Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #151
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

We put too much value on a first round pick sometimes. Especially one in the late teens to 20s. You get Stafford that's 4-5 years of top 10, top 15 at worst QB play. What 1st rd pick will give you that type of value other than a QB like Lawrence? Which most teams are trading 3+ 1st rd picks for

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #152
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
We aren't the Lions, we won the division with one of the worst offenses I have ever seen (We literally got to week 17 before getting ANY opening drive score)

Better QB play leads to more points which keeps the defense off the field which keeps them fresh, which leads to more wins. A first and 3rd if that is what it takes for Stafford, I am fine with it.

Also to point out we traded for Alex in 2018 when he was 34, and he had us leading the so called better division through 9 games before his injury and in that season our offense wasnt good either. If Stafford comes here he is instantly the best QB in the division and I am including Dak in that. We would be the favorite, and player on our team will be getting better as well. We have young talent but you cant just win with only young talent.

I just want to know if we dont trade for Stafford, Watson, or Rodgers who is our starting QB next season? And if someone says Marcus Mariotta we might as well go out there with Kyle Allen
The fact that they won the division with one of the worst offenses you have ever seen shows you that the schedule was pathetically soft.

I don't want them to just win the division every year (yeah I'm greedy). I want them to be able to compete for the whole thing every year. I do understand that you need a great QB to do that. I just question whether they can feasibly get a Watson, Stafford, or even Ryan, and fill out the rest of the roster - including adding depth. Maybe they can - they just hired a couple guys that would know that better than me.

In the end, I think I'm fine with a 1st and 3rd for Stafford as well, but I think before it's all said and done it will take more than that. There could be upwards of like 18+ teams that will likely be looking for a change at QB this offseason (per Schefty).
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #153
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
The fact that they won the division with one of the worst offenses you have ever seen shows you that the schedule was pathetically soft.

I don't want them to just win the division every year (yeah I'm greedy). I want them to be able to compete for the whole thing every year. I do understand that you need a great QB to do that. I just question whether they can feasibly get a Watson, Stafford, or even Ryan, and fill out the rest of the roster - including adding depth. Maybe they can - they just hired a couple guys that would know that better than me.

In the end, I think I'm fine with a 1st and 3rd for Stafford as well, but I think before it's all said and done it will take more than that. There could be upwards of like 18+ teams that will likely be looking for a change at QB this offseason (per Schefty).
You can only play who is in front of you. I dont see why you question that. Going into this season you would say there was twice as many if not 3 times the holes in the team and Ron did a good job filling some of them, got another off season with a potential camp, and FA and as of right now at least 8 new rookies with the young players that stepped up last year (Young, Gibson, Curl) going into their second season, and we get a player like Harmon back also from injury

Old 01-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #154
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You can only play who is in front of you. I dont see why you question that. Going into this season you would say there was twice as many if not 3 times the holes in the team and Ron did a good job filling some of them, got another off season with a potential camp, and FA and as of right now at least 8 new rookies with the young players that stepped up last year (Young, Gibson, Curl) going into their second season, and we get a player like Harmon back also from injury
I don't "question" that, I am acknowledging that, along with the fact that next year most certainly won't turn out the same way.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:04 PM   #155
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't "question" that, I am acknowledging that, along with the fact that next year most certainly won't turn out the same way.
Since none of us are psychic we don't know that.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #156
rocnrik
Playmaker

With Stafford we will be favored to win division next year and maybe win a playoff game or two ... you guys believe that with Kyle and Taylor we gonna win division? I’m not sure we would ... ( I’m not believing we gonna win division next year with anything less than 9 wins ) Take Smith out of picture ( he is done).. so what rookie at 19 pick is going to come in and scare anybody ? .. if we are going that route might as well stay with Kyle/Taylor combo.. if we try and get Stafford without trading away too much I’m good ( it will take this years 1st and maybe next years ) is that two much ?? Not if we go to playoffs next 4 years in a row ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 PM   #157
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

JP Finlay; Washington should trade for Matt Stafford. That's it. That's the headline:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...thats-headline
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #158
rocnrik
Playmaker

Something to ponder ... IF Tampa had not got Brady would they be in super bowl ? He is 10 years older than Stafford .
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:47 PM   #159
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Since none of us are psychic we don't know that.
You don't have to be psychic to determine whether or not there is a question mark at the end of a sentence.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #160
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

We don't have to pretend like that cap space is a set-in-stone object. We have execs that can move money around, create cap space by restructuring or releasing players, so I'm not worried about the financial aspect of it. I'm just worried about the price to pay. If the price is too steep, Ron needs to bounce. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we're one piece away from contending, this team still needs serious help at multiple spots. Unfortunately we had the luck of playing in a division so terrible 7-9 won it, but any other year 7-9 would be considered "progress, but not title contention." Somehow we've fooled ourselves into thinking we're a couple pieces away from contending. There's no Tom Brady to fall into our lap this year.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #161
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
We don't have to pretend like that cap space is a set-in-stone object. We have execs that can move money around, create cap space by restructuring or releasing players, so I'm not worried about the financial aspect of it. I'm just worried about the price to pay. If the price is too steep, Ron needs to bounce. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we're one piece away from contending, this team still needs serious help at multiple spots. Unfortunately we had the luck of playing in a division so terrible 7-9 won it, but any other year 7-9 would be considered "progress, but not title contention." Somehow we've fooled ourselves into thinking we're a couple pieces away from contending. There's no Tom Brady to fall into our lap this year.

I dont think we are one or two pieces of title contender, but are we one or two pieces away from division favorite? If one of those pieces is a QB I believe so, its that I get the feeling that for some of us we might as well have been 3-13 again

Old 01-26-2021, 02:14 AM   #162
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
It was for 5 quarters! TH is a journey man at best. He is not like some 3rd round pick we got and he is 21 just starting out.

Look at his "career":
December 8, 2020: Washington Football Team added QB Taylor Heinicke to the practice squad.

August 30, 2019: Carolina Panthers cut QB Taylor Heinicke.

December 26, 2018: Carolina Panthers placed QB Taylor Heinicke on IR.

April 16, 2018: Carolina Panthers acquired QB Taylor Heinicke off waivers from the Houston Texans.

April 13, 2018: Houston Texans waived QB Taylor Heinicke.

December 15, 2017: Houston Texans activated QB Taylor Heinicke from the practice squad.

November 29, 2017: Houston Texans added QB Taylor Heinicke to the practice squad.

October 9, 2017: New England Patriots cut QB Taylor Heinicke.

September 23, 2017: New England Patriots added QB Taylor Heinicke to the practice squad.

September 12, 2017: Minnesota Vikings cut QB Taylor Heinicke.

September 11, 2017: Minnesota Vikings waived QB Taylor Heinicke.

September 3, 2017: Minnesota Vikings placed QB Taylor Heinicke on IR.

November 8, 2016: Minnesota Vikings activated QB Taylor Heinicke from the non-football injury list.

July 29, 2016: Minnesota Vikings placed QB Taylor Heinicke on the non-football injury list.

May 9, 2015: Minnesota Vikings signed QB Taylor Heinicke.

Just no, TY is not the answer, just stop.
If you read my entire posts I did say that we should also draft a qb and bring back Allen.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:17 AM   #163
skinsfan69
Living Legend

if you were Stafford would you come here? Colts are already a playoff team w/ a very good o-line. They will play at least 9 games indoors.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:50 AM   #164
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
if you were Stafford would you come here? Colts are already a playoff team w/ a very good o-line. They will play at least 9 games indoors.
1. Yes.

2. So are we.

3. And you think that's a good thing?
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #165
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I think to work out the right approach you have to stand back and look at a few things. When building a SB contender, what has worked elsewhere? For me, there are 3 possible formulae for winning:

1) Find a franchise QB in the draft and build around him. Wherever in the draft doesn't really matter, to me it seems its more important to be able to recognise the talent (like Shanny recognised that RG3 might not hold up and that Cousins was an NFL calibre QB). Pats (TB), Packers (RA), Chiefs (PM), Seahawks (RW) etc. are winners that fit in this category (won multiple times in a span or at least multiple appearances)
2) Have a team in largely place that's missing a few key pieces. Often but not necessarily QB. I'd put the '16 Broncos in here (PM), '13 Ravens (Flacco wasn't franchise material, but the missing piece to get them there), possibly the '02 Buccs (added McCardell and Pittman to supplement a great D). Often 1 off wins because the team wasn't built as a unit so pieces fall away the following years.
3) Stars align. Team is already good overall, maybe great at some positions, but somehow it all comes together for the one year. I'd put the '09 Saints and the '17 Eagles in this category.

#1 is obviously the way to do it and build a team that will go to multiple SB's in a short span. Chiefs have managed to do it now, and the Pats did it before them. Hard to maintain without some serious cap juggling, but better to achieve sustainable results.

But if you're happy with winning an SB every so often, either of the other 2 will work (maybe with a bit of luck).

So for me, we're probably in the 2nd category. We could draft in a rookie QB and assuming we get the right one, build around him, but by the time he's ready our D will probably be fragmenting as the cap hits. Of course we could just keep drafting players that slot in, but you need a good personnel team to find the lower round picks and UDFA/cheap FA players that fit that scheme (like the Pats did up to last year).

As I don't think we are in that position (KS or no KS), I'd agree that bringing in a veteran QB to drive an O to marry up with our D makes most sense. Maybe we then draft our future Mahomes/Brady/Rodgers in 2-3 years time and move on to building a new team around him. But I'm not convinced RR is our Belichick or Reid capable of doing that. So for me you see there's a window now of 2-3 years to build a championship team and you bring in the pieces to get there.

That's why I go after Stafford now. And bring in the likes of Robinson, Samuel or Galloday, draft OL and TE to give him weapons, and patch the gaps on D by drafting CB and LB. If we lose our 1st and a 3rd to bring in Stafford we could do that with the remaining picks.

And if we lose out on Stafford, I'd stand pat and hope we can get our QB in the draft. I'm just not wholly convinced we have the talent to spot that guy in the lower rounds, especially if we part ways with KS.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote