NFL says players can wear red, white and blue on 9/11

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #31
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: NFL says players can wear red, white and blue on 9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I agree 100% with you both. It is such a terrible dark day in USA history, that I get upset whenever the news covers it each year and when they write everything about it. It's just one of those things that is so bad that I dont think anybody should put it on TV again and again. It must be hard for the victims of 9/11 to gain any kind of peace when the media and everybody are ramming it down their throats.

I might be in the minority but I think TV and retail stores are still milking 9/11 for any money that they can make off it. It makes me mad to go into a place like Wal-Mart or somewhere like that where they have millions of T-shirts on racks that say "9/11 we'll never forget" and the shirt is made in bangladesh or some other p.o.s. country a million miles away and none of the money even goes to a charity or anything like that for victims of 9/11.

I remember also when Snyder put out the 9/11 Commemorative Redskins Hat that had a little flag on the side of it and it was like 40 bucks or something. I thought it was deplorable that he would try to make a buck off all those lost lives.

I agree with patriotism, believe me, but it has its place. And I dont think on the anniversary of the nation's worst tragedy everybody should be all rah rah rah with the red white and blue. People should wear black, because it is a time of mourning, IMO.
Nail head. Meet Hammer.

110% agree. <-----kinda like those 60/50 odds on the giants/redskins.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #32
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
I agree 100% with you both. It is such a terrible dark day in USA history, that I get upset whenever the news covers it each year and when they write everything about it. It's just one of those things that is so bad that I dont think anybody should put it on TV again and again. It must be hard for the victims of 9/11 to gain any kind of peace when the media and everybody are ramming it down their throats.

I might be in the minority but I think TV and retail stores are still milking 9/11 for any money that they can make off it. It makes me mad to go into a place like Wal-Mart or somewhere like that where they have millions of T-shirts on racks that say "9/11 we'll never forget" and the shirt is made in bangladesh or some other p.o.s. country a million miles away and none of the money even goes to a charity or anything like that for victims of 9/11.

I remember also when Snyder put out the 9/11 Commemorative Redskins Hat that had a little flag on the side of it and it was like 40 bucks or something. I thought it was deplorable that he would try to make a buck off all those lost lives.

I agree with patriotism, believe me, but it has its place. And I dont think on the anniversary of the nation's worst tragedy everybody should be all rah rah rah with the red white and blue. People should wear black, because it is a time of mourning, IMO.
Yup. Very well said.

As to the red, white and blue, my thought is that it should be red, white and blue with a stripe of black - a reminder of the attack on us as a country, as a symbol of the unifying effect it had us as a country and as a remembrance & mourning for those who were targeted & died for no other reason than they were Americans.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #33
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I might be in the minority but I think TV and retail stores are still milking 9/11 for any money that they can make off it
. It makes me mad to go into a place like Wal-Mart or somewhere like that where they have millions of T-shirts on racks that say "9/11 we'll never forget" and the shirt is made in bangladesh or some other p.o.s. country a million miles away and none of the money even goes to a charity or anything like that for victims of 9/11.

I also agree with you on your points. Having to see those attacks again and again are horrific, and whenever we are a month or so away from 9/11 you will see the shows on CNN, AnE, History Channel, Discovery, and so on that chronicle the day from every different perspective. We will never forget, and we don't need a reminder every year. This one is different as it is the 10 year anniversary.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #34
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

Solidsnake, you win at this thread. Great post and I completely agree.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #35
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I also agree with you on your points. Having to see those attacks again and again are horrific, and whenever we are a month or so away from 9/11 you will see the shows on CNN, AnE, History Channel, Discovery, and so on that chronicle the day from every different perspective. We will never forget, and we don't need a reminder every year. This one is different as it is the 10 year anniversary.
It's only 10 years from the event, but in 10 more years, 15 more years, 20 more years etc. I suspect the shows will be as much to educate those who never lived through it, than remind those of us who did
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Really missing the point of this thread.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #37
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Really missing the point of this thread.
True but he's got an excellent side-point that is related to the thread.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #38
MTK
\m/

I don't agree with sweeping the event under the rug like it never happened. This past week I've seen some fascinating programs about 9/11... I say keep them coming.

Unfortunately the commercial aspect comes with the territory. But it's more important that we keep a clear picture in our minds of what happened, and learn as much as we can about that day and those involved so we can remember and honor those that lost their lives that day. If someone wants to buy a t-shirt or hat so they can honor that day, so be it.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #39
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
True but he's got an excellent side-point that is related to the thread.
I wasn't referring to SS, but more the argument going back and forth.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #40
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't agree with sweeping the event under the rug like it never happened. This past week I've seen some fascinating programs about 9/11... I say keep them coming.

Unfortunately the commercial aspect comes with the territory. But it's more important that we keep a clear picture in our minds of what happened, and learn as much as we can about that day and those involved so we can remember and honor those that lost their lives that day. If someone wants to buy a t-shirt or hat so they can honor that day, so be it.
I wouldn't be surprised if all or a percent of sales goes towards 911 victims.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I wasn't referring to SS, but more the argument going back and forth.
Ah okay. I just assumed you were referring to SS since that was where the thread was headed.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

Agree 100%

Pearl Harbor happened in 1941, but we still commemorate it as a day that the unthinkable became thinkable. That will be true for 9/11 as well.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #43
hooskins

Speaking of the commercial aspect, they just had a state farm commercial on fox that madr me a bit teary eyed.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #44
12thMan
MVP

Niles Paul special 911 cleats for today's game.

Lockerz.com : Niles Paul's Photo
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Niles Paul special 911 cleats for today's game.

Lockerz.com : Niles Paul's Photo
nice