Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #61
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Re: In memory of our REDSKINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Well said.

This is the personal attachment that the protesters just don't get. It's not about clinging to the name, it's about the sentimental value.

The team could have been called the Turkey Vultures and we'd still have the same feelings.

I'm sad too. My jackass father-in-law from NY made a stupid comment in email this morning that we should be called the "Yellow Bellies" since we caved. That's not even remotely funny to me.
I cant even consider it caving, either. Ds did everything in his power to keep the team name. This is a singular point in time that this could happen. I'm not getting political or anything like that....but when the sponsors pull, it's like monopoly...when you start mortgaging your properties to pay rent to others....the game is just about over. At this point I dont think ds had much of a choice. If he didnt change, who knows....the franchise may well have dissolved, or moved cities. I think he is changing the name to save the team.
I hope that other teams fans have a little respect in this situation, as I'm sure they have memories as well about times in their franchises history that are dear to them. The divisional rivalries were always a sight to see....like I said...win or lose, it was always something we could all get together on and share time and moments.
Not that we cant anymore...its just..........different

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #62
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
It changes the game forever.

This is equivalent to the Boston Red Sox changing names...no more Yankees-Red Sox rivalry!
Yeah even Yankee fans would hate that move
Old 07-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #63
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
I cant even consider it caving, either. Ds did everything in his power to keep the team name. This is a singular point in time that this could happen. I'm not getting political or anything like that....but when the sponsors pull, it's like monopoly...when you start mortgaging your properties to pay rent to others....the game is just about over. At this point I dont think ds had much of a choice. If he didnt change, who knows....the franchise may well have dissolved, or moved cities. I think he is changing the name to save the team.
I hope that other teams fans have a little respect in this situation, as I'm sure they have memories as well about times in their franchises history that are dear to them. The divisional rivalries were always a sight to see....like I said...win or lose, it was always something we could all get together on and share time and moments.
Not that we cant anymore...its just..........different
Yeah, I do not blame Dan Snyder at all for this. He was put in an impossible position. He fought for the team, name and fans for two decades, all the way to the US Supreme Court. He promised us the team would never change and held onto that as long as he could. When scumbags at Nike financial blackmail him, the company on the stadium threatens him and the MAYOR OF D.C. also puts an ultimatum on having a home to play in...what owner could survive that? The co-owners that want to bail on him...they certainly were not offended by the team name when it was putting millions of dollars into their bank account...just suddenly when it's trendy. They're going for their 15 minutes of fame.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #64
Monkeydad
Living Legend

New memory hopefully...when the stadium breaks out into HAIL TO THE REDSKINS on their own after Haskins hits McLaurin for the year's first TD.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #65
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

I really cant wait to see an invigorated team. In a way it feels like a fresh start, even with the same captain at the helm. Here's to hope! HAIL!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #66
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
I really cant wait to see an invigorated team. In a way it feels like a fresh start, even with the same captain at the helm. Here's to hope! HAIL!
I'm optimistic for the year. The guys seem pumped anyways.

Chase, Dwayne, Terry, AP, Allen and the rest of our Alabama defense...they're all ready to go.

Dwayne is in great shape too.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #67
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Dwayne looks great, he seems to be serious and ready for that leap
Old 07-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #68
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I'll have to disagree to me a lot of this is on Dan. In business attitude matters. If you are good at what you do and an asshole people will tolerate it to an extent but they would rather have someone who might have a bit less talent but brings a quality workplace environment. Dan does none of those. He drove away the casual fans through myriad of decisions, suing old ladies, suing the City Paper, shoddy product and overall piss poor attitude. When asked about a name change we all know how he reacted in 2013. Instead of being a business man about it and identifying support for the name and the positives it brings. Eventually he does create the Original American's Foundation but they do such a shit job of marketing it even with the teams media.

He is a bad business partner. NFL owners that used to defend the name because the Redskins were a quality product and thus improved their bottom line began to not support the name. The minority owners tried to sell their shares but they couldn't find someone to take shares of one of the most valuable franchises in the world. They did what they needed to to get out of a toxic environment and I cannot blame them for this.

Dan has repeatedly been given gifts in regards to the name polls showing that Native American's don't find it offensive, that the word that resonates with the logo is "proud" by Native Americans and a Supreme Court decision that says bans on trademarks with offensive language are illegal. Each one of those incidents he handled like an ass hat in the team response.

I do think change was inevitable it is hard to have a team maintained with a word that is defined as a slur, but if he was a good business owner and partner the franchise name would still have had support.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #69
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I never asserted he's been a good or even effective owner...plenty of mistakes and bad decisions over the years, but on defending the team name, history and legacy, he's been solid there.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #70
MTK
\m/

Coming out and saying we're never going to change the name and you can put that in all caps was a big mistake by Snyder. When you draw a line in the sand and make it clear that something isn't up for debate or a rational discussion, don't be surprised when the other side comes back with an equally hard headed response.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #71
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I'll have to disagree to me a lot of this is on Dan. In business attitude matters. If you are good at what you do and an asshole people will tolerate it to an extent but they would rather have someone who might have a bit less talent but brings a quality workplace environment. Dan does none of those. He drove away the casual fans through myriad of decisions, suing old ladies, suing the City Paper, shoddy product and overall piss poor attitude. When asked about a name change we all know how he reacted in 2013. Instead of being a business man about it and identifying support for the name and the positives it brings. Eventually he does create the Original American's Foundation but they do such a shit job of marketing it even with the teams media.

He is a bad business partner. NFL owners that used to defend the name because the Redskins were a quality product and thus improved their bottom line began to not support the name. The minority owners tried to sell their shares but they couldn't find someone to take shares of one of the most valuable franchises in the world. They did what they needed to to get out of a toxic environment and I cannot blame them for this.

Dan has repeatedly been given gifts in regards to the name polls showing that Native American's don't find it offensive, that the word that resonates with the logo is "proud" by Native Americans and a Supreme Court decision that says bans on trademarks with offensive language are illegal. Each one of those incidents he handled like an ass hat in the team response.

I do think change was inevitable it is hard to have a team maintained with a word that is defined as a slur, but if he was a good business owner and partner the franchise name would still have had support.
This 110%
Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #72
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Coming out and saying we're never going to change the name and you can put that in all caps was a big mistake by Snyder. When you draw a line in the sand and make it clear that something isn't up for debate or a rational discussion, don't be surprised when the other side comes back with an equally hard headed response.

Agreed. He was already disliked by many and to be so obnoxious about it just threw fuel on the fire.

A better approach would have been to keep his cool and have some scripted response stressing that nobody is trying to offend anybody, yatta, yatta. But that is not Danny.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #73
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

Excellent post.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #74
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

Reposting just because this is so on point. Great post dude.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #75
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The dude is your typical fanboy that has big $$ and lucky enough to own a team... He's a loser , I don't care how much money he has