Willis picks Seahawks over SKINS

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #31
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Willis picks Seahawks over SKINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Southern California … The Bears gave the Trojans all they could handle before USC escaped with a 24-17 victory … Mack delivered two touchdown-resulting blocks among his seven knockdowns, keeping All-American nose guard Sedrick Ellis out of the backfield all game … Ellis was upended by the Cal center on a 17-yard scoring burst up the middle by tailback Justin Forsett in the first quarter … Late in the third stanza, he bounced off a block on Ellis to flatten linebacker Brian Cushing on a 20-yard touchdown pass from QB Nate Longshore to Lavell Hawkins … Head to Head Competition-NG#49-Sedrick Ellis (6:02-305)-Five tackles (2 solos) … Offensive Impact-Mack recorded seven knockdowns and two touchdown-resulting blocks, grading 87 percent … Helped the team gain 200 yards with one touchdown on 45 carries (4.44 ypc) and generate 399 total yards on 74 snaps (5.39 yards per play).

Alex Mack, California, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football
Rabach is 31 and declining. A player like Mack does'nt come around very often. He would make this line so much better. He could easily anchor this line for 10 years. We're not gonna get Jason Smith. We're not gonna get Eugene Monroe and every other elite tackle has questions about him. He would improve our line better than guard Duke Robinson. If we're looking for a solid lineman who is going to help this team for a very long time and has no "issues". If we're looking for someone who will actually help us win ballgames for many, many years and not just a big name that sounds really cool that we got him.....Mack is the man. He is an outstanding football player and a hard worker. He has put Ellis and Cushing on their ass and there is no doubt in my mind that he will continue to be outstanding in the NFL. Even if we have to play Heyer at RT this year, we'd be crazy to pass on a player of this calber. We will not get another chance to get a center like this, how long do we wait to get Rabach's replacement? A year too late as usual? If the idea is to make every position on your team the best it can be.....you won't find better than Alex Mack. Not this year or next year or the year after. He is the best center prospect to come out of college in YEARS. If you really want to make your line elite, you take elite players. Mack is the man.

Last edited by 53Fan; 03-07-2009 at 12:59 AM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #32
cobracai1
Camp Scrub

I think Smoot mentioned it but the Raiders didn't pick up Barnes. I honestly think that we should turn our attention to him as either depth or a potential starter on the right side in case one of the big 4 dont drop to us at 13. I'm starting to get worried we're going into the season with Jansen, Heyer, and Clark as our potential right tackles. That is scary to me
cobracai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #33
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobracai1 View Post
I think Smoot mentioned it but the Raiders didn't pick up Barnes. I honestly think that we should turn our attention to him as either depth or a potential starter on the right side in case one of the big 4 dont drop to us at 13. I'm starting to get worried we're going into the season with Jansen, Heyer, and Clark as our potential right tackles. That is scary to me
I just read this article from the SF Chronicle regarding Barnes and his unlikelihood of signing with the Raiders. The article mentions Barnes wanting to be a left tackle or at least get left tackle money. My question is...are people willing to give Barnes LT money to play RT?

SFGate: Raiders Silver and Black Blog : Door all but closed on Barnes
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #34
gw0103
Camp Scrub

this guy Mack is the real deal.. a tough, hard nosed guy that is versatile
with the lateral speed to get up and down the o-line. he generates a good
push at the point of attack that our running game needs to get the important
yards. he has good extension to hold up in pass protection, and with a
little of coach Bugle's influence will eclipse Rabach quick..( while a good leader,
Rabach doesn't really have the push strength Our team needs.) this guy, with
Dockery, Samuels, and hopefully a matured Heyer, could easily beat up the
D-lines in the conference and beyond and open gaps for the running game.
gw0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #35
MiraclesHappen07
Special Teams

As much as i would like to draft Mack, or any of these "Elite" Lineman, but who's saying that these guys will actually be studs? I mean sure they were the best in college, but thats college, this is NFL. There have been many times where this person or this one was stated as the "Elite" of this or that, and many of them turn out to be bust. BUT dont get me wrong a lot of them do live up to there title and do become elite, or atleast good. So im divide on what we should do. We have a poorus RT situation which needs a solution, but as someone mentioned before, last year we didnt have the up the middle push for the DEs to get to the Qb, now we have the push up the middle but other than Carter, nothing at DE. Sooooooo....
Redskins pick 13?.....I have no clue

"Football can like a box of chocolates, nevers know what your gona get any given sunday"-From zach williams, revised verison from Forest Gump
MiraclesHappen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #36
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclesHappen07 View Post
As much as i would like to draft Mack, or any of these "Elite" Lineman, but who's saying that these guys will actually be studs? I mean sure they were the best in college, but thats college, this is NFL. There have been many times where this person or this one was stated as the "Elite" of this or that, and many of them turn out to be bust. BUT dont get me wrong a lot of them do live up to there title and do become elite, or atleast good. So im divide on what we should do. We have a poorus RT situation which needs a solution, but as someone mentioned before, last year we didnt have the up the middle push for the DEs to get to the Qb, now we have the push up the middle but other than Carter, nothing at DE. Sooooooo....
Redskins pick 13?.....I have no clue
I think the offensive linemen that have been drafted at the top of the 1st round for the past couple of years have fared pretty well (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, the guy Miami picked up last year...can't remember his name). So I think it'd be a smart investment for the team to pick up a tackle or guard (preferably a tackle) at #13.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #37
GTripp0012
Living Legend

With two needs (impact defensive player [DE or OLB or hybrid DE/OLB], offensive lineman who can play on the right side as a rookie), that Jason Taylor trade is looking really harmless now, ain't it?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #38
MiraclesHappen07
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think the offensive linemen that have been drafted at the top of the 1st round for the past couple of years have fared pretty well (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, the guy Miami picked up last year...can't remember his name). So I think it'd be a smart investment for the team to pick up a tackle or guard (preferably a tackle) at #13.
Yeah i know, and i would prefer that they do. But im just saying what for some reason that dosent happen, for some reason who we draft at 13 just does not turn out how we all hope? Meh, maybe im just being paranoid lol Im just ready for training camp to get here!

"Football can like a box of chocolates, nevers know what your gona get any given sunday"-From zach williams, revised verison from Forest Gump
Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #39
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
With two needs (impact defensive player [DE or OLB or hybrid DE/OLB], offensive lineman who can play on the right side as a rookie), that Jason Taylor trade is looking really harmless now, ain't it?
I'm probably just tired but I don't get your meaning...
Old 03-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #40
GTripp0012
Living Legend

As far as free agent lineman go who aren't old, Elton Brown is pretty much the only guy left on the market. Duke Preston (Center, Buffalo) is only 27, but he's been a bust to this point in his career.

After that, there's 27 year old Kwame Harris and 27 year old Rob Pettiti, but those guys are awful.

After that it's all old guys. Still, better to have a bunch of old guys who can play than a bunch of old guys backed up by late round draft picks who cannot.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #41
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclesHappen07 View Post
Yeah i know, and i would prefer that they do. But im just saying what for some reason that dosent happen, for some reason who we draft at 13 just does not turn out how we all hope? Meh, maybe im just being paranoid lol Im just ready for training camp to get here!
Well that's where luck comes in....I mean the team has had a bit of luck (Chris Horton anyone?) but I think the track record of o-linemen taking in the first round has been ok lately.

And yeah I can't wait until training camp begins, I need something to follow.... I'm not into baseball, the Terps are sucking it up in basketball, and the only thing that's coming up is the NCAA Tourney.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #42
MiraclesHappen07
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I think he was trying to be sarcastic, lol

Old 03-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #43
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
If we had the second round pick, we could conceivably fill those needs. Now, we are pretty much stuck having to choose between them.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #44
MiraclesHappen07
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well that's where luck comes in....I mean the team has had a bit of luck (Chris Horton anyone?) but I think the track record of o-linemen taking in the first round has been ok lately.

And yeah I can't wait until training camp begins, I need something to follow.... I'm not into baseball, the Terps are sucking it up in basketball, and the only thing that's coming up is the NCAA Tourney.
Yeap, me ethier, plus my hokies arent living up to my execptations in basketball ethier! *shurgs*

Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #45
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
As far as free agent lineman go who aren't old, Elton Brown is pretty much the only guy left on the market. Duke Preston (Center, Buffalo) is only 27, but he's been a bust to this point in his career.

After that, there's 27 year old Kwame Harris and 27 year old Rob Pettiti, but those guys are awful.

After that it's all old guys. Still, better to have a bunch of old guys who can play than a bunch of old guys backed up by late round draft picks who cannot.
Can't we hope a few gems will still get cut after the draft? I mean it seems like that's what the FO must be hoping to some degree cuz we haven't moved much in FA to shore up needs.