NFL.com's Redskins Season Preview

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: NFL.com's Redskins Season Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Exactly. 8-8 last year. No real changes to the offense which was dreadful last year. Yes, we're hoping some young players step up, but that's hoping at this point. We're hoping JC turns into a top level QB, but that's hoping.

I think we could be better than that, but if I were a non skins fan i would most likely predict 8-8 too.
I would say it's more than just hope with the younger guys. I'm sure Zorn and the coaches are expecting the young guys to step up and contribute. I'm expecting it to happen too.

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #32
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm still amazed that some don't see Dockery as an upgrade over Kendall, who at 36 is still a serviceable lineman, but he's also one with arthritic knees and is undersized at 285. Dockery gives us much needed beef up front and he's definitely an upgrade in my book.

While no big moves on offense were made that doesn't mean there won't be any improvements this year. The continued development of Thomas, Kelly, Davis, and Heyer is what is going to pay dividends, and of course JC finally having a 2nd season in the same system should reap some benefits as well.
This was my point exactly, couple seasons ago and Dockery was the prize LG free agent. I like his run blocking more than anything, if he can just keep the penalties to a minimum I think he will return to his old form. As for the receivers, we have no where to go but up. We know they contributed pretty much ZIPPY last year, so anything we get from them will be more. Receivers are notorious slow starters in the NFL, its just the way it is. Campbell being in the same system is huge IMO, having familiarity with an offensive scheme is vastly underrated. I dont know if we even ran some of those plays we saw against NE. And to build from this, Zorns playcalling should be improved as well. It seems like he is calling plays that do cater to JC's abilities, as others have mentioned. Overall....I agree its only a couple plays between 6-10 and 10-6, hopefully we can stay healthy.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #33
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

On the Dockery agruement. When Doc was here in his last stint with the Redskins, we had one of the best lines in football. Doc was a very important peice of that puzzle. One of the problems is still the age. None of our guys got any younger, but iwth that said I do believe that if we get out to another good start that the lessons learned after last years break down in the second half of the season will help the team.

I believe we will have a good football team this year. Last year before the collapse the team was ranked by all of the major Power pols in the top 5 from week 3- 8.

If we can keep this thing together and everybody steps up i see no reason why in a wide open NFC that we don't have a chance to be a major factor and contender for the NFC east title and beyond. This team has talent. I am very optpmistic and I like alot of what this team has done in the last few off-seasons. We are building depth and continuity. Let's get behind this football team, and not listen to all the guys who relly don't know what we are building here.

I can see us at 11-5 by years end. Hopefully 12-4. Realistic chance of this guys! HTTR!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #34
NWFanMan
Camp Scrub

Punter/Holder is an upgrade....HOw many games did we put ourselves into bad situations at the end of games due to poor Special Teams....punting & field goals. I bet we lost 2 games because of it.

11-5 is my prediction...including Week 1 win over Giants!

What's up with Osi Uman...whatever and is walking out of practice....will he miss 1st week do to disipline?
NWFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #35
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well so far the offensive line had held its own against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and New England. And although this was preseason, well this situation is better than them being completely killed in the preseason. Durability should be a concern, but I think we should take into consideration that our back ups are more experienced and could potentially replace some of the older linemen.

While I will be realistic and say that if JC or Zorn don't produce they will most likely be gone, here is the other side of that coin....

Zorn and Campbell's success in the next season could translate into success for the team in the next couple of years. Think about this:
- We have a talented bunch of young receivers (Kelly, Mitchell, Davis, and Thomas)
- Two talented young defensive ends (Orakpo and Jarmon)
- A young secondary (Hall, Landry, Horton, and Barnes...maybe Tryon)
- We have a couple of veterans in their late 20s who could contribute at a top level well into their mid 30s (Haynesworth, Rogers, Rocky, Cooley, and maybe Portis)

With a good draft next year of LBs and offensive lineman, our team could be set for the next 5 or 6 years. My point in all of this is that the team has been building throught the draft over the past two/three years. And Jason Campbell's success this season is key to our team. Should Jason fail next season, we are looking at starting once again with a new starting QB, and wasting away some good seasons while a new QB develops (unless the team happens to get lucky and pick up a veteran that can pick things up right away).
Good post Ruh!
I was thinking some of the same things; that the team is essentially under construction. Call it rebuilding or whatever, I think Vinny has a 3-4 year plan. This is year 2. I think 2010 will be when Vinny's plan sinks or swims. By then some of the young guys should be starters & JC (if he's here) will be a reliable qb.

I know it's easy to speculate that Zorn will be gone by year's end if the team doesn't make the playoffs, etc., but I think Zorn stays if he's in the 7 to 9 win range, playoffs or not. I think Vinny will lobby that he needs Zorn to remain in order for his plan to come to fruition. In 2010, LBs & O linemen like you said, will be priority in the draft. Also, the uncapped year possibility, that adds another dimension.

I can't disagree too much w/the "expert" picks. 8-8 is very fair since that was our record last year. They should at least point out that last in the nfc east is like 1st in the AFC west.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I think it's funny that the "experts" slam the Skins every year for the off-season Superbowl comments, but when we rely on program development, and players improving in our system, the comment is that we didn't "do anything" to improve those areas. Its one of those no-win situations. I doubt any moves we could have made would have changed our supposed position in the division.

I personally think we should be a 10+ win team, and at the bye we will be leading the division.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #37
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I would say it's more than just hope with the younger guys. I'm sure Zorn and the coaches are expecting the young guys to step up and contribute. I'm expecting it to happen too.
I think Thomas and Kelly should be MUCH improved this year. I too expect them to be much better. They are however unproven in games. So right now, we're hoping they bring it in the regular season. Stating the obvious here but they + the oline are keys to this offense.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #38
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think it's funny that the "experts" slam the Skins every year for the off-season Superbowl comments, but when we rely on program development, and players improving in our system, the comment is that we didn't "do anything" to improve those areas. Its one of those no-win situations. I doubt any moves we could have made would have changed our supposed position in the division.

I personally think we should be a 10+ win team, and at the bye we will be leading the division.
Correctamundo on the "no-win" situation. The only way to change that is to win on the field. I think we'll do that this year at least 10 times.

Bring on the New York Dwarfs! HTTR!
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #39
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well so far the offensive line had held its own against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and New England. And although this was preseason, well this situation is better than them being completely killed in the preseason. Durability should be a concern, but I think we should take into consideration that our back ups are more experienced and could potentially replace some of the older linemen.

While I will be realistic and say that if JC or Zorn don't produce they will most likely be gone, here is the other side of that coin....

Zorn and Campbell's success in the next season could translate into success for the team in the next couple of years. Think about this:
- We have a talented bunch of young receivers (Kelly, Mitchell, Davis, and Thomas)
- Two talented young defensive ends (Orakpo and Jarmon)
- A young secondary (Hall, Landry, Horton, and Barnes...maybe Tryon)
- We have a couple of veterans in their late 20s who could contribute at a top level well into their mid 30s (Haynesworth, Rogers, Rocky, Cooley, and maybe Portis)

With a good draft next year of LBs and offensive lineman, our team could be set for the next 5 or 6 years. My point in all of this is that the team has been building throught the draft over the past two/three years. And Jason Campbell's success this season is key to our team. Should Jason fail next season, we are looking at starting once again with a new starting QB, and wasting away some good seasons while a new QB develops (unless the team happens to get lucky and pick up a veteran that can pick things up right away).
Ahhh, wasting away good teams w/ an under performing qb. Reminds me of the MB days. Super Bowl caliber D, but couldn't move the damn ball.

I think JC is going to be fine this year, then it's decision time for VC.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #40
#56fanatic
The Starter

I really honestly can not get over the fact that some/most of the Redskin fans here really think we are better than what these guys have said. Look back and we haven't done anything to justify someone calling our names in the playoff picture. We have made the playoffs twice in the last 10 years, and took to miraculous runs at the end of the season to make it. Every year we are around 7-9, or 8-8. We have HUGE question marks at QB and receivers, and the O-line. Stop being delusional and look at it realistically for once. Dallas may be over hyped a bit, but their QB play is going to be better, the one two punch with Barber and Jones is pretty damn good. They have questions at receiver, but the D should be decent. The Giants are the Giants. Good running game, QB play, and very good O-Line and excellent D Line, and probably have one of the better D's in the league. The Eagles have one of the best playmakers in Westbrook (if healthy) and two explosive WR and good TE, plus McNabb. I would say 3rd or 4th in the division is a fair assesment, that is until we start playing consistant football every year.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #41
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I really honestly can not get over the fact that some/most of the Redskin fans here really think we are better than what these guys have said. Look back and we haven't done anything to justify someone calling our names in the playoff picture. We have made the playoffs twice in the last 10 years, and took to miraculous runs at the end of the season to make it. Every year we are around 7-9, or 8-8. We have HUGE question marks at QB and receivers, and the O-line. Stop being delusional and look at it realistically for once. Dallas may be over hyped a bit, but their QB play is going to be better, the one two punch with Barber and Jones is pretty damn good. They have questions at receiver, but the D should be decent. The Giants are the Giants. Good running game, QB play, and very good O-Line and excellent D Line, and probably have one of the better D's in the league. The Eagles have one of the best playmakers in Westbrook (if healthy) and two explosive WR and good TE, plus McNabb. I would say 3rd or 4th in the division is a fair assesment, that is until we start playing consistant football every year.
Kinda funny how you can quickly point out positives for everyone else, but for the Skins all you can point out is the question marks and you feel the need to downplay any success they've had.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
- Two playoff appearances in the last for years

- How are you so sure the Cowboys QB play will be better, yet ours won't?

- Cowboys "have questions at receiver, but the D should be decent"...you can say the same about us

- "The Giants are the Giants" True, but they probably have the most questions at WR. Still, thy should be a lock to win the division

- "The Eagles have one of the best playmakers in Westbrook (if healthy) and two explosive WR and good TE, plus McNabb. "...But Westbrook doesn't stay healthy, one of their explosive WRs has yet to do a thing in the NFL (Maclin), we have a good TE as well, the Eagles still have to figure out how to use both Vick without upsetting McNabb and if they continue with a 3:1 pass to run ratio I could see them losing some key games

I think after the Giants, the other three teams are all in pretty close contention for 2nd place and a wild card spot. We only finished 1.5 games behind the 2nd place Eagles last year and we've done as much as they have, if not more, to improve our team. So it's not crazy to think we can pass them
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

And I don't see why 10 wins is so unrealistic. Look at the schedule and tell me you can't find 10 wins.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #44
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

I agree. And with the lack of production we got out of our 3 2nd round picks last year, if they step up as it looks like they're going to, that's like adding 3 players this year. Add Mitchell to the list and how is this not an upgrade? Granted they haven't done it in the season yet, but they wouldn't have to do but so much for it to be an upgrade over last year. And Dockery is definitely an upgrade over Kendall with the beef he brings.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I really honestly can not get over the fact that some/most of the Redskin fans here really think we are better than what these guys have said. Look back and we haven't done anything to justify someone calling our names in the playoff picture. We have made the playoffs twice in the last 10 years, and took to miraculous runs at the end of the season to make it.
As Smoot said, if you want to stretch a point you could say 2 in 10, but reality is 2 in 4, with a playoff win. Cowboys haven't done that.

Quote:
Every year we are around 7-9, or 8-8. We have HUGE question marks at QB and receivers, and the O-line. Stop being delusional and look at it realistically for once.
Realistically, our worse case should be 8-8, as we are playing a similar schedule to last year(actually easier) and we did not alter our team for the worst in any area(maybe secondary, but that's to be seen)
Quote:
Realistically Dallas may be over hyped a bit, but their QB play is going to be better, the one two punch with Barber and Jones is pretty damn good. They have questions at receiver, but the D should be decent.
Wow, so a 9-7 team, that has missed the playoffs 2 times in the last 4 years, with NO playoff wins. Has declined each year with WP at coach, lost once to us. Made no visible addition to their roster last year while releasing their most productive receiver. That team is now a lock to be above us in the standings, when if we had won the SF game we would have drafted after them. hmmm
Quote:
The Giants are the Giants. Good running game, QB play, and very good O-Line and excellent D Line, and probably have one of the better D's in the league.
The Giants are the Giants, we have not beaten them in two years. I believe that will change this year, but ok. they get the nod.

Quote:
The Eagles have one of the best playmakers in Westbrook (if healthy) and two explosive WR and good TE, plus McNabb.
Didn't we beat them twice last year, plus lost their DC, their MLB, their "heart" SS. hmmm

Quote:
I would say 3rd or 4th in the division is a fair assesment, that is until we start playing consistant football every year.
I agree we have to play consistent football. And that starts by playing the same system two years in a row. The team should be more comfortable, confident, and if last year we were 8-8, we should at least win one more game this year, which would have put us 3rd. 2 games, and we are 2nd. and if one of those two are against the Giants, we are shooting for first. I think that is realistic.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote