Redskins vs Patriots

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #166
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Redskins vs Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
From most reports and a couple beat guys ive heard this morning, Settle was solid for a rookie NT first action. From one beat reporter, quote from staff was Settle didn't look like a rookie out there.
Well these gentlemen know football and line play better than me. I simply would love to get an explanation of what I'm not seeing...

Advertisements
Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #167
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Well these gentlemen know football and line play better than me. I simply would love to get an explanation of what I'm not seeing...
well recovering fumble, getting up to bat down a pass, splitting double team to make a tackle, and not quitting to make a tackle away from the point of attack....these are solid contributions. So sure...I agree he was pushed back several times...sometimes he misread...sometimes his technique wasn't sound...but these mistakes are coachable. He's been turning heads in camp...
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #168
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Whoever thinks Tim Settle was disappointing doesn't understand football. You really should be banished from the board because you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Reading shit like this on here makes me fuckin mad. Go to some other dipshit board if you don't know the game.
We have exactly one French Redskins fan on the board and you're trying to chase him off? I love the guy - even if he (mistakenly) doesn't think Settle can play. Don't tell my man to go to some other dipshit board. I want him on this dipshit board.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #169
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Blurb from Profootball focus:

Most of the Redskins’ defensive line had trouble holdig their ground Thursday night, but not big nose tackle Tim Settle. He proved difficult to move and was the one positive takeaway you could have from that defensive interior.

While the defensive line was being pushed backwards in the running game for the Redskins, their backup off-ball linebackers showed some promise in shooting gaps. Jerod Fernandez and Shaun Dion Hamilton had trouble moving sideline-to-sideline, but when came to downhill hitting, they excelled
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #170
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Blurb from Profootball focus:

Most of the Redskins’ defensive line had trouble holdig their ground Thursday night, but not big nose tackle Tim Settle. He proved difficult to move and was the one positive takeaway you could have from that defensive interior.

While the defensive line was being pushed backwards in the running game for the Redskins, their backup off-ball linebackers showed some promise in shooting gaps. Jerod Fernandez and Shaun Dion Hamilton had trouble moving sideline-to-sideline, but when came to downhill hitting, they excelled
The PFF oracle has spoken! The argument is Settled . All hail PFF!
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #171
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
We have exactly one French Redskins fan on the board and you're trying to chase him off? I love the guy - even if he (mistakenly) doesn't think Settle can play. Don't tell my man to go to some other dipshit board. I want him on this dipshit board.
Haha thanks for the love. Obviously I'm wrong on this one... heck, if he contributes come regular season I'll be glad I was wrong.
As for the dipshit board, I'm not going anywhere but on this one, no matter how wrong I am!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #172
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Haha thanks for the love. Obviously I'm wrong on this one... heck, if he contributes come regular season I'll be glad I was wrong.

As for the dipshit board, I'm not going anywhere but on this one, no matter how wrong I am!

Dipshits unite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #173
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

One last thing, to be clear I don't think "Settle can't play". I just wasn't impressed by his overall performance last night. That's not saying he has no potential.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #174
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
OK. This time with more respect. Your post just put me on tilt because I was like what the heck was he watching.

If you rewatch:

- The Matt Ioannidis sack play on Hoyer. Settle draws the double team and is enough of a handful that the guard and center stay on him the entire time. He plays the double team to a complete stalemate. Ioannidis remains one on one against the tackle and wins by bull rushing back into Hoyer's lap. That play doesn't happen if Settle is pushed back by the double team, because then Hoyer can step up.

- The Patriots had some success running the ball when Settle was in there during the 3rd quarter. When that success happened, note they ran around him, not at him. Settle would get moved at times but never by one man, if he was moved it was always because of a double team. Now, account for who's in there next to him. It was Lanier and Hood most often. Lanier was pushed back more than anybody during that quarter, and the Patriots took advantage. If one defensive lineman holds up, but the others don't, the RB can usually find the hole. You can't blame Settle for Lanier's failings against the run.

- On the fumble recovery notice Settle's quick and agile feet to stay on his feet despite guys diving at his lower body. I was impressed by his balance and quickness on that play.

- On the play I linked to, Settle beats the Pats center off the ball, so he's showing you a flash of quickness in addition to sheer size.

All in all I'm watching Settle and thinking that if he's playing next to Allen and Ioannidis (say in the event of a Payne injury or something) then the line will hold up well overall because Settle's doing his job of occupying the double teams which keeps Allen and Ioannidis one on one. They'll disrupt often enough for Zach Brown and Mason Foster to clean it up.

So when you watch an individual player in preseason, try not to focus on the surrounding factors they can't control. Focus instead on how they're playing as an individual and how they're performing against double teams, and instead imagine how that performance would translate if they were playing alongside other starting caliber players.

Lanier is a notorious liability against the run. Make sure you're not coloring your opinion of Settle by the thought that he's not playing two positions at once (his own and Lanier's). Settle consistently occupied two blockers last night, and still got in on five tackles. It was a performance that translates well to a run-down package player and gives me confidence that he can rotate in for Payne and maintain a competent run defense. I would not put him in the nickel rush packages, but we already knew that. That's Kerrigan, Preston, Allen, and Ioannidis/Payne all the way.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #175
Schneed10
A Dude

Also, they sat Kerrigan and Preston. I didn't even see McPhee play. They had Anderson and Petey Robertson in there.

I love Petey as a rotational speed rusher but he's a disaster against the run (he's just too small) and he didn't set a good edge. Make sure you account for that when you look at Settle. The Pats were sealing the edge so well against Petey that Lanier didn't stand a chance because he was walled off (and had enough trouble handling his own man).

That's not a run package the Redskins would ever play with in the regular season.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #176
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
OK. This time with more respect. Your post just put me on tilt because I was like what the heck was he watching.

If you rewatch:

- The Matt Ioannidis sack play on Hoyer. Settle draws the double team and is enough of a handful that the guard and center stay on him the entire time. He plays the double team to a complete stalemate. Ioannidis remains one on one against the tackle and wins by bull rushing back into Hoyer's lap. That play doesn't happen if Settle is pushed back by the double team, because then Hoyer can step up.

- The Patriots had some success running the ball when Settle was in there during the 3rd quarter. When that success happened, note they ran around him, not at him. Settle would get moved at times but never by one man, if he was moved it was always because of a double team. Now, account for who's in there next to him. It was Lanier and Hood most often. Lanier was pushed back more than anybody during that quarter, and the Patriots took advantage. If one defensive lineman holds up, but the others don't, the RB can usually find the hole. You can't blame Settle for Lanier's failings against the run.

- On the fumble recovery notice Settle's quick and agile feet to stay on his feet despite guys diving at his lower body. I was impressed by his balance and quickness on that play.

- On the play I linked to, Settle beats the Pats center off the ball, so he's showing you a flash of quickness in addition to sheer size.

All in all I'm watching Settle and thinking that if he's playing next to Allen and Ioannidis (say in the event of a Payne injury or something) then the line will hold up well overall because Settle's doing his job of occupying the double teams which keeps Allen and Ioannidis one on one. They'll disrupt often enough for Zach Brown and Mason Foster to clean it up.

So when you watch an individual player in preseason, try not to focus on the surrounding factors they can't control. Focus instead on how they're playing as an individual and how they're performing against double teams, and instead imagine how that performance would translate if they were playing alongside other starting caliber players.

Lanier is a notorious liability against the run. Make sure you're not coloring your opinion of Settle by the thought that he's not playing two positions at once (his own and Lanier's). Settle consistently occupied two blockers last night, and still got in on five tackles. It was a performance that translates well to a run-down package player and gives me confidence that he can rotate in for Payne and maintain a competent run defense. I would not put him in the nickel rush packages, but we already knew that. That's Kerrigan, Preston, Allen, and Ioannidis/Payne all the way.
No worries, never took it personally... Now, thanks A LOT for this post.
This is one of the reasons why I won't go to another dipshit board

As soon as I find 30 minutes I'll rewatch the game with your post in mind.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #177
Schneed10
A Dude

Good man, Frenchy. Don't leave, you're a good egg. And because nobody can ever see me apologize I'll say it en Francais: je suis desole, tu n'es pas un dipshit.

Is dipshit a male or female noun? I don't know, my five years of French were inadequate for that.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #178
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I have to break down Pats pass O later today, I'm going to see what the fuss is all about with our DL lol
Old 08-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #179
Schneed10
A Dude

I do think the Skins have to give some serious thought to whether they think Lanier is worth keeping. From what I saw he's such a significant run liability.

Pass rush skills are evident though. You'd have to be comfortable with having a pretty one dimensional depth player who you'd only put in as a sub package interior pass rusher, because he can be run on all day long.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #180
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Good man, Frenchy. Don't leave, you're a good egg. And because nobody can ever see me apologize I'll say it en Francais: je suis desole, tu n'es pas un dipshit.

Is dipshit a male or female noun? I don't know, my five years of French were inadequate for that.
Ne t'inquiètes pas, et merci pour tes posts très intéressants !

As for the gender of dipshit... I wouldn't know, since it's hard to have an accurate french translation for it.
We had a cousin of my wife over for a week, she speaks pretty good french but we had a lot of fun trying to figure out a logic of what's male and what's female to explain it to her... we're pretty sure there's absolutely none.