Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

Parking Lot

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
metalskins
The Starter

Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

Don't know how many of you guys are rock and roll fans, but I'm psyched that there is finally a good, young, band that is attempting to bring back good, classic rock back to the mainstream. The band is Greta Van Fleet and this is their hit song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

They have a Led Zeppelin vibe to them, which is fine by me. I'm a guy in my early 40's, but I still like to rock. I have to admit, I miss the days of being able to listen to top 40 and hear some rock music on these stations. When I was a teenager, I would listen to the radio nonstop. I know terrestrial radio is kind of an after thought for a lot of people in this day and age, but even still, it seems to be the litmus test for seeing how popular a musical artist is going to be. This band is getting radio airplay as well - which is fantastic. To have them bring back classic rock to top 40 would be awesome! And here I was, thinking that I had finally reached the age where I could no longer relate to new music, because it was no longer music that I listen to. I don't think I can ever grow too old to appreciate good rock music, and this is some of the best classic rock music (new music) that I have heard in a very long time!

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

https://www.jroddywalstonandthebusiness.com/

here is another band that is a throwback, J Roddy and the Business from Richmond. They have some ties to My Morning Jacket and have that Zeppelin/Stones vibe.

You need to listen to their album Essential Tremors, one of the best rock albums in the last 10 years.

Also, if they come around...one of the best live shows in the country.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Led Zep vibe is putting it lightly, there are LZ cover bands that wish they sounded like that
Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

here is another band that is a throwback, J Roddy and the Business from Richmond. They have some ties to My Morning Jacket and have that Zeppelin/Stones vibe.

You need to listen to their album Essential Tremors, one of the best rock albums in the last 10 years.

They are excellent. Really excited for what this band does in the years to come.

However I don't pick up the Zep or Stones vibe - there's a much more melodic feel and a much more poppy approach on the guitars.

You would never catch Jagger or Plant harmonizing in a chorus. But I love it. I always hated the Stones. Zeppelin was good.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
jamf
Pro Bowl

I just saw the last half of their set at Coachella!
The lead singer was a bit over the top Robert Plant-ish but the music was pretty good.

You are right, there isn't a lot of rock in the top 40.
I blame the radio bias(Fuck Clear Channel) towards big record label artists.
I would rather hear local rock bands than another god damn Rihanna(but i sure do like looking at her!)

It seems like Jack White and a bunch of other artists have a rock and roll movement going on in Nashville right now.
He also has an album coming out but I haven't had time to get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Don't know how many of you guys are rock and roll fans, but I'm psyched that there is finally a good, young, band that is attempting to bring back good, classic rock back to the mainstream. The band is Greta Van Fleet and this is their hit song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

They have a Led Zeppelin vibe to them, which is fine by me. I'm a guy in my early 40's, but I still like to rock. I have to admit, I miss the days of being able to listen to top 40 and hear some rock music on these stations. When I was a teenager, I would listen to the radio nonstop. I know terrestrial radio is kind of an after thought for a lot of people in this day and age, but even still, it seems to be the litmus test for seeing how popular a musical artist is going to be. This band is getting radio airplay as well - which is fantastic. To have them bring back classic rock to top 40 would be awesome! And here I was, thinking that I had finally reached the age where I could no longer relate to new music, because it was no longer music that I listen to. I don't think I can ever grow too old to appreciate good rock music, and this is some of the best classic rock music (new music) that I have heard in a very long time!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I gotta check them out!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:

I've got them saved on my Spotify. I'm going to check them out!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
They are excellent. Really excited for what this band does in the years to come.

However I don't pick up the Zep or Stones vibe - there's a much more melodic feel and a much more poppy approach on the guitars.

You would never catch Jagger or Plant harmonizing in a chorus. But I love it. I always hated the Stones. Zeppelin was good.
Also you never catch Jagger or Plant banging out keys while rocking and singing...that dude pulls it off masterfully.

yeah, they def have more range musically than just classic rock sound...there early stuff is more straight classic rock-ish. Ive seen them close a show with a slammin Zep Dancin Days cover.

When it comes to the Stones...go back and listen to the albums featuring Mick Taylor as the guitarist...Let it bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street....his presence changed that band for the better. Outstanding albums of blues infused rock. Mick Taylor quit after Exile and the band really got uninteresting...again.

I was never a big fan of the Stones, but after hearing those albums it changed my mind...Sticky Fingers is hands down an all time classic. Exile on Main St is maybe the most underrated album of all time...the acoustic songs in the middle of the album are the highlights...Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed, and Sweet Black Angel...

Ive really come around on the Stones, but when I was younger I thought they were just meh.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I just saw the last half of their set at Coachella!
The lead singer was a bit over the top Robert Plant-ish but the music was pretty good.

You are right, there isn't a lot of rock in the top 40.
I blame the radio bias(Fuck Clear Channel) towards big record label artists.
I would rather hear local rock bands than another god damn Rihanna(but i sure do like looking at her!)

It seems like Jack White and a bunch of other artists have a rock and roll movement going on in Nashville right now.
He also has an album coming out but I haven't had time to get into it.

I think with time, the kid will find his own voice, but I think he'll always have that Robert Plant thing. Just like Steve Perry from Journey had the Sam Cooke vibe going on in his vocals. This band is between the ages of 18-22. If they keep going, imagine what they will sound like by the time they are in their 30's? I love it! I still have bands that are my all-time favs that I will always go back to. But, I love the idea of some young bucks wanting to create brand new music with an old style that I can get into. I'm only in my 40's. I don't feel I'm too old to go to music festivals and have a good time. Bands like this are perfect for music festivals. In fact, they are attending a big festival that's not too far from me. Only problem is, the same weekend as the beerfest I attend every year. LOL! Priorities ya know! LOL!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
metalskins
The Starter

I was never a big Stones fan either. Much more a fan of Zeppelin, but honestly, by the time I started getting into music, we were well within the 1980's and I was more into the AOR type of music and then heavy metal. The synthesizers, keyboards, crunching guitars, big hair, lol! But, always a sucker for a good guitar solo. A song could be just kind of meh, but if it had a tremendous guitar solo, it seemed to make the song great!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Led Zep vibe is putting it lightly, there are LZ cover bands that wish they sounded like that
+1 ,I was thinking for a min it was a dub over.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Did somebody say guitar solo? And metal?

Straight to the guitar solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgGTTtR0kc&t=5m46s
Old 04-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I was never a big Stones fan either. Much more a fan of Zeppelin, but honestly, by the time I started getting into music, we were well within the 1980's and I was more into the AOR type of music and then heavy metal. The synthesizers, keyboards, crunching guitars, big hair, lol! But, always a sucker for a good guitar solo. A song could be just kind of meh, but if it had a tremendous guitar solo, it seemed to make the song great!

Being the old shit I am ,I pick and chose. A Stones fan early in their careers but not much after 1980 ,same with LZ like the early stuff. To me "old time R&R that is a consistent producer of things over time is the Who put there so much good stuff from when I was growing up in the late 60's,70's and yes I believe Springsteen, Bob Seeger ,Billy Joel and Tom Petty(RIP) has carried it on as well as some others.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Did somebody say guitar solo? And metal?

Straight to the guitar solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgGTTtR0kc&t=5m46s
Yes!!! These are the guitar solos I'm looking for!