Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Free Agency

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Grade WFT's free agency haul so far (Fitz, Samuel, Jackson)
A 28 48.28%
B 26 44.83%
C 3 5.17%
D 1 1.72%
F 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #301
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: WFT Free Agency

I honestly think this team might be an elite QB and LB play away from vying for the NFC championship.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #302
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I honestly think this team might be an elite QB and LB play away from vying for the NFC championship.

Run game has to turn it around or we are not competing for . And honestly if the team is built right around a Fitz type we can make a run this year. Couple more key depth pieces in FA and a kickass draft ..,,
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #303
MTK
\m/

Expanding the passing game will also open up opportunities in the run game. I'm really looking forward to seeing Gibson in year 2. Samuel on jet sweeps too, nasty.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #304
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Expanding the passing game will also open up opportunities in the run game. I'm really looking forward to seeing Gibson in year 2. Samuel on jet sweeps too, nasty.
Me too! Gibson played pretty well for a guy who switched from receiver to RB, had no real training camp to learn and train, played with a below average QB performances and first year offense coordinator.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #305
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Agreed. They feed off each other.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #306
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Yop. But he was also used a lot out of the backfield. I wonder if Scott sprinkles in some 2 back sets with Gibson and Samuel for the sake of fakes and tendency braking...
Old 03-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #307
MTK
\m/

Washington Signs CB Darryl Roberts
Old 03-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #308
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Depth - probably 4th or 5th on the depth chart.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #309
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Using ProFootball Reference's comparison tool, He has 189 solo tackles to Moreau's 84 in 1 more season, 7 more games.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #310
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
@john_keim
“Humphries deal is for one year, per source”

But for how much 💰💰?
18 million dollars.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #311
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #312
Scalper

Darryl Roberts - B

This is the kind of guy you want to be drafting, not signing, but this is again hardly the fault of RR and co., who are cleaning up the mess that Cerrato Ye Dunce, Bruce Allen, and THE DAN left. It will take 2 more drafts before we are fully free and clear of the mistakes of old, so we are stuck with signings like this. You pay 2-10 players on the bottom end of roster $1-3M versus 5th-7th round rookie slotting, it adds up. This is again not fault of new regime.

We have a true #1CB in Jackson, and #1.5CB in Fuller who is much better in slot. Moreland is a feel good story, but no way you want him starting all year as one of primary two corners. Moreland makes some plays, but also seems to be around at times when WRs sprint through secondary wide open, I'll take consistency in coverage over splash plays. If Fuller or Jackson went down, we are hosed. You figure we'll draft a CB, ideally top-4 picks, but FO again wants freedom to go BPA, and even if you knew we were going to draft a CB top-4 picks this signing still probably makes sense. Depending how you reckon Deshazor, I don't love the guy, Roberts is immediately #3 on depth chart. He has some natural speed, he is versatile, can play slot, outside, some FS (be funny but not really if he ended up as our FS this year), and you can trust him much more than other guys backend of roster in nickel (again, see receivers of better teams sprinting wide open through our secondary like it is the plains of Africa). He was making about $6M a year when jets cut him, and $2M we're paying him is probably fair tending towards bit of bargain--tough to say as a guy rolls up on 30. He is probably between 50th-100th best CB in football, in middle or a bit lower of that range I'd say. So where we signed him to play, 3rd CB, is right where his talent indicates he should be. Even if we draft rookie, Jackson, Fuller, Roberts, Rookie, Johnson (STer).

This is a solid B signing. FO again deserves credit for plugging some gaping holes in our depth chart, which could really expose us if we are in competition for playoffs and injuries strike. This is not some absurd bargain, nor some awesome player, so the B grade is appropriate. These are the types of players good teams have, bad teams don't, and the best teams draft rather than signing. Long term plan at position is hopefully to draft young CB this year, bring him along, and then have him be 3rd CB when Roberts leaves next year, and draft another CB next year as well.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #313
Scalper

Humphries Signing

Adam Humphries Signing - B-

As with CB, if Samuels or McL go down, we are hosed and right back where started, and not absurd to think with small receivers that take a beating this might happen. It might also be good to use Samuels speed on outside more at times in certain looks packages, not just in slot. Additionally, while you hope that one of our long-strider giants becomes a #2, Harmon, Golden, or Sims, should you bank on it? For these reasons, bringing in another proven WR makes a TON of sense. This signing makes Sims (smurf Sims) expendable. Unless we keep 7 WRs, you would think Harmon, Golden, Sims, Samuels, McL, Humphries. You get the sense RR and co. want to attack defenses more vertically this year, LOL.

Humphries was a UDFA, is an average athlete, and not super fast, but he has better short area quickness than his measurables might indicate and is fairly savvy at getting separation. You have to think a good word from Fitz factored in somewhere here, they had good chemistry together. Humphries is a hard worker, and a guy that just seems to know how to get open and make plays even though he is not blessed with massive talent and isn't some massively dominant player. He is the type of guy who can beat a 3rd CB however, and you might expect some solid production as teams focus on Samuel and McL. He was signed by Titans for $9M a year over 4 years and was cut 2 years in because of injuries and subpar production. One year, terms of deal not released, let's assume $3-$6M, one year deal.

This is another solid B signing. Given the injury history, anything longer than 1 year would be insane, and we can't tie more money up anyway, at WR, long term, with McL needing new contract soon. Tough to see this signing and think FO has massive confidence in Harmon, Golden, or Sims. Simply can't afford to have absolutely nothing besides McL (or Samuels) again this year if younger guys don't develop or injuries. This gives you an established WR with solid proven production, though not elite production--if he can stay healthy. This is a solid B signing without the injury history, but drops to B- with that. Nothing wrong with solid B signings to round out roster, As are hard to get in FA, what you don't want is Cs and Ds, overpaying, especially older players with injury history past prime, like we used to.

Yet again, this is the type of guy that better teams draft rather than having to sign, but going to take 2 more years to be fully clear of mistakes of past.

You see this signing, the CB signing of Roberts, you begin to wonder if the FO is going to go T, QB, TE, LB, or FS with earlier picks in draft. As of now, we would be hosed at T if one of starters hurt and Charles a total question mark can't produce. Same at TE, nothing behind Thomas. And I just can't imagine we don't draft a QB with one of first four picks to learn behind Fitz and bridge the future. Our 3 QBs better be Fitz, Heinecke, and a rookie. Maybe we sign a TE or LB or FS next few weeks, or maybe or draft focus is becoming more apparent? We could honestly use about 20 picks to draft WR, 2 RBs, 2 TEs, 2 QBs, T, DT, DE, 3-5 LBs (LOL), 2 FS, 2-3 CBs, and a new Red Snapper! So important to draft well long term so you eventually get to point where you have solid drafted players on most of backend of roster.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #314
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Darryl Roberts - B

This is the kind of guy you want to be drafting, not signing, but this is again hardly the fault of RR and co., who are cleaning up the mess that Cerrato Ye Dunce, Bruce Allen, and THE DAN left. It will take 2 more drafts before we are fully free and clear of the mistakes of old, so we are stuck with signings like this. You pay 2-10 players on the bottom end of roster $1-3M versus 5th-7th round rookie slotting, it adds up. This is again not fault of new regime.

We have a true #1CB in Jackson, and #1.5CB in Fuller who is much better in slot. Moreland is a feel good story, but no way you want him starting all year as one of primary two corners. Moreland makes some plays, but also seems to be around at times when WRs sprint through secondary wide open, I'll take consistency in coverage over splash plays. If Fuller or Jackson went down, we are hosed. You figure we'll draft a CB, ideally top-4 picks, but FO again wants freedom to go BPA, and even if you knew we were going to draft a CB top-4 picks this signing still probably makes sense. Depending how you reckon Deshazor, I don't love the guy, Roberts is immediately #3 on depth chart. He has some natural speed, he is versatile, can play slot, outside, some FS (be funny but not really if he ended up as our FS this year), and you can trust him much more than other guys backend of roster in nickel (again, see receivers of better teams sprinting wide open through our secondary like it is the plains of Africa). He was making about $6M a year when jets cut him, and $2M we're paying him is probably fair tending towards bit of bargain--tough to say as a guy rolls up on 30. He is probably between 50th-100th best CB in football, in middle or a bit lower of that range I'd say. So where we signed him to play, 3rd CB, is right where his talent indicates he should be. Even if we draft rookie, Jackson, Fuller, Roberts, Rookie, Johnson (STer).

This is a solid B signing. FO again deserves credit for plugging some gaping holes in our depth chart, which could really expose us if we are in competition for playoffs and injuries strike. This is not some absurd bargain, nor some awesome player, so the B grade is appropriate. These are the types of players good teams have, bad teams don't, and the best teams draft rather than signing. Long term plan at position is hopefully to draft young CB this year, bring him along, and then have him be 3rd CB when Roberts leaves next year, and draft another CB next year as well.
He's basically Moreau's replacement, and I'm not sure he jumps Moreland on the depth chart. He's serviceable, but nothing special. That said, I like the signing for depth purposes, but agree that they should still draft a CB.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #315
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Looking at what we've done in FA, I think it's been about giving us more freedom in the draft; reducing the outright need to draft any one position. The only 3 positions I see as not being properly addressed so far are LT, LB and FS. Everything is covered with pickups that will be immediate starters (Fitz, Samuel, Jackson) or depth where we're thin/allowed guys to walk (Roberts, Mayo, Humphries). I think they're placing themselves where any team really wants to be, able to draft BPA with every pick. Given where we pick and the mocks suggest the same, #19 is going to be an LT or LB. I can see us therefore looking to round out depth with a few more FA signings, probably after we see what the draft gives us. Someone like Fisher, if still available, if we don't get the OL we want. Seems a sound approach to FA and the draft so far.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote