Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Willis picks Seahawks over SKINS

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #46
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Willis picks Seahawks over SKINS

Does anyone here think that former safety Roy Williams would make a good pressure-LB?

I'm just looking for any possible way we could add talent to our defense without using our first round pick. Damn you Jason Taylor.

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #47
MiraclesHappen07
Special Teams

lol who knows? maybe it could happen, im sure he would like to take a crack at the cowgirsl for two games every year

"Football can like a box of chocolates, nevers know what your gona get any given sunday"-From zach williams, revised verison from Forest Gump
MiraclesHappen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #48
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Does anyone here think that former safety Roy Williams would make a good pressure-LB?

I'm just looking for any possible way we could add talent to our defense without using our first round pick. Damn you Jason Taylor.
What about Derrick Brooks? Is he that old? I mean if Darth Hoody can get Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrable, and Junior Seau to play well, why can't we?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #49
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I would look at Cato June (still available right?) before Brooks. On the other hand i'm hankering for a real killer type, the whole package, for our new LB. I don't think one exists in FA though.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #50
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I would look at Cato June (still available right?) before Brooks. On the other hand i'm hankering for a real killer type, the whole package, for our new LB. I don't think one exists in FA though.
Well I guess it depends on their price. I had also thought about Cato June too. Maybe we can address the LB position with a veteran for now if we get the chance to address the offensive line with the #13.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #51
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Why not... he's about the size of the few decent LB prospects left out there but this guy really likes to lay the wood. Only thing is I doubt he'd come cheap.

Edit: I don't think we can seriously upgrade the d outside of the draft GT, do you? We can help ensure the huge investments we've made won't be wasted in shoring up LDE and OLB w/ serviceable guys. Daniels/Wynn in rotation is a year's fix. Neither guy can hold the spot for a whole game/season but rotating consistently it could actually work. I think LB is the real tuffy. Take a chance on a smaller guy like June, Williams? Maybe it works. The draft lets us choose from guys who will fair better in the the mean NFC East smash-mouth running game. Shit, all the USC backers hit the scale at 240 or above and at least one of those guys will fall to 20.

Last edited by The Goat; 03-07-2009 at 02:25 AM.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #52
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:

Really. I didn't like the deal when we got him and now that we need him he's gone.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #53
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Can't we hope a few gems will still get cut after the draft? I mean it seems like that's what the FO must be hoping to some degree cuz we haven't moved much in FA to shore up needs.
I doubt anyone is close enough to the cap where they would have to make a cut of a player with significant talent in order to sign their draft picks.

Basically, any player who hits the market between now and the season is hitting only because their former employer doesn't think they can play.

So we either fill our needs by getting creative (which is what I suggested Williams for, not that I have the slightest clue if he can bull rush an NFL Guard), or we keep the thirteenth pick, and either address the offense or the defense, and leave the other with less depth than we need.

The other option is 1) hope that we can package our 1st and 3rd picks for two seconds, and 2) nail two impact players at positions of need in the second round.

I just don't see any other way that we would have the complete roster that I hoped for.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #54
The Goat
Pro Bowl

GT do i hear you saying the trade back scenario where we get detroit's 1st and 2nd round picks is totally improbable? What if we sweetened the deal packaging our 1st and last or 1st and 5th round pick?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #55
53Fan
Franchise Player

I think we could get 2 impact players in the second but the problem would be finding someone with 2 picks in the second who would want to deal.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #56
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Really. I didn't like the deal when we got him and now that we need him he's gone.
Yeah, we kind of screwed ourselves.

First, there was no good reason for making that deal. We thought we could add an impact player for the price of a second round pick...well an impact player is what you make of it. Blache didn't use Jason Taylor as a unit of talent, he went plug and play.

Which is fine, but don't spend a second round pick if your coordinator is looking for freely available talent.

Now, oddly enough, the Redskins are looking for a unit of talent on the defense. Right now, Andre Carter is your sack threat. If Andre gets hurt...well, then we are right back where we were last year with blitzing every play with players who aren't suited to do that.

Jason Taylor as a LB/backup RE would have filled that need. Instead, we have 8.5 million to spend to go replace him, and no where to spend the money.

So basically, the best available option to fill our lone defensive need is through the draft. But with Willis signing back in Seattle, that draft pick seems needed on offense as well.

Oh well, maybe somebody makes a terrible trade with us to move up and grab a terrible player like Mark Sanchez. There are front offices that are stupid enough to do that, right?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #57
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
GT do i hear you saying the trade back scenario where we get detroit's 1st and 2nd round picks is totally improbable? What if we sweetened the deal packaging our 1st and last or 1st and 5th round pick?
Why in the world would Detroit want our 13th pick? I could see them taking Curry at One and then jumping to try to get one of the big four at 13...but if, say, Andre Smith is there, aren't we just going to take him?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 AM   #58
53Fan
Franchise Player

Yes there are. Of course with Millen out in Detroit it does narrow the list.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #59
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
What about Derrick Brooks? Is he that old? I mean if Darth Hoody can get Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrable, and Junior Seau to play well, why can't we?
Problem is, none of those guys were playing well. They were part of a below average defense where if they all did their jobs, they could shut down weak offenses.

And all of those players are younger than Brooks. Except Seau. Brooks, from what I've read, really, really had a rough season last year at age 35.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #60
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Why in the world would Detroit want our 13th pick? I could see them taking Curry at One and then jumping to try to get one of the big four at 13...but if, say, Andre Smith is there, aren't we just going to take him?
Yeah I see you're point. It's damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

Questions for you then... why have we been so hesitant to shore up positions of need? Daniels/Wynn for LDE? Crowell on another short term deal for LB? I mean, if the FO knows we're unlikely to have any more gems fall into our lap why aren't we being proactive now before we continue to see opportunities taken away (like Willis even though I realize he was far from a lock to start at RT)... you get my drift.