Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2011 NFL Mock Draft thread.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #436
Landry44

Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Thank you Landry44 for bringing some reality back to this Jake Locker lovefest. I feel the same way you do about Locker. The more game footage I watch of Locker the more I dislike him. His highlight reel of big game winning plays are him running the ball. Look what happen to him in the Bowl game nearly got knocked unconscious when he ran the ball against Nebraska. He will get killed in the NFL if he runs like he did in college. He is not very bright for running with his head down.
Kind of reminds me of Patrick Ramsey, great guy, looks like your frat brother, tough, can take a hit, strong arm, but inaccurate. Just like Ramsey. One major difference is he can run and Ramsey could not.
Locker will not wake up one day and go from being inaccurate college Qb against lesser talent and suddenly transform into an accurate passer against MUCH better talent he will face in the NFL.
Locker is a project and a bit of a gamble. You do not draft a project with the #10 pick. That is a Cerratto move.
I don't understand why the world can't see that this kid just don't got it. When at Locker I see a kid with a great arm, quick release, and great mobility. However, I also see a kid that's inaccurate with the football, rarely go through his progressions, make terrible decisions with the football, and mediocre in almost every category that counts. People keep saying that his supporting cast wasn't all that good and didn't give him to much help. In his defense, I would have to say that's true. However, he didn't give them much help. I can recall so many games where he had time to throw and a wr open but couldn't get the ball to the guy. I've also seen him flatout miss open guys. Now I don't want anyone to think I'm being bias against him because I did want to see him do well this year. I really believe he's a good kid with very good character. The problem is he hasn't shown me that he can be a good qb. In my opinion this kid is nothing more than a project that's not worth drafting in the first round.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #437
Swarley
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
re:#2 - Yes, there is a variable amount of luck involved in picking a player due to injuries and bust factor. But there is much less of a crap shoot chance a blue chip player like LB Vonn Miller or CB Patrick Petersen is going to be bust than say a Mallet or Locker. It is not a complete crap shoot.

re:#3 - Nobody is saying we do not need a young Qb of the future. What the people that are against taking a QB at #10 is there is no QB in this draft worthy of projecting at the #10. The two QB's that most "so called experts" are projected worthy of being a top 10 pick Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton, will most likely be gone. I really am not too impressed with those two either anyway.
At this point filling the huge holes in our starting line up with quality players is more important then reaching for a Qb with question marks.
This is a deep draft, so spending such a valuable (#10 pick) at this point on a questionable QB (Locker) when there much less questionable talented players like a OT Anthony Costanzo or even possibly Tyron Smitho or a JJ Watt or Cam Jordan might still be there. There are so many other greater foundation needs to address then a luxury pick of a future franchise Qb that will sit on the bench come September. A day one starter at OT or DE/LB would be ideal at #10.
We have to get value player or else trade back.
I assumed you said we don't need a QB in the draft as you said it numerous times in your post. I personally don't mind if we take a QB high as long as the coaches really want him, but at the same time just look at the suggestion I have in my sig. I would love for us to get help on the DL and OL and draft a QB later. That way you aren't as tied to him next year as you would be a first round QB.

To that point though I definitely won't be disappointed if we go QB high, the coaches would have there reason for doing so. I highly doubt Vonn Miller or Patrick Peterson will be available at 10 anyways.

another point I want to make is that our O-line got better toward the end of the season and it isn't as atrocious as some would have us thing. They had a few good games and hopefully with at least a few weeks of FA we can sign a few players to help out, on top of the players we already have getting better.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #438
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
@IrMitchell

Ryan Mallett is the best qb in this draft. He has played behind a really poor line for the last 2 years and still put up huge numbers against top quality opponents.

@Mattyk

If you actually watched any Arkansas games you would know that they run a lot of bootlegs. You don't have to be a mobile qb to run the bootleg successfully on a consistent basis.
Oh I know, like I said Schaub was able to operate in KS's offense just fine. I'll defer to you on your opinion that Mallett can run boots. I admit I haven't seen a ton of him in action.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #439
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Oh I know, like I said Schaub was able to operate in KS's offense just fine. I'll defer to you on your opinion that Mallett can run boots. I admit I haven't seen a ton of him in action.
Does anyone have anymore insight on possible differences between Kyle's version of the offense and Mike's version, and who has more influence over the actual plays ran because I feel if such a difference exist it would help shed some light on what the Skins are looking for in a QB.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #440
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Does anyone have anymore insight on possible differences between Kyle's version of the offense and Mike's version, and who has more influence over the actual plays ran because I feel if such a difference exist it would help shed some light on what the Skins are looking for in a QB.
Look at the run/pass ratio of the MS Broncos vs. the Texans while KS was there. HUGE disparity. IMO we're better off with KS's offense with a higher percentage of power runs instead of the ZB/PA scheme.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #441
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
He didn't make anyone on his team better so how is it that he has great leadership skills?
Stop.
The team was 0-12 2 years ago (Locker on played in 4 games that year) this year they're 7-6 and won a bowl game in their first bowl appearance in 8 years.

When you say he didn't make anyone better you are factually incorrect.

Dude improved the entire football program.

And his leadership is universally praised even by scouts that don't like him.
The fact that you can't even make that concession makes it pretty clear to me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
His team was sub 500 under his so called leadership. He has the ability(like many others) to make big throws but he rarely does.
I concede that for his career he was sub .500 but again we're talking about a program that was on the downside when he got there and he brought them 2 back to back above .500 seasons.

He rarely makes big throws? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rang
Locker has made some of his most impressive throws in critical situations, coming through with clutch passes in upsets over USC, Cal, and most recently against Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl. Throws like those have forced scouts to wonder how successful he might be if surrounded by more talent.
Quote:
His accuracy is terrible that is why he had a 55% completion percentage.
Accuracy is not the same as completion percentage.
Accuracy is about ball placement.

But, even if you look only at his completion % to arrive at the conclusion that 'his accuracy is terrible' then how do you justify his 70% comp % outside the pocket? He cannot by definition be a net inaccurate passer if he's magically more accurate on the more difficult throws on the move outside the pocket.

Quote:
His whole college career has been mediocre at best.
His stats have been mediocre I'll agree with that but thankfully the scouting process isn't about looking at stats because stats tell you more about the team then the prospect.

*Even despite the large gap in the quality of the teams that surround them Gabbert the No.1 rated QBs 2010 stats aren't much better then Locker's:

Gabbert: QB Rating:127--63.6 comp %---16 TD---9 Ints----23 sacks
Locker: QB Rating: 124--55.4 comp%----17 TD---9 Ints----19 sacks

But, again its not even about the stats.

You look at the measureables: arm strength, ball placement, release, escapability, experience, ability to execute a pro-style offense, ability to execute 3-5-7 step drops in a rhythm passing offense, etc...

I understand that you might not understand or see why Locker is a top prospect, but lets not pretend that he's not okay?

HTTR!
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #442
Swarley
The Starter

nice post! I agree and if I wasn't so lazy I could have constructed a similar response lol.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #443
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Great Post 30Gut!!! HTTR!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #444
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

If the rankings were based on leadership, character , heart ETC. Jake locker would be the number 1 overall pick
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #445
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

K ready to mock

1. Panthers- Cam
2. Broncos- Dareus
3. Bills- Gabbert
4. Bengals- AJ Green
5. Cards- Miller
6. Browns- Julio Jones
7. 49ers- Peterson
8. Titans- Quinn
9. Cowb*tches- Smith
10. Skins- Locker

Ive changed my mind, I dont think Shanny lets Locker slide. I think if Peterson is not there at 7, 49ers are working phones and will find a partner to trade out.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #446
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ SF wants Peterson dude.

But maybe now TB is in the "need a DB list"

Troubled Aqib Talib all but gone from Tampa Bay Buccaneers - St. Petersburg Times
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #447
53Fan
Franchise Player

^ Wow. I'm really glad we didn't draft that idiot. At one point it was speculated he'd be our first pick.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #448
diehard
The Starter

I like Taylor as much, if not better than Locker, Dalton, Kaepernick, and Newton. Take care of other needs early then draft Taylor later on.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #449
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ tyrod Taylor? Ok my Man you've ate too much Easter chocolate today. Taylor isn't an NFL QB he is too small and not accurate enough. Great athlete but so was pat white
Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #450
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
^ tyrod Taylor? Ok my Man you've ate too much Easter chocolate today. Taylor isn't an NFL QB he is too small and not accurate enough. Great athlete but so was pat white
A 5th round project or bust doesn't set a franchise back as much as a 1st or 2nd round does when you have very few picks and too many holes to fill.