he is.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #71
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Scandrick was never quite the same after his ACL/MCL tear a couple of years ago. He has lost a step. He fractured two vertebrae in his back last season, oddly against Washington, and was placed on IR. So he has not played any snaps since that happened. Something to keep in mind......

He is a one-trick-pony, good slot cover, but since his ACL surgery, he did not matchup as well with the outside guys.

He is a guy you want in your locker room though. Never heard anything but great things on his leadership and how good of a teammate he is.

which is what this team needs, true LEADERS and mentors.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #72
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post

Well, we really want to fill a slot CB spot, so if he can cover them good, maybe he actually would work out. Still I wouldn't be a fan of the move (unless he gives a game winning int against the cowboys )
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #73
MTK
\m/

Are we really still nitpicking the Smith move? We basically got the best QB available outside of Brees (and he was never truly available) at a pretty good price too.

I don’t want to hear about someone like Keenum being a better option, he had one good year playing on an absolutely loaded team. The Broncos didn’t exactly make a huge commitment to him with only a 2 year deal, they could definitely still end up drafting someone.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #74
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Philly was better in week one when we were healthy. But all good valid points, although I probably would only judge Cousins numbers from the last 3 years he started. I'm hoping Smith will be better in the red zone that Cousins was.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #75
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Are we really still nitpicking the Smith move? We basically got the best QB available outside of Brees (and he was never truly available) at a pretty good price too.

I don’t want to hear about someone like Keenum being a better option, he had one good year playing on an absolutely loaded team. The Broncos didn’t exactly make a huge commitment to him with only a 2 year deal, they could definitely still end up drafting someone.
Well this is a Alex Smith thread. :-)