Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #31
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Can't rule out a new GM/HC coming in here and going all out to get their guy at QB, whether that's trading up in the draft, free agency, trading for a vet, etc. In fact that scenario is more likely than not, no matter what Sam does the rest of the way.

Sam really has to kill it these last 10 games to make that a tougher decision for the next GM/HC.
This is why I would fire RR and JDR now and make EB interim HC. He seems to like Howell, and to get the permanent job it would be totally in his best interests for Howell to succeed. If both fail, any new coach coming in will be justified in drafting his own QB. Not sure I see a downside, especially as if Howell and EB succeed, it means we get to use our picks to fill 9 holes instead of trading them away in an effort to get into the top 5.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-01-2023, 07:03 PM   #32
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
That first round pick will be a QB, unless the new coaching staff gets one in free agency.

I can't see a scenario where: Howell plays lights out, the team continues to lose, the current coaching staff gets fired, and a new coach is willing to bet on Howell as a starting QB.

Didn’t that scenario just happen? Lol. I mean they haven’t gotten fired yet but Howell played lights out and we continued to lose. Now that Sweat and Young are gone Howell could certainly play lights out and our defense is going to be giving up 40 a game. I think we are literally staring straight down the barrel of that exact scenario.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #33
rocnrik
Playmaker

I’m gonna pull for Sam and hopefully he will be the franchise QB we have been searching for …

Last edited by rocnrik; 11-01-2023 at 07:48 PM.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:56 AM   #34
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

A look back at 2019 draft. With the trade of Sweat only Terry is still on the team.
https://twitter.com/DeclassifiedWft/...ll-on-the-team
Old 11-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
This is why I would fire RR and JDR now and make EB interim HC. He seems to like Howell, and to get the permanent job it would be totally in his best interests for Howell to succeed. If both fail, any new coach coming in will be justified in drafting his own QB. Not sure I see a downside, especially as if Howell and EB succeed, it means we get to use our picks to fill 9 holes instead of trading them away in an effort to get into the top 5.
EB is already in over his head as OC and you want to give him even more control and responsibility?

That would be a hard pass for me.

And if I were EB I wouldn’t want it, he’s set up to fail.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #36
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
EB is already in over his head as OC and you want to give him even more control and responsibility?

That would be a hard pass for me.

And if I were EB I wouldn’t want it, he’s set up to fail.

I don’t think he is in over his head. I think he is stubborn af. We have seen this offense even with this line absolutely light it up. I think if he had the pieces he could be really effective. Look at KC’s offense without him. Not nearly as good.

Im not defending his stubbornness Im just acknowledging that i dont think it is him being over his head.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:08 PM   #37
MTK
\m/

I’m just not convinced EB is a capable OC let alone HC.

I’d let things play out with Ron and wipe the slate clean the day after the season ends.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:11 PM   #38
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Probably exactly what will happen…
Old 11-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #39
HTTR
Special Teams

Quote:
I’m just not convinced EB is a capable OC let alone HC.

I’d let things play out with Ron and wipe the slate clean the day after the season ends.

Handling the EB situation is the trickiest thing Harris to do over the next year. (If that isn’t clear, then you haven’t been following the media yammering about his interview history or his arrest record.) That’s one reason Ron can’t be fired now, cause it just forces the EB issue before anyone’s ready to open that worm can. Much cleaner, as Matty says, to sweep out GM, HC, and coordinators and their minions and let the new regime hire back anyone of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2023, 07:12 PM   #40
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I don’t think he is in over his head. I think he is stubborn af. We have seen this offense even with this line absolutely light it up. I think if he had the pieces he could be really effective. Look at KC’s offense without him. Not nearly as good.

Im not defending his stubbornness Im just acknowledging that i dont think it is him being over his head.
I think EB has shown flashes of being a good playcaller - obviously Sam Howell is putting up numbers (in flashes) better than we ever saw from Heinicke or any of the other dozen qb's in the last 5 years.

EB still has to grow too though - he needs to learn the importance of the running game, balance, using the run to setup play action, etc. which might take some time.

I'm on board with canning Ron and JDR after the season and letting a new guy pick whether to retain EB or not - I can certainly make the argument it would help Howell stay next year if they retained EB as the playcaller. Bringing in a new playcaller either stunts Howell's development or means bringing in a new qb and starting over which I don't want to do, at least on offense. I want them to shore up the weaknesses (offensive line #1) and focus on the defense after that.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:15 PM   #41
HTTR
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think EB has shown flashes of being a good playcaller - obviously Sam Howell is putting up numbers (in flashes) better than we ever saw from Heinicke or any of the other dozen qb's in the last 5 years.

EB still has to grow too though - he needs to learn the importance of the running game, balance, using the run to setup play action, etc. which might take some time.

I'm on board with canning Ron and JDR after the season and letting a new guy pick whether to retain EB or not - I can certainly make the argument it would help Howell stay next year if they retained EB as the playcaller. Bringing in a new playcaller either stunts Howell's development or means bringing in a new qb and starting over which I don't want to do, at least on offense. I want them to shore up the weaknesses (offensive line #1) and focus on the defense after that.

Speak, pastor Mooby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2023, 09:22 PM   #42
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

Yes….preach. Nobody has even mentioned how a new offense would stunt Sams growth. He is actively trying to get rid of the ball as of very recently…certainly aware of it and a revamped oline will obviously help.

Totally agree with everything you said. A little patience and a lot of help, HC, DC, oline, lb’s, corner.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:07 AM   #43
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Anybody watch USC Washington on Sat? What's the deal w/ Williams? This guy paints his fingernails and ran into the stands and cried in his mommies arms. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

I would take Penix over Williams. There is just something off about Williams. He fumbles too much. Makes a lot of great plays but I don't think he is mentally tough enough for the NFL.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:33 AM   #44
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Howell is a QB who has played in different types of offenses and has done well. I think EB is getting too much credit for Howell’s success. If you got it, you got it and Howell does.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Anybody watch USC Washington on Sat? What's the deal w/ Williams? This guy paints his fingernails and ran into the stands and cried in his mommies arms. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

I would take Penix over Williams. There is just something off about Williams. He fumbles too much. Makes a lot of great plays but I don't think he is mentally tough enough for the NFL.
I think people need to ease up. He's a kid who just lost a tough game and was emotionally spent. Some out there calling him undraftable, give me a break.