No indictment in the mike brown case

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #31
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: No indictment in the mike brown case

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
1. every parent of a black male should talk with their son at a very early age about what to do if they are stopped by a police officer. talk to them about how officers have a heightened sense of "danger and fear for their life" when an officer is near a black male such as themselves. Tell them to not give an overly nervous officer any reason what-so-ever. And then tell them that despite all of this .. they could still be shot or killed because the officer "saw the perpetrator reach for his waist band" line. <SNIP>.
You know what? Here's what I constantly tell my (white) son:

If you are being stopped by the police, do what they say. Don't argue, don't contradict them, don't think to yourself "He can't tell me that" - particularly if there is any reason to suspect that the cop thinks you or the situation poses danger. De-escalate first by doing exactly what he/she says. Make sure the officer sees you complying and, if necessary tell him what you are doing and how you are intending to do it and then ask him for permission. Make no sudden moves!! If the officer says not to do something, then don't do it - even it means standing there and pissing your pants.

The officer has a badge, a gun, and the inherent right to be confrontational - you do not!!

I don't care if he insults your manhood and calls you every dirty name in the book (Which by the way, happened to me in my teen years - more than once. I grew up in PG County in the 70's/80's - need I say more?). No matter how he provokes you, say and do nothing that could be deemed an aggressive action. Shut up, take it, and return indignity with civility. Do everything in your power to get to the end of the tunnel until you can call me, a lawyer or peacefully appeal to a judge. Until then, the officer has complete, unchallengable authority - act accordingly.

BTW - When I was 16, my dad told me the same damn thing after I got picked up and taken to the station for not doing exactly what the cop told me to do, the second he told me to do it. [Picking up litter I dropped as the officer happened to be driving by - I did or said something to piss him off, don't even remember what, just know my first response was nothing akin to "Yes Sir!"]

Every parent needs to have this conversation with their kids. Period. I KNOW that there are bad cops - particularly, bad beat cops. I get that there are racist cops out there. With that said, it's the bad cops to whom you need to "Listen & Obey" the most because they are the ones looking for an excuse to abuse you AND will be the ones most experienced at covering it up.

Obey first, seek redress later. AND, recognize you may never get the redress to which you believe you are entitled. It's not right, it's not fair but it's life. At the appropriate time, and in the appropriate manner, try to change it.

Advertisements
Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #32
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Is Don Lemon still running around talking about the smell of weed in the air with his tear gas mask on?

Folks thats part of the problem right there
Agreed!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #33
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Agreed!
I wouldnt put it pass cnn to have bought used cars, dress them up like cop cars and just park them in the street near the protest. Set up molotav coctail shops like limonade stands.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #34
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I wouldnt put it pass cnn to have bought used cars, dress them up like cop cars and just park them in the street near the protest. Set up molotav coctail shops like limonade stands.
lol ... little did you know Michael Bey was producer for the coverage.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

If you are being stopped by the police, do what they say. Don't argue, don't contradict them, don't think to yourself "He can't tell me that" - particularly if there is any reason to suspect that the cop thinks you or the situation poses danger. De-escalate first by doing exactly what he/she says. Make sure the officer sees you complying and, if necessary tell him what you are doing and how you are intending to do it and then ask him for permission. Make no sudden moves!! If the officer says not to do something, then don't do it - even it means standing there and pissing your pants.

The officer has a badge, a gun, and the inherent right to be confrontational - you do not!!

I don't care if he insults your manhood and calls you every dirty name in the book (Which by the way, happened to me in my teen years - more than once. I grew up in PG County in the 70's/80's - need I say more?). No matter how he provokes you, say and do nothing that could be deemed an aggressive action. Shut up, take it, and return indignity with civility. Do everything in your power to get to the end of the tunnel until you can call me, a lawyer or peacefully appeal to a judge. Until then, the officer has complete, unchallengable authority - act accordingly.

BTW - When I was 16, my dad told me the same damn thing after I got picked up and taken to the station for not doing exactly what the cop told me to do, the second he told me to do it. [Picking up litter I dropped as the officer happened to be driving by - I did or said something to piss him off, don't even remember what, just know my first response was nothing akin to "Yes Sir!"]

Every parent needs to have this conversation with their kids. Period. I KNOW that there are bad cops - particularly, bad beat cops. I get that there are racist cops out there. With that said, it's the bad cops to whom you need to "Listen & Obey" the most because they are the ones looking for an excuse to abuse you AND will be the ones most experienced at covering it up.

Obey first, seek redress later. AND, recognize you may never get the redress to which you believe you are entitled. It's not right, it's not fair but it's life. At the appropriate time, and in the appropriate manner, try to change it.
D*** my dad told me to out shout the bastards, or maybe that's just what I heard after I stopped listening.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

brainwashing works through endless repetition hearing the same lie over and over again you are free you are free you are free are you free
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #37
JoeRedskin

Define "free."

Old 11-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #38
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
By all accounts, that's a true statement. At the same time, in this instance, the it appears that a thieve who punched an officer, reached into the officer's car, tried grab his gun and then got shot while charging the officer.

Could Wilson have done something differently? Probably. Could it all been avoided if Brown had not attempted to assault an officer? Most definitely.

Sorry, if you want a poster child of racial profiling by police, Michael Brown - on the day in question - is not the guy.

They are releasing some of the sworn testimony of the witness's and if true there was no other conclusion and only one stated anything about his hands being raised .Some people would rather have a dead police officer than a dead criminal .

"McCulloch said that the grand jury investigation found that some witness statements were "completely refuted by the physical evidence." He said that the biggest challenge to the investigation was rumors on social media and "the 24-hour news cycle and its appetite for something, anything, to talk about."
Ferguson cop not indicted in shooting of Michael Brown.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #39
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Define "free."

Freedom is an illusion sponsored by Corporate America.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #40
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Joe ...

Question ?

I realize criminal and civil trails are two different things but in your opinion how do you think a civil trail (wrongful death) would fare with the same facts and would it be better for the Officer to not have a jury trail ?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #41
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Well said ,you need to go on tour .
Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #42
mlmdub130
Playmaker

No indictment in the mike brown case

Quote:

If you are being stopped by the police, do what they say. Don't argue, don't contradict them, don't think to yourself "He can't tell me that" - particularly if there is any reason to suspect that the cop thinks you or the situation something, then don't do it - even it means standing there and pissing your pants.

So you tell your son he should sit there and piss his pants because the officer had the inherent right to be confrontational? Sorry but that doesn't fly. No one has the inherent right to be confrontational and that's the main problem in my eyes.

My belief is that at the end of the day these are kids, and it is up to the officer of the law to be responsible for keeping control of the situation. After all that is what their job is all about. It's to protect and serve, not harass and embarrass.

With this situation in Ferguson I think the officer failed his job when he got into the initial confrontation with Brown. He felt the need to establish dominance over the younger Brown. Brown being young and not really understanding the totality of his actions decided he wasn't going to be "punked" by some cop.

Both parties acted poorly in this instance, but I believe it's the officers responsibility to maintain his emotions and not let the situation get the better of him. He failed to do so and thus here we are, another youth shot dead from a simple misunderstanding and miscommunication.

I hope at the end of the day some good comes from this and the Brown's family wishes come true and all police officers are mandated to wear a camera on their person.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #43
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
So you tell your son he should sit there and piss his pants because the officer had the inherent right to be confrontational? Sorry but that doesn't fly. No one has the inherent right to be confrontational and that's the main problem in my eyes.

My belief is that at the end of the day these are kids, and it is up to the officer of the law to be responsible for keeping control of the situation. After all that is what their job is all about. It's to protect and serve, not harass and embarrass.

With this situation in Ferguson I think the officer failed his job when he got into the initial confrontation with Brown. He felt the need to establish dominance over the younger Brown. Brown being young and not really understanding the totality of his actions decided he wasn't going to be "punked" by some cop.

Both parties acted poorly in this instance, but I believe it's the officers responsibility to maintain his emotions and not let the situation get the better of him. He failed to do so and thus here we are, another youth shot dead from a simple misunderstanding and miscommunication.

I hope at the end of the day some good comes from this and the Brown's family wishes come true and all police officers are mandated to wear a camera on their person.
what the heck? Being non-confrontational = pissing pants? Attitudes like not wanting to get "punked" when confronted by someone, are childish and may have gotten Brown killed. What you describe is Brown's fault. Not the officer.

Cant stand being harrassed and embarrased, and not mature enough to handle it without getting physical? Thats troubled child in elementary school behavior, not average high school or older behavior.

Agreed on one thing: GoPros. Protect the good cops and expose the bad cops.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

Both parties acted poorly in this instance, but I believe it's the officers responsixbility to maintain his emotions and not let the situation get the better of him. He failed to do so and thus here we are, another youth shot dead from a simple misunderstanding and miscommunication.

This. Well said

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #45
HailGreen28
Playmaker

And another thing, Micheal Brown was 18. Are people saying he's not mature enough to refrain from shoplifting and getting into a fight with a cop afterwards?

The poor kid shot by the police is on the left, the shop clerk is on the right.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote