Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Haskins heading into next season?
Promising, he looks like he could be a player 43 72.88%
Still on the fence 15 25.42%
He's a bust 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #16
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The Haskins Threat 2.0

I'm not sold on him being a legit QB1 yet but he's gotten much better, he's still inaccurate on some throws but I'm hoping the O/S fixes that.

Advertisements
Old 12-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

What is Matt Cavanaugh doing? Nobody ever mentions him.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
Ohioskins
Special Teams

From watching here in Columbus last year his play with the Buckeyes, it was very evident that he possessed extraordinary raw talent that he just needed time to develop.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #19
httr198020
Special Teams

I've been very critical of Haskins. But I have to say I feel very optimistic about his future. He has improved every single week across the board and I believe hes going to continue to get better.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

I'm still on the fence. I don't think he will be a bust but I'm not sure if he will ever be elite...
Old 12-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #21
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
I'm still on the fence. I don't think he will be a bust but I'm not sure if he will ever be elite...
that's where I'm at, like he could be a Winston or Tannehill type.. Flashes some great games but also some bad ones
Old 12-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Fox flashed a graphic during the Giants game that said a lot. In his first few games his average time from snap to release was 3.0 seconds. In his first few starts it was 2.9. And in the last three it was 2.6 seconds. We can’t know who on the coaching staff helped him get there, I’d say it was everybody. Callahan set a tone on the whole team for more work ethic. O’Connell and Cavanaugh surely played a role. Haskins got better with adjusting protections. And then the external factors helped, the rookie WRs definitely all took steps forward and it didn’t hurt that the Lions Eagles and Giants all have terrible defenses.

But the important thing is you could see definite progression in the mental aspects. He adjusted protection well during pre snap reads. And he moved through the progressions well - I think in some cases his first read was just open more often because the Eagles and Giants can’t cover - but in other cases his eyes moved from first read to second read to check down pretty quickly. The sack numbers came down big time and his time from snap to release quickened.

It says he can make progress. His QBR the last few games was 58 out of 100. I think we have to find out what we have in him. I don’t think we’ll have to make a choice on Burrows, he’ll be gone, but either way there’s enough progress with Haskins to think we have some hope.

Let’s put some players around him, and some genuine defensive support through a better defensive scheme, and see where we can go.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Fox flashed a graphic during the Giants game that said a lot. In his first few games his average time from snap to release was 3.0 seconds. In his first few starts it was 2.9. And in the last three it was 2.6 seconds. We can’t know who on the coaching staff helped him get there, I’d say it was everybody. Callahan set a tone on the whole team for more work ethic. O’Connell and Cavanaugh surely played a role. Haskins got better with adjusting protections. And then the external factors helped, the rookie WRs definitely all took steps forward and it didn’t hurt that the Lions Eagles and Giants all have terrible defenses.

But the important thing is you could see definite progression in the mental aspects. He adjusted protection well during pre snap reads. And he moved through the progressions well - I think in some cases his first read was just open more often because the Eagles and Giants can’t cover - but in other cases his eyes moved from first read to second read to check down pretty quickly. The sack numbers came down big time and his time from snap to release quickened.

It says he can make progress. His QBR the last few games was 58 out of 100. I think we have to find out what we have in him. I don’t think we’ll have to make a choice on Burrows, he’ll be gone, but either way there’s enough progress with Haskins to think we have some hope.

Let’s put some players around him, and some genuine defensive support through a better defensive scheme, and see where we can go.
They were clearly building the scheme on the fly after Gruden left. I agree that we saw clear growth once he was named the starter for the season and the coaching staff put their efforts into his training. I am excited to see what he can do with a full offseason where the coach and scheme is designed for his strengths and our young receiving corp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

I think his floor was raised with the progress we saw the last few weeks. At this point we're all left to guess what his ceiling is but just to be optimistic I'll say he's going to be a stud.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #25
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think his floor was raised with the progress we saw the last few weeks. At this point we're all left to guess what his ceiling is but just to be optimistic I'll say he's going to be a stud.
I would be ok with him being in the same range as KC. I hope for better, but you can win with that.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
I would be ok with him being in the same range as KC. I hope for better, but you can win with that.
Agree I think he could end up looking a lot like Cousins, but with the potential to not be a total spaz in big games. Haskins seems like a pretty cool customer, Cousins seems like he will forever doubt himself just enough to get in his own way.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #27
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

You may consider me to be a cheerleader on the Haskins Bandwagon. I believe he has the talent and personal qualities to be an outstanding NFL QB.

His rapid development - while playing on a sprained ankle - was very impressive and I think we'll all be thrilled with the further improvements he makes to his game over the offseason.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #28
jamf
Pro Bowl

We haven't even seen what this kid can do with a real training camp and preseason.

Get this kid a TE or two and a starting caliber WR opposite McL so we can see what he can do.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Agree I think he could end up looking a lot like Cousins, but with the potential to not be a total spaz in big games. Haskins seems like a pretty cool customer, Cousins seems like he will forever doubt himself just enough to get in his own way.
You can already see that Haskins has a natural feel in the pocket that Cousins will never have. His ability to create plays when the pocket breaks down has been a nice surprise. Cousins is very much a rhythm QB, when the play breaks down he's not at his best going off script.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #30
SunnySide
Playmaker

As Shneed said, last 2 games we went up against poor secondaries and his first read was open. Thats not a bad thing, its a good thing that he can take what is given but I do want to see how he responds when the NFL has film on him and is taking a week to prepare for him. What doe she do when read 1 is covered? What does he do when D shows read 1 will be open but then like a DE drops back into zone unexpectedly right into the area he wanted to put the ball?

I was happy to see he was able to take a 3 step drop and get the ball out on time and accurate. That first half against the Giants, he was releasing the ball before the WR broke and that is a big indicator to me. He doesnt need to see the guy win at the top of his route stem before throwing it, he can trust his read and WR to win the battle and be at the spot he should be at.

I cant say whether he will be a star, a starter or a dud until after at least 16 games or so. I need to see how he plays when things arent easy for him. I need to see if he can adjust to the leagues adjustment to him bc right now, the league hasnt adjusted to him. They havent game planned for him. But they will next year.

Decent game against the Eagles and a good half against the Giants doesnt tell me a lot honestly.