Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #226
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: Redskins "Name Change" Volume 10000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
No, this is a crusade by the PC crowd, and they will be relentless, even if some Native Americans come forward to defend the name. It is about control basically, control over what you can say under the guise of good intentions.
Bingo. Because it certainly isn't about the facts in this case.

Advertisements
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #227
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Here's what President Obama had to say about the name "Washington Redskins", as reported by the Washington Post:

In an interview with the Associated Press, Obama said that he understood Redskins fans’ attachment to the name. But he also wondered if the attachment should overrule the feelings of Native Americans, who strongly oppose the name.

"If I were the owner of the team and I knew that the name of my team, even if they’ve had a storied history, that was offending a sizable group of people, I’d think about changing it", the president said.

He later said: 'I don’t want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team, and rightly so — even though they’ve been having a pretty tough time this year. But I think — all these mascots and team names related to Native Americans, Native Americans feel pretty strongly about it. And I don’t know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real, legitimate concerns that people have about these things.”
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #228
HailGreen28
Playmaker

if Obama wasn't into politics he'd have a bright career as a journalist. He frames the argument as a sizable group of people instead of a small minority inside said sizable amount of people. and only one side has legitimate concerns. and frankly it looks condescending to me.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #229
SkinDogg
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Does Barack even know that the Native American helmet logo was created upon the request of the late Walter "Blackie" Wetzel who was the chairman of the Blackfeet Nation and president of the National Congress of American Indians? I bet he didn't bother to research it, before basing his opinion. He should focus on fixing the government shutdown.
I'm sure the President didn't know the orgin of the Redskin name and logo. Poll Redskin fans and most wouldn't know Blackie Wetzel from Kemosabe. In the recent controversy, we're probably learning. Probably concerned about RG vs Cousins more than anything else.

And why would the president know Redskin history? He's a Chicago sports fan. He replied with a not-taking-sides answer, "If it's offensive to some people, I'd think about it..." Which Dan Snyder has already done.

Go Redskins! Change the coach, not the name!

Last edited by SkinDogg; 10-06-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #230
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Listening to the Barack soundbite, he sounded more like 'I don't care, I'm just answering your question' than he did of 'YES IT MUST BE CHANGED!' like the media is making it out to be.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #231
SkinDogg
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Listening to the Barack soundbite, he sounded more like 'I don't care, I'm just answering your question' than he did of 'YES IT MUST BE CHANGED!' like the media is making it out to be.
Exactly.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #232
skinsnut
Playmaker

If they eventually change the name...we are all going to make some bucks in 50 years with all our "Redskins" paraphernalia!

Obama should just focus on what he was elected to do.
Run the damn government.

I don't see Dan Snyder telling Obama how to get the Government running again...but it sure would be funny if he did
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #233
HonoluluBlue
Special Teams

Don't change the name, guys.

I'm pretty sure it was offensive at one time, or could be. But this is the English language. Meanings of words can change. If we say "Redskins" enough in the context it will come to mean "Washington's football team" instead of the older, racial connotation. Chief Wahoo is WAAAAY more offensive.

Plus I'd be worried about PETA and my team if this succeeds...

The President was just being a politician, appeasing both sides.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #234
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
If they eventually change the name...we are all going to make some bucks in 50 years with all our "Redskins" paraphernalia!

Obama should just focus on what he was elected to do.
Run the damn government.

I don't see Dan Snyder telling Obama how to get the Government running again...but it sure would be funny if he did
He can't help that he was asked a question about the name. It's not like he has been making a big deal out of the issue.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #235
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
He can't help that he was asked a question about the name. It's not like he has been making a big deal out of the issue.
Yeah, even if he had responded,"I can't answer that question, I'm focused on the gov't right now" I still think it would've been mentioned somewhere, probably with a headline like "President avoids question on Redskins name; his unwillingness to answer question most likely means he supports name change."

Also (one of the rare times I'm going to say this) I agree with GusFrerrote in that since this thing is only gaining steam, albeit slowly, it's only going to gain more steam until the PC crowd eventually wins.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #236
MTK
\m/

Yawn.

This topic continues to be all bark and no bite.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #237
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

The other view you can take is, if Obama doesn't know much about the issue, why doesn't he just decline the question when it was asked?

"Mr. President, how do you feel about the recent Redskins name controversy?"

Obama " you know I'm not going to get into that because its not my place or point of view to talk on that issue, that's something between the NFL and the team"
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #238
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

With all the issues with a government shutdown, unemployment, health insurance, etc... people would rather the president be involved with the Washington Redskins' name? Priorities are really skewed.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #239
Monkeydad
Living Legend

The President, as usual, needs to shut his mouth about things he:

a.) Is completely out of touch with with the American population about
b.) Is trying to influence opinions his direction when he has zero involvement in the issue
c.) Shouldn't even be paying attention to when has bigger issues to deal with.

Seriously, 75% of Americans just polled say the team should keep the name and 90% of Native Americans.

Seriously, Mr. President, how about signing a budget for the first time ever? We know your son who would look like Travon wouldn't be allowed to play football...just stick to things you know about.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #240
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post

You might have a point but he's mentioned our team on his own on numerous occasions. He has a stake in the issue and it's, as usual, against what the public wants.'

Here is is saying a "racist" (as he has told us) word in a speech too. His followers probably gasped and equated him saying Redskins with saying "N!gger". I think even he realizes it's just a team name, but he plays everything politically in terms of race, so to play to his base...he goes along with the chants that we're racists. I believe the real racists are the ones who constantly dissect every word LOOKING for somethings racist when no one else sees or intends it.

Impeach: Obama uses the “R-word” at event with ’72 Dolphins « Hot Air

Last edited by Monkeydad; 10-07-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Closed Thread