Slingin Sammy 33's Rams Game Review

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #31
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: Slingin Sammy 33's Rams Game Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I want give you the biggest complement I can about your reviews SS33: going back three years, when I see these posted on the WP, I read them. Always. Doesn't matter how busy I am. That's as much of a complement as I would ever have wanted to receive myself. Needless to say, you do a great job.
It is very much appreciated and I can honestly say the same of yours too.

Now if Matty would get off his hind-quarters and get us some damn airtime, we'd be in business.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
It's not really an unknown though, because we have preseason performance as well as four prior years of his career to work of off. John Beck is not an unknown commodity at this point.
Cam Cameron thought highly of Beck and was planning on starting him in 2008. He thought enough of him to bring him to the Ravens to compete as a back up to Flacco. MS had Beck rated #1 in the 2007 draft. Beck is a 30 year old rookie with only 4 NFL starts. I believe Beck was pressing in pre-season, and based on his college performance and age (maturity) he has room for improvement and can be expected to protect the ball. At worst, I believe he will perform at the same level as Rex, with better mobility. Beck is still very much an unknown.

Quote:
But an improvement on a guy who may be showing some flaws that are hurting his offense does at least imply that you believe that almost anyone would be better. And then I think we might be arriving at a disagreement on Grossman's value. If you've seen his play as an "anything would be better than this", I wouldn't support that conclusion.
When I call for Crompton, then I'm there....right Lotus .

Quote:
I think we need to improve the QB situation of the roster.....
We agree 100% here. And I can accept where we are at QB with all the other improvements to the Skins. The QB spot is the hardest to fill. Hopefully with the QB potential available we find ours.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #33
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Cam Cameron thought highly of Beck and was planning on starting him in 2008. He thought enough of him to bring him to the Ravens to compete as a back up to Flacco. MS had Beck rated #1 in the 2007 draft. Beck is a 30 year old rookie with only 4 NFL starts. I believe Beck was pressing in pre-season, and based on his college performance and age (maturity) he has room for improvement and can be expected to protect the ball. At worst, I believe he will perform at the same level as Rex, with better mobility. Beck is still very much an unknown.

When I call for Crompton, then I'm there....right Lotus .

We agree 100% here. And I can accept where we are at QB with all the other improvements to the Skins. The QB spot is the hardest to fill. Hopefully with the QB potential available we find ours.
Heck yes!

Being serious, Sammy, you produced another outstanding and insightful review. But I must agree with GTripp on a couple of points. As much as Grossman hurts us, it is not true that we couldn't do any worse. Grossman has been problematic but not pathetic.

Put differently, this team can go far with a Qb who is a decent game manager. While Grossman has not been that decent game manager because of his bungles, what I've seen from Beck leads me to think that he would be no better, and likely worse, as a game manager.

Perhaps you are right, Sammy, to say that Beck struggled before because he was pressing. But if he was pressing in the preseason, what will he do against the Giants with the division on the line - not press?

You, Tripp, and I all agree that we need new blood at QB on the roster.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
You, Tripp, and I all agree that we need new blood at QB on the roster.
Which is the bottom line evaluation of our QB situation after four weeks.

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that this team with Jason Campbell at the helm is probably the favorite in the NFC East? I promise not to dwell on this, because it would cloud my vision for the season and he wasn't a realistic option for last year, much less this year, but it's a fun thought to consider.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 10-04-2011 at 03:31 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
fanarchist
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Put differently, this team can go far with a Qb who is a decent game manager. While Grossman has not been that decent game manager because of his bungles, what I've seen from Beck leads me to think that he would be no better, and likely worse, as a game manager.
What, specifically, have you seen from Beck that would imply he would be a worse game manager?
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #36
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
What, specifically, have you seen from Beck that would imply he would be a worse game manager?
Beck struggles with the simple throws against unblocked pressure. The ones inside seven yards but you need to complete to move the chains, those are the ones Beck dirt-balls.

Right now, our passing game is run-action, max protect heavy with three or fewer players in the pattern. What we really need to execute this offense is a
'thrower.' Someone who can execute the throws with velocity, accuracy, and touch when the receiver is obviously defined.

The Joe Flacco type, more or less. The sad thing is, our system is really very rookie-friendly because it doesn't ask the QB to do a whole lot at the line. But we're sorely lacking in arm talent right now.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #37
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that this team with Jason Campbell at the helm is probably the favorite in the NFC East? I promise not to dwell on this, because it would cloud my vision for the season and he wasn't a realistic option for last year, much less this year, but it's a fun thought to consider.
I agree. We would be better now with JC at the helm. Sigh.
We won more with Vinny
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #38
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
Quote:
Beck struggles with the simple throws against unblocked pressure. The ones inside seven yards but you need to complete to move the chains, those are the ones Beck dirt-balls.

Right now, our passing game is run-action, max protect heavy with three or fewer players in the pattern. What we really need to execute this offense is a
'thrower.' Someone who can execute the throws with velocity, accuracy, and touch when the receiver is obviously defined.

The Joe Flacco type, more or less. The sad thing is, our system is really very rookie-friendly because it doesn't ask the QB to do a whole lot at the line. But we're sorely lacking in arm talent right now.
What I would add to what GTripp so eloquently said is that Beck has a history in my eyes of making some poor decisions in which he does not take enough care of the ball. Sad to say, the Beck that I have seen would likely commit as many turnovers, and perhaps even more, as Wrecks.
We won more with Vinny
Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #39
fanarchist
Special Teams

Quote:

There were throws within those same parameters where I thought Beck excelled. Falling backward with a lineman in his face, completing a leaping throw for a check down in the Indy game. In the Baltimore game, when we were backed up on our goaline he made a quick slant read to TA with pressure in his face, and then again on the same drive another deeper slant to TA under duress. Beck seems to have more velocity on his balls than Grossman and receivers/coaches have said as much. As far as accuracy is concerned they are comparable, and Beck read openings for the long ball better than Grossman in the preseason.

I agree with the sentiment that QB is an obvious area where we need to improve in the upcoming offseason. Joe Flacco type, I don't know about that, he still has to put together a more consistent string of performances for me to get on board with that comparison. But my vote is already in the pool for Nick Foles.

Last edited by fanarchist; 10-04-2011 at 04:41 PM.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #40
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:

What's funny is I was thinking about the same possibility while putting together the review....then my head started to hurt.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #41
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
It is very much appreciated and I can honestly say the same of yours too.

Now if Matty would get off his hind-quarters and get us some damn airtime, we'd be in business.
Brilliant ... great work on the reviews gentlemen .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #42
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
What's funny is I was thinking about the same possibility while putting together the review....then my head started to hurt.
Can either you or your brother G throw a decent fade route?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #43
That Guy
Living Legend

beck is better for the short and long term? he's a twice passed over rookie by teams that needed QBs and he's 30.

I though tossing campbell was a mistake, not that he's great, but he was good enough.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #44
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
beck is better for the short and long term? he's a twice passed over rookie by teams that needed QBs and he's 30.

I though tossing campbell was a mistake, not that he's great, but he was good enough.
It could have saved us a 2nd rounder last year at the least.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #45
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Can either you or your brother G throw a decent fade route?
Actually, I can.

Can't throw the deep out or Go anymore though....getting old sucks.

Last edited by Slingin Sammy 33; 10-05-2011 at 08:44 AM.