Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Go Buffalo

That's right--I said it.

Go Buffalo
Aug. 8, 2008

All right, about the PETA thing ...

From what I’ve seen, Redskins Nation by and large seems pretty darn pleased with what happened Sunday night against the Colts. Not me. Like I said, I’ve been sacrificing live chickens. *

The one thing I did not expect the Redskins to do Sunday night against the Colts was look good. I had hoped, at best, they’d not look like every reasonable fiber of my being thought they should: raw.

Seriously, do the math.

The rookie Head Coach, Jim Zorn, debuting on national television as a head coach at any level, and calling plays to boot, breezes through the game sans delay penalties, sans communication issues, sans visible deer-in-the-headlights or “oh shit” moments. Instead, units shuttle on and off the field crisply, people are where they’re supposed be, clock management is seamless … and the team wins, deservedly. All in all, the new coach looked every bit as comfortable and in command as the future Hall of Fame coach standing across the field.

This has me worried.

Add to that how the new-car-smell Washington offense kept the Indianapolis defense on its heels and guessing (mostly wrong) all night. What’s up with that? The Rookie Head Coach was just a few weeks into installing an entirely new offense. Reason dictated there would be gaffes—major ones.

You know … time-outs burned as play clocks wound down … quarterbacks turning left, handing off to running backs who have gone right … receivers reading Go routes just as quarterbacks release Outs (to the merriment of defensive backs running pick-sixes back the other way) … offensive guards expecting the carnivorous linebacker sailing past their ear to be picked up by the tight end, who, instead, is studiously drifting into the secondary looking for the seam … and like that.

But no. Instead … 19 for 22 passing for 216 yards. 3 TD’s. No picks.

156 yards rushing.

66% (2 for 3) red zone efficiency.

Overall, crisp and, dare we say it, professional looking.

19 for 22? The young starter, Jason Campbell—fresh off injury and hip deep into learning his 57th offensive system in 8 years—went 5 for 5 and a highlight-reel score. And the only reason he didn’t lead the team to scores on both his drives was the aging right tackle (bless his heart—more on that later) who got smoked by a backup DE and forced the young starting QB to eat the ball, effectively ending the second and final drive of said starter’s evening.

Better not have any passes hit the ground Saturday, Jason. They’ll think you’re slipping.

And let’s not even get started on Colt Brennan. Seriously, there’s been enough written about that fella this week already. Still … 9-of-10 for 123 yards and two scores? In his rookie debut? Try and top that this week, rook.

Hey, at least Todd Collins had the good sense to look awful. He seemed unsure, skittish in the pocket, a little soft on that one Out route, and … oh. Went 5 for 6.

I take it no one told these gentlemen about setting bars ...

Click Here to read more.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Re: Om Field: Go Buffalo

Quote:
"Hey, at least Todd Collins had the good sense to look awful. He seemed unsure, skittish in the pocket, a little soft on that one Out route, and … oh. Went 5 for 6."
He looked "skittish" in the pocket? If anything, he stood there way too long. I don't think Collins has the mobility to look skittish.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I don't think Collins has the mobility to look skittish.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

Regardless of the description used can't we agree Collins looked uncomfortable at the least? I think that was the point. Besides, skittish can mean nervous so I think it was appropriate.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

I thought it was a joke... like he is too lethargic to even look nervous. Anyway, i don't think collins is a bad qb or anything... he's been in the same system for a long time. These young guys are quicker at picking things up because they haven't had things instilled in them as long as collins has. He seems like a smart guy and played great for us down the stretch last year so I won't bash him...
Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Dgreen101
Camp Scrub

I myself was also worried about this same situation, thinking that it maybe a year to 2 stretch before the 'Skins got their bearings and was back into the playoff hunt. Hopefully this game against the Colts hasn't raised my hopes just to dash them again, the 'Skins usually seem to do good when it doesn't count.
Dgreen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

nice article.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote