Advertisements
Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #47
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Browns pregame thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Gotta start faster. Haskins can’t wait to get it going in the second half
This is a huge game for Haskins, if he wants to prove the doubters wrong he needs to step up. If he sucks again, Kyle Allen will be getting ready to play soon
Old 09-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #48
MTK
\m/

Allen isn't playing anytime soon. Rivera is playing the long game here, he's not going to have a quick hook. And I also don't think Haskins has been the disaster some seem to think.

Pretty good breakdown here that made me feel better about him after reading it: Inside View: Dwayne Haskins fights with inconsistency in loss at Arizona

Just a little sample if you don't subscribe to The Athletic:

Quote:
Overall, it was a frustrating performance from Haskins because of a young quarterback’s up and down nature working through the necessary bumps and bruises as he learns how to play quarterback at the NFL level. There were definitely some negative plays that he needs to correct, including ongoing issues like missed deep throws and lacking touch on certain passes. Running into sacks from a clean pocket is something that simply cannot continue for Haskins going forward. However, there were signs of very good quarterback play from Haskins too, with good mental processes leading him to quick reads, good ball placement on shorter passes, and manipulating defenders with his eyes to open up routes. Progress for a quarterback isn’t necessarily linear, so expect more bumps in the road going forward, but there are positive signs in there too.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #49
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Gotta start faster. Haskins can’t wait to get it going in the second half
Totally agree. Problem is Mayfield has been a better pro qb, has much better weapons, and a better oline. I think Haskins will have about 1/2 a season to prove himself. His accuracy is very concerning. I am troubled by that fact that it hasn't improved much since last season. If we suck this year, Rivera needs to find out not just about Haskins but Allen too. Might as well get our money's worth. Lawrence and Fields are way too good not to.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #50
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Haskins isn’t totally at fault for the slow starts, Scott Turner needs to share that responsibility. His gameplanning has been avg...the reason we beat the eagles cause Ron told him to scrap the shit he was doing on offense in the first half

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #51
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Haskins isn’t totally at fault for the slow starts, Scott Turner needs to share that responsibility. His gameplanning has been avg...the reason we beat the eagles cause Ron told him to scrap the shit he was doing on offense in the first half
Agreed. I haven't seen anything I like from Turner so far.. It seems as if Turner is trying too hard to be innovative coordinator.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #52
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Concerning Dwayne Haskins' inaccuracy problems, I listened to comments from three knowledgable NFL people on this topic: Chris Cooley, Dan Orlovsky of ESPN who played QB in the NFL for 12 Years, and Scott Turner. The following are some of the things I picked up from their comments.

Chris Cooley noted that there was no significant difference in Dwayne's accuracy when he was under pressure versus when he was not under pressure. The problem is not in his emotional state but rather in his mechanics, particularly with his feet. He is not setting up properly to drive the ball accurately.

Dan Orlovsky had two recommendations for DH. First to become a technician with his feet. Second, to stop assuming where he will be going with the ball prior to the snap.

Scott Turner thinks that Dwayne needs to ensure that his feet and his body position are correct when throwing. Right now he is making too many arm only throws that adversely affect his accuracy. He also thinks that Dwayne gets excited when he sees a receiver breaking into the open and rushes his throws while forgetting about his mechanics.

So it seems that his accuracy problems are primarily due to poor or inconsistent mechanics. As far as I know, the only solution to that is many, many repetitions to get to the point where his mechanics are virtually automatic.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #53
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The problem is not in his emotional state but rather in his mechanics, particularly with his feet. He is not setting up properly to drive the ball accurately.
Exactly. His mechanics look the same from last year- flawed. This will NOT work in the NFL. He needs to improve it quickly or we'll move on. He is very inaccurate and people need to quit sugarcoating this. Love his emotion, size and arm strength. The mechanics and inaccuracy though will not work. I do trust RR to get this figured out. If there's anything I want to gain from this season other than the culture reform, it's whether Dwayne Haskins Jr. or Kyle Allen are serviceable in this league.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

If his footwork is this bad still, at this point in his QB career I don't see it getting any better. In college those flaws were hidden well because of the system he played in and the weapons around him. Like I said Sunday, Justin Herbert looked better in 1 game that he wasn't even prepared to start in more than DH has in his young career so far. It's also bad when folks in the media (Cooley , ESPN) etc, are asking him to focus on his mechanics more... They ain't saying that about Murray , Mayfield , Lock , etc. I'm all for giving him this full season to get better but I'm not very optimistic.

Minshew has a horrible OL , his #1 WR wasn't there last night and his defense is trash but he managed to be productive.

Burrow last week, same situation with OL and trash Defense and he had 300 and 3tds. You can't blame the OL / WRs every week. I gave Haskins a pass week 1 but week 2 he was straight awful on tape. We'll see ow he responds Sunday
Old 09-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #55
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’m really surprised Turner is not using the RB more in the pass game.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #56
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I’m really surprised Turner is not using the RB more in the pass game.
Gibson has flash, he may get more reps this week
Old 09-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #57
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm all for giving him this full season to get better but I'm not very optimistic.
1/2 a season for me if the inaccuracy/mechanics woes continue. Really would like to see what we have in Allen, and I have a feeling the staff will too considering the Carolina correlation.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #58
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
1/2 a season for me if the inaccuracy/mechanics woes continue. Really would like to see what we have in Allen, and I have a feeling the staff will too considering the Carolina correlation.
Allen is a back up, I don't get the urgency of putting him in by anyone.

I also don't get why everyone keeps comparing Haskins to teams/QBs that are in a completely different situation than Washington:

Minshew/Jax - Minshew started most of the games last season, and aside from OC, the team has pretty much the same coaching staff from last year. Also, Mishew was pretty bad last night and Jax got soundly beaten by an average Miami team.

J. Hurbert/Chargers - The Chargers have a loaded team on both sides of the ball. And again, same coaching staff as last year. But who knows, maybe Hurbert is better than Haskins.

Burrow/Bengals - I think Burrow is better than Haskins, I'll give you that, but again Bengals have a team with the same coaching staff from last year, probably better WRs than we do, and a potentially elite RB in Mixon. Yet, they are 0-2. What's the point of throwing 300 yards if you don't win.

Lock/Broncos: Lock only started 5 games last season, but again, his team has the same coaching staff as last year. Also, I think Lock had way better weapons offensively: Sutton, Lindsey, Fant, etc., etc. Now this is a moot point, since Lock is hurt.

It's funny that no one brings up the only other QB/team that is the same situation as Haskins: Daniel Jones and the Giants.

Jones started more games than Haskins last year, but he's in his second year, with a new coaching staff, and not a lot of talent around him (and almost no talent after Saquon went down). And guess what, Jones is not very good and they are 0-2.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #59
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Allen is a back up, I don't get the urgency of putting him in by anyone.

I also don't get why everyone keeps comparing Haskins to teams/QBs that are in a completely different situation than Washington:

Minshew/Jax - Minshew started most of the games last season, and aside from OC, the team has pretty much the same coaching staff from last year. Also, Mishew was pretty bad last night and Jax got soundly beaten by an average Miami team.

J. Hurbert/Chargers - The Chargers have a loaded team on both sides of the ball. And again, same coaching staff as last year. But who knows, maybe Hurbert is better than Haskins.

Burrow/Bengals - I think Burrow is better than Haskins, I'll give you that, but again Bengals have a team with the same coaching staff from last year, probably better WRs than we do, and a potentially elite RB in Mixon. Yet, they are 0-2. What's the point of throwing 300 yards if you don't win.

Lock/Broncos: Lock only started 5 games last season, but again, his team has the same coaching staff as last year. Also, I think Lock had way better weapons offensively: Sutton, Lindsey, Fant, etc., etc. Now this is a moot point, since Lock is hurt.

It's funny that no one brings up the only other QB/team that is the same situation as Haskins: Daniel Jones and the Giants.

Jones started more games than Haskins last year, but he's in his second year, with a new coaching staff, and not a lot of talent around him (and almost no talent after Saquon went down). And guess what, Jones is not very good and they are 0-2.
Agree with everything here. The comparisons to other young QBs usually get a hard eye roll from me. Apples to oranges. And I'm not sure what anyone was watching last night but Minshew was not good.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #60
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'd def take Haskins over Jones, I think the upside is better long term.