Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: All I want for Christmas is a nsw Front Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think growing up under a good organization doesn't necessarily predict future success Schneed. You make a good point that the culture around here is toxic and I'm not sure Kyle Smith has benefitted from that, but OTOH look at how many of Bill B's former assistants and FO guys (like Pioli) haven't panned out elsewhere.

I don't have a suggestion as to where we can find the next NFL prodigy either, why does it have to be so hard?
I'm with ya, and I think it's not only hard for us as fans but it's hard for franchises too, as you note. But at the same time if you find a personnel guy who has 15+ years of experience, and that experience included being part of two separate Super Bowl winning organizations, I take that as a pretty good resume. Right? I mean that part isn't hard.

I feel like justifying Kyle Smith over Joe Douglas's much more accomplished resume is the same as reaching for a draft pick. Or perhaps a more apt comparison, the same thing as passing up Wade Phillips for Joe Barry or passing up Gus Bradley for Greg Manusky.

It's bypassing an unequivocally stronger resume for someone you're familiar with. That's the EXACT thinking we need to purge from Redskins park. I'm alarmed that anybody wants to continue with that mindset.

And I'm not even married to Joe Douglas. All I want is a thorough search of all available applicants and to pick the strongest resume. How do you determine strongest resume? Not that hard, I don't think. Look for experience, look for winning organizations, talk to people to get references and recommendations, and then interview them. It's still a crapshoot - guys like Pioli made good sense as strong resumes, and it just didn't work out. But for God's sakes don't just go with familiar. Familiar is how we've ended up with mediocrity and empty seats.