Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Great Win, Just 1 Question Though

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
#56fanatic
The Starter

Great Win, Just 1 Question Though

It was a great win last night. The team faught until the end, and showed alot of heart. It was awestome to see everyone who played on the D side of the ball contributing. My question : Is anyone else concerned with our lack of ability to run the ball? Are we running the right plays for Portis?
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
#56fanatic
The Starter

Re: Great Win, Just 1 Question Thought

I thought our whole defensive team played an outstanding game. We limited there big weapon(westbrook) in check. and Donovan, who usually finds a way to kill us didn't really do much out of the pocket other than a couple of nice escapes. It looked like we were getting some push up the middle with basically our DE playing DT. I am just a bit worried with our inability to run the ball with any consistancy. We have to be able to run the ball better late in games and grind it out. Plus I dont think any of us want to see Brunell back there throwing the ball 35 times a game. He will start to get T'd off on. All in all, a great effort by the Skins, from top to bottom. Bring on the Bucs!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
skin4Life28
Special Teams

I think everyone should be concerned about not being able to run. We have played some really tough run defense's too. Doesn't get any easier this week either.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm extremely concerned with two major facts and a few other ones.
1) The running game -- I don't think we're catering to Portis' strengths. I'd like to see more to the outside, or just something to get him going.
2) Turnovers. Every Punt/Kickoff has me nervous now. Cooley is starting to build a slight reputation, two weeks in a row. Fumbles hurt us, we have a -8 turnover ratio -- that's awful!

Good thing we got that pick at the end of the game or it coulda been rough!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
bopst
Camp Scrub

You just got to keep banging away with Portis & Betts. Wearing down a defense is just as important as a big gain....
WCLM 1450 AM
Richmond, Va.
Live on the net: http://www.wclmradio.com
bopst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Philly did a great job at stuffing the run, throw out last week that was a fluke.

We're still averaging almost 120 yards rushing per game. Still room for improvement obviously, but the running game isn't exactly a huge problem area.

Turnovers would be my main concern right now.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I'm extremely concerned with two major facts and a few other ones.
1) The running game -- I don't think we're catering to Portis' strengths. I'd like to see more to the outside, or just something to get him going.
2) Turnovers. Every Punt/Kickoff has me nervous now. Cooley is starting to build a slight reputation, two weeks in a row. Fumbles hurt us, we have a -8 turnover ratio -- that's awful!

Good thing we got that pick at the end of the game or it coulda been rough!
In responce to the running game, I agree we need to maybe put some more sweeps, draws or cut backs. Portis does not have any room to run up the middle or between the tackles. If we do open up the run a little more with stretch plays, sweeps, those kinds of plays it may open things up for the between the tackle runs. Cooley generally is pretty good at keeping a good hold on the ball. I dont know if anyone would have been able to keep there hand on the ball with the hit that Dawkins put on him. He put his helmit right on the ball, even though Cooley had both arms rapped around it. Special teams, Why is the Hell is James "fair catch every punt" Thrash even returning punts. Yeah he is pretty sure handed, but man there were a couple of punts last night that he could of returned, but he called for the fair catch. If we have Jacobs, or Moss or somebody else that could make things happen for us we should put them back there. Granted you dont want Moss to get hurt, but If we have a team punting deep from their end of the field, we should take advantage of that and have somebody back there that will make our field position that much better. I say we pick and choose our spots with Moss(like Carolina and Steve Smith) and put him back there.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
jbcjr14
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
It was a great win last night. The team faught until the end, and showed alot of heart. It was awestome to see everyone who played on the D side of the ball contributing. My question : Is anyone else concerned with our lack of ability to run the ball? Are we running the right plays for Portis?
I thought we ran the ball well....remember, this is an Eagle defense that shut down the best runner in the game (LT to 9 frickin yards!!!!) two weeks ago. I thought the game plan was good and we won with good solid bend, don't break defense.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
That Guy
Living Legend

portis may be hurt, hence no outside running... he was bashing with dlinemen regularly last night. Either way, I wouldn't have taken him out with how well he was doing in the non-running game.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
portis may be hurt, hence no outside running... he was bashing with dlinemen regularly last night. Either way, I wouldn't have taken him out with how well he was doing in the non-running game.
No doubt Portis was all over the place last night. Blocking down field, picking up blitzes and the tackle on the fumble was absolutely HUGE. Best all around game of the year, I think, for him. I just wish we could see him get some holes and run like we all know he can in the open field.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

I'm concerned that the inside running is not playing to Portis' strength. We need to toss him the ball more often and make him run sweeps...that's when he can be as lethal as he was in Denver. We ran one yesterday, and Portis picked up almost 9, if I remember.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
irish
Playmaker

At this point I dont think CP is worth the money he is being paid. He just cant seem to hit the holes and explode through them for big gains. He's a decent back but not great.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
At this point I dont think CP is worth the money he is being paid. He just cant seem to hit the holes and explode through them for big gains. He's a decent back but not great.
I think Betts would give us as much in terms of yardage that Portis is givning us. Betts seems to be able to use his blockers better when running up the middle or between the tackles. Portis just doesn't seem to be comfortable running up the middle or between the tackles. What I think Portis brings to table though, is his toughness, willingness to pick up the blitzes and block down field. I give Portis credit, he is definately a TEAM guy. He has not said anything bad and keeps saying, as long as we are winning I will do what ever I need to do. He in not worried about touches, or yards, TD's or anything. GREAT ATTITUDE!!!! He has bought into what Gibbs and Co. have preached all year, as well as the whole team. To see the defensive guys up cheering the offense and vise versa, its awesome. And did you guys see who was the first person to hug Brunell after the game? Ramsey. With all that he has gone through, and to be able to put all that aside and root for the guy thats playing infront of you speaks volumes of the attitude of this team. I really think we are working on something very solid in DC. Guys willing to do what it takes to win!!! It is AWESOME to see
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #14
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
I think by the time it is all said and done he will be the best back the Skins have ever had. He will get 1200 - 1700 yards for us every year he plays. Add to that how he blocks, hustles and catches- he is something special. He is still looking at close to 1300 yards (after NY). And there is still alot of football to play.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #15
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14
I thought we ran the ball well....remember, this is an Eagle defense that shut down the best runner in the game (LT to 9 frickin yards!!!!) two weeks ago. I thought the game plan was good and we won with good solid bend, don't break defense.
Good point. LT is the best runner in the game.
dblanch66 is offline   Reply With Quote