Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offseason starts now: A Redskins players thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #61
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Offseason starts now: A Redskins players thread

I don't know, I don't see Reed's cap hit as a terrible thing.

2019 cap hits for tight ends:

Jimmy Graham $12.6M
Gronk $12.0M
Zach Ertz $11.8M
Travis Kelce $9.9M
Jordan Reed $9.7M
Charles Clay $9.0M
Trey Burton $8.7M
Jermaine Gresham $8.3M
Kyle Rudolph $7.6M
Dwayne Allen $7.4M
Cameron Brate $7.0M
Delanie Walker $6.8M

He's been injured and that sucks but if you think performance has been a problem when on the field then you're not watching the same game as me. Could you use the cap space more effectively? I don't think it's that easy to do.

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #62
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

Jimmy Graham $12.6M
Gronk $12.0M
Zach Ertz $11.8M
Travis Kelce $9.9M
Jordan Reed $9.7M
Charles Clay $9.0M
Trey Burton $8.7M
Jermaine Gresham $8.3M
Kyle Rudolph $7.6M
Dwayne Allen $7.4M
Cameron Brate $7.0M
Delanie Walker $6.8M

He's been injured and that sucks but if you think performance has been a problem when on the field then you're not watching the same game as me. Could you use the cap space more effectively? I don't think it's that easy to do.
lol...well certainly the Redskins prove that..in fact its really hard.

I see Jordan as an oft in juried player who is either out or playing through injury. There were reports he needs another surgery this offseason when he will be 29 coming into next year.

If Alex Smith and Reed had made a meaningful connection in the passing game...I wouldn't be advocating to move on....I didn't really see it and while Reed has gotten better as a blocker, still its secondary to his overall game. Im more on the fence about outright cut...but im more for trading for a pick to a team which is more suited to his game....could be a win for both.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #63
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

Jimmy Graham $12.6M
Gronk $12.0M
Zach Ertz $11.8M
Travis Kelce $9.9M
Jordan Reed $9.7M
Charles Clay $9.0M
Trey Burton $8.7M
Jermaine Gresham $8.3M
Kyle Rudolph $7.6M
Dwayne Allen $7.4M
Cameron Brate $7.0M

Delanie Walker $6.8M

Reed has averaged 6 starts per season. And in the last 3 years 3.3 TDs per season. He does not have elite production, so an elite level contract is a waste of money.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/ReedJo02.htm
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #64
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

List of Redskins 2019 Free Agents:

Ty Nsekhe
HHCD
Pernell McPhee
Shawn Lauvao
Preston Smith
AP
Mark Sanchez
Josh Johnson
Austin Howard
Tony Bergstrom
Luke Bowanko
Michael Floyd
Jonathan Cooper
Jamison Crowder
Marquis Flowers
Zac Kerin
Arie Kouandjio
Zach Vigil
Byron Marshall
Maurice Harris
Robert Kelley
ArDarius Stewart

Some of them you obviously don't bring back: HHCD, Lauvao, Sanchez, Howard, Kerin, Kelley etc...

Some of them you can easily bring back on the cheap, or at a good value/price ratio: JJ, Cooper, Vigil, Harris, McPhee, Nsekhe (how much can he ask?), Kouandjio, (Bergstrom?)

Some of them you bring back at the right price: Preston Smith

And then I think it's not a debate you need to bring AP and Crowder back.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #65
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Still hoping for some kind of news on the FO/coaching staff front, but in the meanwhile I'll try to have a bit of fun looking at this roster:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Cutting McGee post June 1st would save 3M, cutting VD would save nearly 4M. Other than that (and bottom of the roster cuts), I don't see any obvious cut.
I try to restructure Norman's deal and extend Brandon Scherff.

EDIT: OTC has a calculator tool, quite fun.
We currently have a 23M cap space for 2019, that's 25th in the league, but it's not cap hell.
Cut McGee, VD, Catalina (because he sucks), and Jessu Chesson (because why not?) and all of the sudden you have 31M available.
And that's with Brandon Scherff's 12.5M option year, so extend him (and keep in mind this FO has done a good job of structuring contracts in order to save cap in early years), restructure Norman's deal, make a couple other low key moves and you could be looking at around 40M of available cap space.

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 01-03-2019 at 03:43 AM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #66
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Still hoping for some kind of news on the FO/coaching staff front, but in the meanwhile I'll try to have a bit of fun looking at this roster:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Cutting McGee post June 1st would save 3M, cutting VD would save nearly 4M. Other than that (and bottom of the roster cuts), I don't see any obvious cut.
I try to restructure Norman's deal and extend Brandon Scherff.

EDIT: OTC has a calculator tool, quite fun.
We currently have a 23M cap space for 2019, that's 25th in the league, but it's not cap hell.
Cut McGee, VD, Catalina (because he sucks), and Jessu Chesson (because why not?) and all of the sudden you have 31M available.
And that's with Brandon Scherff's 12.5M option year, so extend him (and keep in mind this FO has done a good job of structuring contracts in order to save cap in early years), restructure Norman's deal, make a couple other low key moves and you could be looking at around 40M of available cap space.
Agree, even with Bruce’s latest albatross Alex Smith...if we make a couple rational moves we should have the cap space to bring in some guys. I agree with what you have said.

But with McGee hear me out...first I was against the move when it was made preferring to put that money towards calis Campbell and it’s proven to be a bad decision. BUT...if we bring in a d coordinator who goes base 4-3 then we would move back to scheme where McGee excelled with the Raiders. I think he would be more valuable and we could retain rotational depth. Going forward our strategy should be keep the trenches stacked...our front office negligence with interior Oline has sunk this team for several years.

He Gets Us
Old 01-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #67
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Agree, even with Bruce’s latest albatross Alex Smith...if we make a couple rational moves we should have the cap space to bring in some guys. I agree with what you have said.

But with McGee hear me out...first I was against the move when it was made preferring to put that money towards calis Campbell and it’s proven to be a bad decision. BUT...if we bring in a d coordinator who goes base 4-3 then we would move back to scheme where McGee excelled with the Raiders. I think he would be more valuable and we could retain rotational depth. Going forward our strategy should be keep the trenches stacked...our front office negligence with interior Oline has sunk this team for several years.
I hear you and agree on the stack the trenches philosophy.

A couple of things though: I like the idea of transitioning to a 4 - 3, been liking it for several years now. But a lot of you pointed out we're kinda short on ILBs. I'd like to keep Mason Foster, on a good day I think he's a smart, tough and underrated player, but his status is unsure with all the drama he had this season. Plus on a bad day his lack of speed is hurting us. Hamilton has shown some flashes. A healthy Zach Brown is a solid LB and he has improved his covering skills. Then what? I like Zach Vigil but is he a viable starter? You transition Ryan Anderson to SAM but it's a project and he's improved as a 3-4 OLB this season.
My fear is that right now it would be creating another need.

Still would like it if a new DC comes in and wants a 4-3 though.

Back on McGee, with Payne, Allen, Ioannidis and Settle as young studs, I think we can find way cheaper rotational guys than him. I like the 3M over him.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #68
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
List of Redskins 2019 Free Agents:

Ty Nsekhe
HHCD
Pernell McPhee
Shawn Lauvao
Preston Smith
AP
Mark Sanchez
Josh Johnson
Austin Howard
Tony Bergstrom
Luke Bowanko
Michael Floyd
Jonathan Cooper
Jamison Crowder

Marquis Flowers
Zac Kerin
Arie Kouandjio
Zach Vigil
Byron Marshall
Maurice Harris
Robert Kelley
ArDarius Stewart

Some of them you obviously don't bring back: HHCD, Lauvao, Sanchez, Howard, Kerin, Kelley etc...

Some of them you can easily bring back on the cheap, or at a good value/price ratio: JJ, Cooper, Vigil, Harris, McPhee, Nsekhe (how much can he ask?), Kouandjio, (Bergstrom?)

Some of them you bring back at the right price: Preston Smith

And then I think it's not a debate you need to bring AP and Crowder back.
The only guys I'd bring back
Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #69
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hear you and agree on the stack the trenches philosophy.

A couple of things though: I like the idea of transitioning to a 4 - 3, been liking it for several years now. But a lot of you pointed out we're kinda short on ILBs. I'd like to keep Mason Foster, on a good day I think he's a smart, tough and underrated player, but his status is unsure with all the drama he had this season. Plus on a bad day his lack of speed is hurting us. Hamilton has shown some flashes. A healthy Zach Brown is a solid LB and he has improved his covering skills. Then what? I like Zach Vigil but is he a viable starter? You transition Ryan Anderson to SAM but it's a project and he's improved as a 3-4 OLB this season.
My fear is that right now it would be creating another need.

Still would like it if a new DC comes in and wants a 4-3 though.

Back on McGee, with Payne, Allen, Ioannidis and Settle as young studs, I think we can find way cheaper rotational guys than him. I like the 3M over him.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
See...I didn't bring him up, but Mason Foster should be cut...think it would save 2.5 mill. After that social media message and a season where he was inconsistent, he shouldn't be brought back. Hamilton and Anderson should be given an opportunity and they both played well this year. Zach Brown is one of the better LB in the league, so he would stay. Also, remember we picked up a piece of shit R. Foster...he could make noise too.

McGee...on the fence. He wasn't bad for us when he played.

He Gets Us
Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #70
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
See...I didn't bring him up, but Mason Foster should be cut...think it would save 2.5 mill. After that social media message and a season where he was inconsistent, he shouldn't be brought back. Hamilton and Anderson should be given an opportunity and they both played well this year. Zach Brown is one of the better LB in the league, so he would stay. Also, remember we picked up a piece of shit R. Foster...he could make noise too.

McGee...on the fence. He wasn't bad for us when he played.
1.75M per OTC. If a new DC comes in and Jay thinks he can handle it, I'd keep Mason. Again, assuming there's a new DC that can bring the better out of him, which IMO is a valuable smart and tough vet. If Manusky stays MF obviously needs to be gone, but in that scenario I don't see anybody on that D playing to their full potential.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #71
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Mason Foster is a bum. How is he still in the league? He can't get off blocks, can't cover anyone and is slow. To me he's not even a backup. I would have rather kept Spaight. Not really impressed w/ Dion Hamilton either. He played like shit against the Eagles.

We don't have the LB's to run a 3-4. I'd rather have our d-line getting up field and attacking. Let them be the playmakers of the defense.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #72
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Charges dropped against Reuben foster

http://m.tmz.com/#!2019/01/03/reuben...harge-dropped/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #73
dmek25
MVP

im with skinsfan69 here. lets go back to a base 4-3. thats the strength of our team right now. and neither smith or kerrigan can cover me. and im 57
Old 01-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #74
GridIron26
Playmaker

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington...ts--127207513/

I remember saw an article stating that we also signed Marquis Flowers to future contract, I can't find the article.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #75
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
1.75M per OTC. If a new DC comes in and Jay thinks he can handle it, I'd keep Mason. Again, assuming there's a new DC that can bring the better out of him, which IMO is a valuable smart and tough vet. If Manusky stays MF obviously needs to be gone, but in that scenario I don't see anybody on that D playing to their full potential.
Honestly, I'll take ANY proven DC right now. We keep doing this in-house bullshit and it's making me bananas. Bowles is RIGHT there for the taking.