Giants Post Game Reactions

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #211
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Giants Post Game Reactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Nothing with missing Lav on the first series.

We didn't abandon the run. The fair weather fans will say we did. The logical fans who understand the game on a NFL level will realize we passed because we were down 2 scores all game.
Right on!! Its guys like you that keep me coming back to this forum..is it me or is there a lot of folks on here that just don't have a clue of how competitive the NFL is..and things are not always what they appear to be..geez Gruden did a good job of play calling in my opinion. I base that on if we don't give up the block punt for safety that resulted in td..the fumble in the end zone..the other missed plays that were there for the taking..so poor execution is to blame..we could have been in that game and may have won! I don't get some of these so called fans..i have wanted coaches gone in the past but only after it was clear they had lost the team..heck Gruden has got these guys playing tough.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #212
30gut
Playmaker

I love how despite what i actually write people "know better".

I get it. We cant point out Js mistakes, even when asked because it means we think its all on J. Got it. Noted. Lol. I guess J did everything right. Apparently as the HC very little of what happens on the field is his fault.

Oh BTW the Gints pass defense faced Ryan and Room, 2 top tier QBs and passing offenses which obviously skews their pass defense rating/ranking. Good coaching is about playing to your strengths. If we were able to run the ball vs the Rams then the blue print to run against the Giants was there. From the outset we set out to establish a diverse and committed run game vs the Rams against the Giants we did not. We didn't even feature the multiple TE power run formations that worked from the week before.

If we're gonna talk football let's talk and not have all that other BS.

You can like the playcalling, I'm not knocking anyone's stylistic preference. But for me, I prefer function over form. And I don't think the ganeplan against the Giants is gonna help us win games.

Cheers
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #213
That Guy
Living Legend

if you're down 9 points and there are 45 minutes left, you can still run it, especially if your defense is pretty decent. if there are issues with having the backup OL in or kirk is changing out of it or whatever, that's a different thing than just getting nervous way too early, but i didn't hear any explanation in the press conference (i didn't listen to the entire thing), so i'm not sure why they switched things up so drastically.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #214
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
if you're down 9 points and there are 45 minutes left, you can still run it, especially if your defense is pretty decent. if there are issues with having the backup OL in or kirk is changing out of it or whatever, that's a different thing than just getting nervous way too early, but i didn't hear any explanation in the press conference (i didn't listen to the entire thing), so i'm not sure why they switched things up so drastically.

I think plenty of people on this board have given plenty of reason over and over again. I know we arent the HC but they sort of make sense?

Starting LG out early - strength of our run game is the left side

Giants secondary was getting beat bad and wr's were open all over the place - it was apparent that there was a reason they ranked dead last against the pass

Giants stuffed us in a third or fourth? and short and stacked the box and bottled both Almo and Jones up early - it was apparent that there was a reason they ranked number one against the run.

Cousins had so much time to throw It was laughable on a handful of plays. Our pass pro seemed legit for the first time in a long time.

We were down 12 for most of the game which forced us to throw more.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #215
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I think plenty of people on this board have given plenty of reason over and over again. I know we arent the HC but they sort of make sense?

Starting LG out early - strength of our run game is the left side

Giants secondary was getting beat bad and wr's were open all over the place - it was apparent that there was a reason they ranked dead last against the pass

Giants stuffed us in a third or fourth? and short and stacked the box and bottled both Almo and Jones up early - it was apparent that there was a reason they ranked number one against the run.

Cousins had so much time to throw It was laughable on a handful of plays. Our pass pro seemed legit for the first time in a long time.

We were down 12 for most of the game which forced us to throw more.
People would rather give irrational explanation to why they are right, then actually making sense of situation.

When you have a guard that pulls a lot in a power offense. It really cripples you as a run team when he goes down. We still attempted to run but we were not having a lot of success and when you have to punt to a team taking 5-8 minutes off the clock everytime they have the ball. It makes committing to the run difficult.

We are going to have games were we need to rely on Kirk to win with his arm. He was 2-3 yards short on throws this week to doing just that. I'm not freaking out because I've seen him make these throws before so I know he can do it. I'm just worried about his progression and mental state after throwing multiple picks still
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:26 AM   #216
30gut
Playmaker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...inst-the-rams/
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #217
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Thats 9 in the box in the clip they are showing in that article. Yet people are saying that running against an 8 man box is impossible. Its possible, you just need to want to do it. Against the Giants, we didnt make any effort to. We lined up in pass sets the whole game and made no effort to do what we do well. Even when we ran, it was Carrier as the blocker, who run blocks worse than Reed. It was an attempt to show pass but end up running, which is fine at times. But not going to work when your QB is off.

Guys, its possible to run against an 8 man box. Stop making excuses as to why you cant when we did exactly that against the rams. And no... Lauvoa is not the one singular reason we were able to run against the dolphins and rams. It doesnt help losing him, but its also not the end of the world like its being made out to be.

Also, all this stuff about KC being off. Yes he was, we all saw it, except the play callers. When your QB is having an off game, and he is not an elite QB, then change the play calling to help him out. Coaches do that all the time. Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, you allow them to do what they do since they have earned the benefit of the doubt. KC... Not so much. Offer him help in some way, shape, or form. Dont find something that isnt working and stick with it. The play calls were good if KC was on his game. The fact that he wasnt, and everyone saw that, means they werent good play calls.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #218
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Thats 9 in the box in the clip they are showing in that article. Yet people are saying that running against an 8 man box is impossible. Its possible, you just need to want to do it. Against the Giants, we didnt make any effort to. We lined up in pass sets the whole game and made no effort to do what we do well. Even when we ran, it was Carrier as the blocker, who run blocks worse than Reed. It was an attempt to show pass but end up running, which is fine at times. But not going to work when your QB is off.

Guys, its possible to run against an 8 man box. Stop making excuses as to why you cant when we did exactly that against the rams. And no... Lauvoa is not the one singular reason we were able to run against the dolphins and rams. It doesnt help losing him, but its also not the end of the world like its being made out to be.

Also, all this stuff about KC being off. Yes he was, we all saw it, except the play callers. When your QB is having an off game, and he is not an elite QB, then change the play calling to help him out. Coaches do that all the time. Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, you allow them to do what they do since they have earned the benefit of the doubt. KC... Not so much. Offer him help in some way, shape, or form. Dont find something that isnt working and stick with it. The play calls were good if KC was on his game. The fact that he wasnt, and everyone saw that, means they werent good play calls.

So once he / we realized KC was not on his game, what exactly do you suggest.? We were probably down 12 at that point and the Giants were completely bottling up our run game. See you guys in the "bad play call" camp keep acting as if they "abandoned " the run, but they didnt. It was getting stopped. We tried to run the ball 20 times all of which were pounced on except one ten yard burst and a nice run by Thompson. Other than that they averaged under three yards a carry! The fourth quarter would have been good for 10-15 more run attempts but we were down three scores?!? It was not at all like the Rams game. Not at all. We tried to screen pass, go deep, go intermediate. None of it worked. Wth is it exactly that you were looking for????? More flea flickers?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #219
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So once he / we realized KC was not on his game, what exactly do you suggest.? We were probably down 12 at that point and the Giants were completely bottling up our run game. See you guys in the "bad play call" camp keep acting as if they "abandoned " the run, but they didnt. It was getting stopped. We tried to run the ball 20 times all of which were pounced on except one ten yard burst and a nice run by Thompson. Other than that they averaged under three yards a carry! The fourth quarter would have been good for 10-15 more run attempts but we were down three scores?!? It was not at all like the Rams game. Not at all. We tried to screen pass, go deep, go intermediate. None of it worked. Wth is it exactly that you were looking for????? More flea flickers?
Why didnt they try the 3 TE sets? Did you miss the entire post I was commenting on? The extra TE's widens the line and forces the Giants to do the exact same (notice everything you mentioned was a pass). That already creates wider gaps to attempt to run through. When you let 8 people sit from tackle to tackle, and then wonder why the run isnt working, thats idiocy. Having a back such as Morris who has great vision and has shown plenty of times that he can work with that and use cutbacks, those wider gaps can make a huge difference. Even Matt Jones could have possibly made that work for him.

As for it not being like the rams game. Of course it wasnt, we never tried to power run it down their throats. We lined up in passing sets against an 8 man box. Thats clearly not the thing to do when your QB is having an off night. That wasnt fooling anyone.

But when its clearly not working, the one thing you dont do is the same damn thing all game long. Had KC been having a decent game, it would have worked (I have never denied that), but anyone in their right mind could see he was not.

Stop with the whole attitude that the only way to win a game when the defense commits 8 to the box is to have Tom Brady, thats a fallacy. The rams did that also, and we ran against them.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #220
skinsfan69
Living Legend

On to the Beagles. Giants game is toast. I want to see this below average Redskin team play like an average team and grind out a win at home.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #221
That Guy
Living Legend

if you're QB is sucking, do you just keep chucking?

we had a bunch of success w/ 3 TEs vs the rams, and basically didn't use it vs the giants on a short week. I understand why we weren't running in the 4th quarter, and kirk put up a lot of garbage time yards that helped make the loss and his stat line look better than it was.

I don't get it, everyone wants us to be a power-running team, yet they're perfectly okay when we go pass happy in the middle of the first quarter, even though that's not what we're good at.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #222
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
if you're QB is sucking, do you just keep chucking?

we had a bunch of success w/ 3 TEs vs the rams, and basically didn't use it vs the giants on a short week. I understand why we weren't running in the 4th quarter, and kirk put up a lot of garbage time yards that helped make the loss and his stat line look better than it was.

I don't get it, everyone wants us to be a power-running team, yet they're perfectly okay when we go pass happy in the middle of the first quarter, even though that's not what we're good at.
We're capable of passing the ball. You have to try to do it against 8 man fronts. We didn't make any plays. Off night. But I would expect a professional NFL team to try and pass the ball when the other team is daring you to do so.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #223
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We're capable of passing the ball. You have to try to do it against 8 man fronts. We didn't make any plays. Off night. But I would expect a professional NFL team to try and pass the ball when the other team is daring you to do so.

Agreed. Even when your QB starts slow - you have to take what the defense gives you.

However there is no arguing this anymore. Just wait till goid KC shows up than Gruden will have called a good game.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #224
scowan
The Starter

The Redskins Defense has zero turnovers this year. If you are not the Broncos, Patriots or Cardinals, you are not good enought to win without them. If they don't start getting some turnovers = short field, they are in for a long season, especially with "I throw one pick or more every game " Kirk Cousins as their QB. Its a simple game really. You can move the ball by passing or running, but you can't turn it over. Blocked punt=turnover, picks by Cousins= turnover, Matt Jones fumble= turnover. Tell me those 3 things and I don't even have to watch the game and tell you the Giants won. Again, the reason they want to run more, is because the more Cousins passes, the more likely a TO is about to happen. You don't need to run more if you have a guy like Brady as your QB, because he doesn't turn it over, but the Redskins QB does. Sorry for my rant, but Cousins should get benched for McCoy the next time he throws 2 picks in a game.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #225
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Coughlin can out-coach almost every coach in the league, yet the Giants lose plenty of games. It's not always about coaching.