Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #46
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Because the skins took out an insurance policy on Smith, if he is never medically cleared to play again, they get a 12M cap credit.

If Smith wants to keep playing, that's his right to do so, but given his age, the severity of the injury, the fact that the skins have already signed his long-term replacement relegating him to being a backup, and the amount of guaranteed money he still has from the deal... it would seem to be in his long-term physical and financial best interests to simply not play football again.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #47
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I think httr stands for hater. Seriously, dude, referring to the man as “garbage” is just wrong. There aren’t two categories of QB - elite and garbage. Smith has had a nice career and had us up two games in the NFCE when hurt. Give the man a little respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just being completely honest. Check down Alex reminds me of Mark Brunell. Just as sorry excuse for a NFL qb. I'm not saying he hasn't had a good career. But he was never going to take this team anywhere. He has a weak ass arm, no accuracy, and overrated mobility. I'm not saying that it's all his fault the offense was crap, because in my opinion Jay Gruden below average play calling help contribute to that. All I'm saying is that Check down Alex is a below average qb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Unfortunately, the cap hits will be enormous

2019 - 42 million
2020 - 32 million
2021 - 10.8 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/
Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Because the skins took out an insurance policy on Smith, if he is never medically cleared to play again, they get a 12M cap credit.

If Smith wants to keep playing, that's his right to do so, but given his age, the severity of the injury, the fact that the skins have already signed his long-term replacement relegating him to being a backup, and the amount of guaranteed money he still has from the deal... it would seem to be in his long-term physical and financial best interests to simply not play football again.
I agree with everything you said. He should never play football again mainly because he's horrible.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #48
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius..
It does not matter if we think Smith is worth the money - Smith and Redskins agreed to the contract and there is no way for Redskins to back out from the contract unless Smith retires. Therefore, we must account the money for Smith until his contract expires or Smith retires.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #49
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm just being completely honest. Check down Alex reminds me of Mark Brunell. Just as sorry excuse for a NFL qb. I'm not saying he hasn't had a good career. But he was never going to take this team anywhere. He has a weak ass arm, no accuracy, and overrated mobility. I'm not saying that it's all his fault the offense was crap, because in my opinion Jay Gruden below average play calling help contribute to that. All I'm saying is that Check down Alex is a below average qb.

Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius.

I agree with everything you said. He should never play football again mainly because he's horrible.
The first two statements in bold are in contradiction. And he's not a below average QB -- what matters most is wins, and by that measure, he's well above average. It's simply not possible to credibly contend otherwise.

On your prediction and IQ, you flatter yourself. I seriously doubt you predicted he'd have a grisly, career-threatening injury that would have these cap implications. If you have those kinds of prognosticatory skills, you shouldn't waste them on football. I suspect your uncle would give you the same advice. Perhaps you might consider following it.

Again, horrible is really not a fair characterization. But by all means, double down on your rant.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #50
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
It does not matter if we think Smith is worth the money - Smith and Redskins agreed to the contract and there is no way for Redskins to back out from the contract unless Smith retires. Therefore, we must account the money for Smith until his contract expires or Smith retires.
I know that! It's damn shame our front office was stupid enough to sign this weak arm, mediocre qb to all that money.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #51
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
I know that! It's damn shame our front office was stupid enough to sign this weak arm, mediocre qb to all that money.
No matter how much you hate him, you are what your record says you are and Alex Smith is a winner and above average. He even managed to win over half his games playing for poorly coached 49er teams that lacked talent. Just look at his year to year stats compared to the rest of the league. He had seasons with double digit wins for two franchises and was on his way to doing it with the Redskins until he was injured. What is the real issue, did Alex steal your girlfriend in High School or something?
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #52
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
No matter how much you hate him, you are what your record says you are and Alex Smith is a winner and above average. He even managed to win over half his games playing for poorly coached 49er teams that lacked talent. Just look at his year to year stats compared to the rest of the league. He had seasons with double digit wins for two franchises and was on his way to doing it with the Redskins until he was injured. What is the real issue, did Alex steal your girlfriend in High School or something?
You being a little dramatic BB. I don't hate the guy. I just see him for the bum that he is. For the record, the 49ers team that he played for was stacked with talent. They were poorly coached but they definitely had great talent on both sides of the ball. He sucked for the first six years of his career. He didn't start winning until Jim Harbaugh came to San Francisco. After a few years he was replaced. He went to play under Andy Reid who is one of the best coaches in NFL history. He was replaced in KC. If he's such a great qb why does he keep getting replaced? You got qbs like Trent Dilfer who won a Superbowl. Does that make him better than Dan Marino or Philip Rivers? He had a winning record because he played on great teams. As a qb he's below average.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
You being a little dramatic BB. I don't hate the guy. I just see him for the bum that he is. For the record, the 49ers team that he played for was stacked with talent. They were poorly coached but they definitely had great talent on both sides of the ball. He sucked for the first six years of his career. He didn't start winning until Jim Harbaugh came to San Francisco. After a few years he was replaced. He went to play under Andy Reid who is one of the best coaches in NFL history. He was replaced in KC. If he's such a great qb why does he keep getting replaced? You got qbs like Trent Dilfer who won a Superbowl. Does that make him better than Dan Marino or Philip Rivers? He had a winning record because he played on great teams. As a qb he's below average.
So were we a great team when he had us at 6-2? I can agree he's not a great qb, but he's a damn step better than average.

Pretty sure we would have had a solid shot at the playoffs if he hadn't gone on IR, but that's purely hypothetical at this point.

He isn't great, but he rarely made bonehead plays or put the defense at a disadvantaged starting position. That alone makes him above other QB's that we've had recently
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #54
Iston
Camp Scrub

Cool Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
He isn't great, but he rarely made bonehead plays or put the defense at a disadvantaged starting position. That alone makes him above other QB's that we've had recently
I think he's great anyway then
Iston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #55
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If Smith wants to push to come back I say good for him and I wish him well. I don’t know why some want to kick dirt on him and say he should move on. That’s his decision to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I started this discussion....despite people saying he will never play again he has aspirations to play again...
Old 07-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #56
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So were we a great team when he had us at 6-2? I can agree he's not a great qb, but he's a damn step better than average.

Pretty sure we would have had a solid shot at the playoffs if he hadn't gone on IR, but that's purely hypothetical at this point.

Our team was playing great defense over the first eight games. Our offense could barely move the ball. To make the argument that we were 6-2 because of check down Alex is blatantly false. That bum was below average throughout the season.

We wasn't going to the playoffs because our defense fell apart. We sucked and you know it.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #57
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Our team was playing great defense over the first eight games. Our offense could barely move the ball. To make the argument that we were 6-2 because of check down Alex is blatantly false. That bum was below average throughout the season.

We wasn't going to the playoffs because our defense fell apart. We sucked and you know it.
Part of the teams great defense was solid competent mistake free qb play. Thats a fact and that was Alex Smith

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #58
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:

The defense was a little over hyped near the beginning of the year because of the record.

The Tampa, Atlanta, and NO games really exposed them.

It's probably more accurate to say they were really good against run first teams who lacked a dynamic passing attack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 07-05-2019 at 09:42 AM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #59
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Part of the teams great defense was solid competent mistake free qb play. Thats a fact and that was Alex Smith

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is not a fact. That is your misguided, delusional opinion. A qbs job is the move the ball and put points on the board. He sucked at doing that. Anyone can avoid throwing intercept if you're not taking any chances.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

I thought the QB's job was to win games, something Smith has done quite a bit of (96-71-1).