Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Gray could also be promoted to interim head coach if Zorn is canned at the bye. He's been closer to being a HC candidate that Blache ever has.
Was just about to say the exact same thing. Though I think Blache was very close to being named 49ers coach a few years back and then I think they shocked everyone and hired Dennis Erickson. But yeah I could absolutely see Gray being the head coach (interim head coach)

Quote:
As to the 'we can't fire Zorn mid-season and hope to get a respectable HC' logic, it's bs. One of the big boys (Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher) will come because Snyder won't big time them like he did with small potatoes Fassel, Mariucci, Zorn or one of the other first time head coach candidates he interviewed. If one of the big fish said, I'll come but it has to be my way, Snyder will acquiesce. He's done it twice already (Schotty, Gibbs) and would do it again for the right guy. I don't think he will go to the length he did previously with Schottenheimer and give one man complete and ultimate power, but Shanahan and Holmgren may not want that, rather they'd want to name their own GM/Personnel Director which Snyder will agree to.
Talked to some people close to the NFL at lunch today, they still believe Shanahan is the guy. Gruden might be an option in Dallas
Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Talked to some people close to the NFL at lunch today, they still believe Shanahan is the guy. Gruden might be an option in Dallas
He just makes too much sense for it to not happen with Shanahan. I can see him co-existing with Snyder (perhaps even teaching him some things from his experiences with Bowlen) than him co-existing with Jerrah down in Dallas.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Was just about to say the exact same thing. Though I think Blache was very close to being named 49ers coach a few years back and then I think they shocked everyone and hired Dennis Erickson. But yeah I could absolutely see Gray being the head coach (interim head coach)

Smootsmack - when they said Shanahan was the guy did they mention anything about the current Front Office setup? Would Vinny still be part of the organization? Would Shanhan only come if he gets to bring his Front Office people including a new GM and would Synder get out of all things except signing the paychecks and marketing?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Smootsmack - when they said Shanahan was the guy did they mention anything about the current Front Office setup? Would Vinny still be part of the organization? Would Shanhan only come if he gets to bring his Front Office people including a new GM and would Synder get out of all things except signing the paychecks and marketing?
I didn't really ask specifics. Next time I will
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm guessing it's only what these people believe will happen. I can't see there being a lot of insider knowledge right now, but who knows?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Front Office would reportedly alter a bit, but it wouldn't involve Vinny not being here.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Gray could also be promoted to interim head coach if Zorn is canned at the bye. He's been closer to being a HC candidate that Blache ever has.

As to the 'we can't fire Zorn mid-season and hope to get a respectable HC' logic, it's bs. One of the big boys (Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher) will come because Snyder won't big time them like he did with small potatoes Fassel, Mariucci, Zorn or one of the other first time head coach candidates he interviewed. If one of the big fish said, I'll come but it has to be my way, Snyder will acquiesce. He's done it twice already (Schotty, Gibbs) and would do it again for the right guy. I don't think he will go to the length he did previously with Schottenheimer and give one man complete and ultimate power, but Shanahan and Holmgren may not want that, rather they'd want to name their own GM/Personnel Director which Snyder will agree to.
That would certainly be ideal; however both times Snyder gave a big fish what he wanted, it didnt really work out. Shottenheimer was fired after one season and Gibbs, by all appearances, had no problems with Snyder meddling. I don't think Snyder has done enough to prove to a big fish that he's changed and won't: A) Meddle or B) Fire them for refusing to let him meddle. At the end of the day, Snyder's still the owner, and there's always the possiblity he'll change his mind, no matter what he tells them when they sign the contract.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Honestly, I like Blache's personality and really enjoyed listening to him talk on Thursdays, so i'm hoping its option 4. Like, GMScud, i previously was hoping Grey would take over from Blache at some point, but i'm not so sure any more.

All I know is that whoever is responsible for our defensive backs giving 15+ yard cushions on every play needs to be demoted or fired.

As to option 3, its a worst-case scenario for me. As sick as I am of Zorn and as much as I want him out ASAP, the logical part of my brain knows our chances of attracting someone other than Gruden or Fassel after the seasons over deteriorate dramatically if Zorn's fired mid-season. I mean, why on Earth would a respectable HC come here if we fired our previous coach after somewhere between 19 and 22 games? IMO, the only way Snyder can convince Cowher (HC) and Shottenheimer (GM) (my #1 choice to replace Zorn/Cerrato) is to convince them that he's really changed. Firing Zorn midseason certainly wouldnt accomplish that goal. Remember, the only reason Zorn got the job was because no one else (other than Fassel) wanted it.
It's all apart of the grand scheme of things....like your favorite fast food resturaunt watering down the syrupy soda to make it last longer.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
freddyg12
Playmaker

Maybe this is just blache getting his way, he's always said he didn't want to tallk to the press. But the timing is funny, a day after sherman lewis comes in. Obviously, we've noticed it here & speculated some reasons, I'm sure the media will follow up likewise.

It puts Gray in a bad position, he'll have to answer a lot of questions about blache & sherm lewis.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I would be ok, very ok, with Blache falling on the sword and retiring, but I think the episode with Matich early on just showed that he wasn't really in the mindset this year to deal with the media.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would be ok, very ok, with Blache falling on the sword and retiring, but I think the episode with Matich early on just showed that he wasn't really in the mindset this year to deal with the media.
Effing Matich needs to watch where he's going in the damn parking lot. Nearly wrecked my car.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Why would he retire after a game where the defense finally got back on track?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I dont mind blatche and I really don't like this. Blatche just leaving isn't going to solve a ton of things IMO.

I am also not sure Blatche would just tell the Skins he doesnt wnat to talk to the media. The dude has pride, and even though he hates talking the media, I am sure he wouldn't just run away from it.

This and the Sherm thing. Man I am not too excited about either move.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Actually I wouldnt mind the Sherm thing if actually are gonna hire MH this season or next.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The more this circus goes on, the more I wish Snyder would just sell the team and just blow it all up and start all over again. It realy ashame whats happened to this franchise since he has taken over. For all the idoits who say "dont blame Snyder" he is the constant common dominator over this pathetic last 10 years.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote