Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2024, 10:45 AM   #23
mredskins
MVP

Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Preach.

It makes me feel guilty when I don't tip on a takeout order, but on the flip side the argument is "why don't you just pay your employees better?"

Tipping on a takeout order is just subsidizing a business who doesn't want to pay their employees proper wages.
i have bartended and waited tables; if you work in a good busy restaurant you can make bank; i will gladly take the tips

once you have the mindset you are a salesman and the menu is your product the money will follow ; its no different then making commission on a car sale

what pisses me off is when someone wants 20% on a take out order who gets paid a non-tipping wage; if you are a professional waiter its a legit difficult job to time courses, knowledge of your menu etc...you are being paid (tip) to create an experience; fucking handing me a bag of take out food that the really labor was in the kitchen preparing that food doesn't not deserve an additional fee(tip)

even if you work at a chain restaurant and they put you on take out they up your wage for that shift

I promise you if you walked into Ruth Chris or say even Sweetwater Tavern and told the wait staff hey we are going to start paying you a wage and nix tipping there be an uproar. The tipping in restaurants was to make your waitstaff salesmen; the more they sale the more the restaurant makes and the more the server makes. A waiter is no different then a car salesman.