Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Salary Cap Status 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #31
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status 2018

Happy to do it! Beer sounds pretty good on a Friday afternoon.

Advertisements
Old 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #32
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Happy to do it! Beer sounds pretty good on a Friday afternoon.
I'm more of a whiskey guy but It is FRIDAY!!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #33
Schneed10
A Dude

Outstanding breakdown of Alex Smith's new contract is located at this link.

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, they describe it in perfect detail.

Smith's actual cap number in 2018 will be $18.4M, not the $17.0M as assumed previously (the capologists of the world had assumed his KC contract would simply carry over).

The original post is revised.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #34
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Given those numbers and KC's numbers for the 3 years:
AS vs KC
18.4 vs 26
20.4 vs 28
21.4 vs 30

The skins saved about 8M/year at the qb position. That is probably our rookie pool plus a player over the next 3 years. With the CBA expiring after the 2020 season, it's almost impossible to predict how the cap will look like, or even if there will be a cap after the strike/lockout, and renegotiations occur.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #35
Schneed10
A Dude

Original post updated to reflect signing of Orlando Scandrick, who signed for two years, $10M. For now, until I see a breakdown of the contract, I am assuming the cap hit in 2018 will be $4.5M.

Redskins cap space now stands at $14.3M estimated.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
MTK
\m/

John Keim:
Linebacker Zach Brown's contract includes a $4.5 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2018. In 2019, he has a $6.7 million base salary, with $4.5 million guaranteed for injury only. And his third year has a $7.5 million base salary. He has a roster bonus in 2017 up to $250,000; it goes up to 500,000 in each of the last two years. The Redskins could cut him after one year with only a $3 penalty -- that could be spread over two years with a post-June 1 release.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #37
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
John Keim:
Linebacker Zach Brown's contract includes a $4.5 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2018. In 2019, he has a $6.7 million base salary, with $4.5 million guaranteed for injury only. And his third year has a $7.5 million base salary. He has a roster bonus in 2017 up to $250,000; it goes up to 500,000 in each of the last two years. The Redskins could cut him after one year with only a $3 penalty -- that could be spread over two years with a post-June 1 release.
I saw that too. I did the math on it, that adds up to only $21M. It's possible the other $3M is built into incentives somehow, and that's how you get to a total value of $24M as reported.

If that's the case, then Brown's cap hit in 2018 will be $2.75M, not $5.0M as I had estimated.

But I don't wanna mark it down as revised until I understand the structure on the incentives, or whatever else accounts for the rest of the reported $24M total value.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #38
Schneed10
A Dude

Well that’s what it is, the other $3M is incentives- up to $1.0M in incentives each year. They’re considered not likey to be earned, so they don’t hit the cap books yet. OTC shows Brown at 2.7M now. Incredible.

The more I’m seeing, the more I feel like Bruce is feeling pressure to show some results now.

Original post updated again.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Seems like they have enough for Hankins, hate to see them frugally lose out.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #40
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Wow. Rediscovered this thread (for some reason it's kind of hidden on tapatalk...).

Anyway, thanks for this Schneed. This and your posts about the compensatory picks system, I'm learning quite a lot this offseason!

I saw Quick's cap hit is just above 700K.

I really love the fact we still have 13~15M available after Scandricks' deal.
Hope we can land Hankins and still have some cap space to carry over to next year for the guys we'll have to resign.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #41
Schneed10
A Dude

Thank you - yes OTC now recognizes Quick as having a $700K cap hit. His deal was close to veteran minimum. Revised the original post again, we're looking at around $17.0M of cap space currently. Could be a little more or a little less depending on what Scandrick's deal actually looks like.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #42
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Thank you - yes OTC now recognizes Quick as having a $700K cap hit. His deal was close to veteran minimum. Revised the original post again, we're looking at around $17.0M of cap space currently. Could be a little more or a little less depending on what Scandrick's deal actually looks like.
This is really good. Minus the rookie pool that would be 13 to 15M available, that might even be enough for 2 significant signings: Hankins would not demand more than 10M would he? Then we'd still have 3 to 5M left, that we may want to keep for next year ?

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #43
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
This is really good. Minus the rookie pool that would be 13 to 15M available, that might even be enough for 2 significant signings: Hankins would not demand more than 10M would he? Then we'd still have 3 to 5M left, that we may want to keep for next year ?

I would think that $10M per season would get it done, he had a deal worth $9M per season with Indy, and he played up to it. The only reason they released him was the switch they are making from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

A deal worth $10M per season would not necessarily count $10M against our cap in the first year. Zach Brown's deal is worth $7M per season, but he only counts $2.7M this year. It's all in how you structure it.

I think Allen and Shaffer would be wise to get Hankins in house, but structure it so that the cap hit is only about $7M in the first year, and then go ahead and get a guard. Right now we have Roullier at Center and who TF knows at LG, Kouandjio? Not good enough.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #44
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I would think that $10M per season would get it done, he had a deal worth $9M per season with Indy, and he played up to it. The only reason they released him was the switch they are making from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

A deal worth $10M per season would not necessarily count $10M against our cap in the first year. Zach Brown's deal is worth $7M per season, but he only counts $2.7M this year. It's all in how you structure it.

I think Allen and Shaffer would be wise to get Hankins in house, but structure it so that the cap hit is only about $7M in the first year, and then go ahead and get a guard. Right now we have Roullier at Center and who TF knows at LG, Kouandjio? Not good enough.
oh yeah, absolutely right... it's still early but I think we're having a far better off season than most fans think!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #45
Schneed10
A Dude

While OTC has not updated for Orlando Scandrick's deal yet, John Keim did tweet the following:

Quote:
Corner Orlando Scandrick received a $1 million signing bonus from Washington, but there's no other guaranteed money in his two-year contract. He'll count $2.6 million vs. the salary cap in 2018 and $4.25 million in 2019. If he's cut after this season, the Redskins would only have $500,000 in dead money on their cap. Scandrick receivers per-game roster bonuses up to $500,000 this season and up to $1 million next season. The Redskins signed him to compete for the starting job opposite Josh Norman, but knowing he could play in the slot if nothing else.
Quote:
Another key part of corner Orlando Scandrick's deal: play-time incentives and escalator clauses. Based on play time in both seasons, Scandrick can earn up to $1 million. in addition, he also has an escalator clause tied to play time in both years, which could trigger up to $1 million in salary. These triggers make it a good deal for both sides. If Scandrick doesn't stay healthy or play well, then the Redskins won't take a big cap hit if they had to part ways after one season. But if he does play well and is durable, which is what both sides want, then Scandrick would be taken care of with the incentives and escalators.
The original post has been updated using Keim's reported $2.6M on this year's cap. So we're estimating here that the Redskins have $18.9M in cap space currently.

Recommend they pony up for Johnathan Hankins. C'mon Bruce.