Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Select Jarmon in 3rd Round of Supplemental Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Jeremy Jarmon... good move or bad move?
Good move 155 95.09%
Bad move 8 4.91%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #46
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Redskins Select Jarmon in 3rd Round of Supplemental Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
So who are the Skins going to cut from their Dline with Jarmon on board? I would have to think that Alexander is safe since he has more versatility as he can also play offensive line if the injury bug hits. I think Daniels is safe since he plays well against the run and is one of Coach Blatche's favorite players. So is it Wynn or Buzbee who gets the ax or both? Is there any restrictions as far as placing either on the practice squad (although I don't see Wynn accepting a practice squad position and he would just retire.)
Buzbee seems to have recovered from his injury from what I've read. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
budw38
Playmaker

Jarmon will have a year to practice and hopefully play this year , which should have him ready to be our starting DE to start 2010 . Had we used a pick on a DE next april , we would have likley had to wait a year while that pick developed . It's not like our DE's are getting younger . Lets hope he can play both DE spots and maybe DT on nickel packages and get some heat on the qb this year . Should Jarmon, Orakpo , Barnes make an impact this year , and DT,MK, and FD < our 08 picks > contribute , we will only have to focus on OL and maybe SLB in next years draft . I bet we sign 1 OL in F/A next year.
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #48
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
So who are the Skins going to cut from their Dline with Jarmon on board? I would have to think that Alexander is safe since he has more versatility as he can also play offensive line if the injury bug hits. I think Daniels is safe since he plays well against the run and is one of Coach Blatche's favorite players. So is it Wynn or Buzbee who gets the ax or both? Is there any restrictions as far as placing either on the practice squad (although I don't see Wynn accepting a practice squad position and he would just retire.)
Wynn would not be eligible for the practice squad due to his level of experience (a PS player can not have been active for more than nine games in his career or been part of the 53-man roster for a full season) and as you said there is no way he would take that demotion even if it was possible. I guess it would be possible for Buzzbee to go to the practice squad since he was only active for three games in 2007 and on IR last year.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #49
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
The supplemental draft is supposed to be "bargain shopping" you should be able to get Day 1 talent with Day 2 picks. If you rate a guy as a 2nd round talent, then you want to pick him in the 4th round or later in my opinion. I think that this was a reach and I hope that I am not bitching about it still in April.
Not really. Undrafted free agents are 'bargain shopping'; the supplemental draft is only for players that became ineligible after the regular draft. The rule of thumb for draft slot is similar to trading next years pick for an additional one this year. If you want a 3rd, it's going to cost you a 2nd because you are getting an extra year of service. Same thing here, if he was graded now as a 4th, we got him in the 3rd because we are getting '09 playing time from a '10 draft pick. Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21
Most scouts thought he'd go as high as 3 to as low as 6 in this years draft, so there is a debate about his talent level. He had a good year in '07 but obviously didn't play last year. Since we coughed up a 3rd I expect him to contribute some this season but hopefully he'll have a bigger role in 2010. I think Buzbee gets cut, and Jarmon has a chance to backup one of the starting end's.
No, he played last year, he tested positive for a banned substance after the deadline for entering the 2009 Draft so he had to go the Supplemental Draft route. He had a great '07 (7 sacks) but his production was down in '08 (4 sacks) largely due to more attention and double teams. That's probably why there was such a range in his draft slot predictions if he came out in '09.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman

Last edited by Paintrain; 07-16-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #50
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
Wynn would not be eligible for the practice squad due to his level of experience (a PS player can not have been active for more than nine games in his career or been part of the 53-man roster for a full season) and as you said there is no way he would take that demotion even if it was possible. I guess it would be possible for Buzzbee to go to the practice squad since he was only active for three games in 2007 and on IR last year.

Thanks SC Skins Fan. Also - just curious - whereabout in SC are you living and do you follow college football? I went to USC and still follow the Gamecocks and Spurrier (I know he was terrible here) is having a terrific recruiting season this year with many saying he has the best offensive line recruiting class in the nation so far.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #51
budw38
Playmaker

Draft Countdown - 2009 NFL Supplemental Draft A " scouting report on Jarmon
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #52
FRPLG
MVP

I like the pick. If for no other reason than the fact that we took a kid with talent and now can't trade the pick away in desperation when someone on our OLine get hurts.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #53
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Not really. Undrafted free agents are 'bargain shopping' the supplemental draft is only for players that became ineligible after the regular draft. The rule of thumb for draft slot is similar to trading next years pick for an additional one this year. If you want a 3rd, it's going to cost you a 2nd because you are getting an extra year of service. Same thing here, if he was graded now as a 4th, we got him in the 3rd because we are getting '09 playing time from a '10 draft pick. Make sense?

No, he played last year, he tested positive for a banned substance after the deadline for entering the 2009 Draft so he had to go the Supplemental Draft route. He had a great '07 (7 sacks) but his production was down in '08 (4 sacks) largely due to more attention and double teams. That's probably why there was such a range in his draft slot predictions if he came out in '09.
Yeah my bad, he had 9 ('07) then 4.5 ('08) but some scouts are saying his sacks dropped due to double teams in '08. Even though I think he's worth a 4th, I like the pick. This is an investment for the future w/ either Dainels, Wynn or both gone in 2010. This could be a solid draft with Orakpo, Barnes and Jarmon making a impact in their rookie year. Who can tell me how they slot Jarmon in terms of his contract?
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #54
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

If this is posted somewhere, I apologize for the re-post. Here is the transcript of the announcement that he was getting a year suspension. It doesn't really say much about his NFL abilities, but I thought the praises from his coach and his acknowledgement of the issue were very good signs. I LOVE KOOL-AID! (53Fan pass me that stuff next, don't worry about BHA, it won't do no good there!)
Jarmon Ruled Ineligible for Senior Season - KENTUCKY OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Quote:
Q: Just to be clear, did their test verify that it was something found in the dietary supplement?

“Yes. Let me be abundantly clear, this guy has been a model of discipline for our program. He has never had a disciplinary action and he has never even come close to failing the test before. It has never been an issue. This is a three week isolated deal that is very unfortunate. He has been unbelievable for the University of Kentucky. Do not lose sight of that. I don't know anyone that could represent this program better than he has in a lot of different ways and I am thankful for that and that he knows that.”
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #55
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Also from that article:
Quote:
Normally, we would not have a press conference to discuss this kind of issue, but Jeremy requested the opportunity to speak to it and with all the contributions and the things he's given this program, we felt he earned and deserved the right to do that. The way he had represented this program and how much it meant to him, we wanted to make sure that he had the opportunity to speak to the people he loves dearly in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the fans that have supported him, his teammates, coaches and staff.
Lets hope he sees the Redskins in this light and does outstanding work here.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #56
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I like the pick. If for no other reason than the fact that we took a kid with talent and now can't trade the pick away in desperation when someone on our OLine get hurts.
Unfortunately, we will now be forced to trade a 2nd rounder (Is there a Jason Taylor equivalent for the O-Line?)
Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #57
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Seems a bit high to me. Maybe Vinny's comfortable knowing we have a 1 and 2 next year. I just hope we're not bitchin' about it come draft day next year.
We're ~300 days before the next draft, plenty of time for Vinny to deal our top two picks
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #58
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
Draft Countdown - 2009 NFL Supplemental Draft A " scouting report on Jarmon
Thanks, I would looking for something like that. Anyway I'm sure the coaching staff loved this part

"Knocks down a lot of passes at the line"

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #59
saden1
MVP

I like this movie...Skins continue to spread their risk by adding two DE/LB type of players. If i'm not mistaken Jarmon was on track to being a 1st round pick. I give it two thumbs up.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #60
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

From Adam Schefter's Twitter page:
Washington had draft pegged pretty good, drafting Jeremy Jarmon in round 3. Five teams put in claims to draft Jarmon in round 4. Washington won him.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote