Chargers and Norv

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #46
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Chargers and Norv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Are you referring to Bobby Beathard? Anyway, what I was trying to say is that the Chargers still have Marty's personality. That's still his team out there. Norv is the head coach, but that team carries Marty's imprint.
Sorry guys, you do not win two playoff games and especially the reigning SB champs that looked great all season if you're riding someone's coat tails. Maybe I could agree after beating the titans, but not the Colts. Give Norv some credit.

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
They had another GM before AJ Smith took over, he had a great eye for talent and died a few years ago. I can't remember his name.
You're thinking of John Butler
Old 01-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So the players had nothing to do with that huh? John Elway had nothing to do with that? How is Byner fumbling on the one yard line Marty's fault?? I just think that the whole Marty is a choker stuff is bullshit. The dude is a damn good coach. Norv is just a good OC. He is not a leader of men.

Alot of people can coach the Chargers. They are set up to win now.They have the best RB in the NFL. They have the best pass rusher. One of the best NT's. A solid o-line. Real good corners. And the AFC West sucked this year.
Positive reputation points coming your way
Old 01-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #49
WillH
The Starter

I was not a fan of Norv while he was here, but I have to give him credit. It just makes you wonder . . . if Norv can win elsewhere then maybe the problem is here. Obviously our players during his stint were not nearly as good as the ones we have now, but still it is unbelievably frustrating. When will we ever be a dominant team again?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #50
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
While I won't disagree, I will say that Norv's first stint as a head coach was with us, so there was plenty of learning to go around. Also, keep in mind that he led us to 4 winning records in 7 years (he was 7-6 in 2000 when he was fired). We were a doormat and he lifted us from that. No, he did not have what it took back then to get any better than that, and I do not for one second disagree with firing him, but that was a long time ago, and people can learn.
True, but what I'm saying is, from what I saw, he never led anything. The Redskins won despite him, and now the Chargers are as well. I mean I don't know how things are working in San Diego. But with the Redskihs, he was completely overmatched.

People do learn, no question. But I don't see still how he deserved to be given a third opportunity with a team already on the cusp of the SB when he arrived.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #51
jsarno
Franchise Player

Just an FYI, Norv this season has 2 playoff wins (and hopefully not done), Schott had 2 playoff wins in a season only 1 time in his entire career, and that was in 92 with KC.

Funny how people think so negative of Norv, but so highly of Schott when schott pissed off the vets like Darryl Green and Bruce Smith on a regular basis. There was practically a mutany cause schott was such a jerk. The entire team wanted him gone, yet some here think highly of him and not Norv??????
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #52
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Sorry guys, you do not win two playoff games and especially the reigning SB champs that looked great all season if you're riding someone's coat tails. Maybe I could agree after beating the titans, but not the Colts. Give Norv some credit.
To echo a post I made earlier, if you use that logic, how do you explain Callahan's SB trip with the Raiders?

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #53
T.O.Killa
The Starter

For the record, Marty is on of the best coaches out there. He made it to three AFC championship games and he built the Chargers. If they had let him stay here, he would have won a super bowl for us by now. Can somebody tell me who our who our QB was under Marty, I cant remember for the life of me.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #54
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Just an FYI, Norv this season has 2 playoff wins (and hopefully not done), Schott had 2 playoff wins in a season only 1 time in his entire career, and that was in 92 with KC.

Funny how people think so negative of Norv, but so highly of Schott when schott pissed off the vets like Darryl Green and Bruce Smith on a regular basis. There was practically a mutany cause schott was such a jerk. The entire team wanted him gone, yet some here think highly of him and not Norv??????
Those players were pissed because he wanted everyone to bust their ass all the time. He came in and didn't assume anything. He expected vets and rooks alike to "earn it." I think that is worthy of respect.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #55
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
For the record, Marty is on of the best coaches out there. He made it to three AFC championship games and he built the Chargers. If they had let him stay here, he would have won a super bowl for us by now. Can somebody tell me who our who our QB was under Marty, I cant remember for the life of me.
Tony Banks for at least half the season, I believe. Yeah that's right, Tony Banks
Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #56
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Marty Schottenheimer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're forgetting what he did in Cleveland.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #57
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
True, but what I'm saying is, from what I saw, he never led anything. The Redskins won despite him, and now the Chargers are as well. I mean I don't know how things are working in San Diego. But with the Redskihs, he was completely overmatched.

People do learn, no question. But I don't see still how he deserved to be given a third opportunity with a team already on the cusp of the SB when he arrived.
Well, I definitely agree with you about the opportunity, but he's making the best of it. It wouldn't have been my choice at all, and I thought it was dumb to fire Marty just to bring in Norv. Obviously Norv is doing something right though, and I have not heard a single grumble out of SD about his leadership. Thus I feel he learned his lesson. There is no doubt that he's a great coordinator and QB coach, the question was about his ability to be a HC, and so far he's passing with flying colors.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #58
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So the players had nothing to do with that huh? John Elway had nothing to do with that? How is Byner fumbling on the one yard line Marty's fault?? I just think that the whole Marty is a choker stuff is bullshit. The dude is a damn good coach. Norv is just a good OC. He is not a leader of men.

Alot of people can coach the Chargers. They are set up to win now.They have the best RB in the NFL. They have the best pass rusher. One of the best NT's. A solid o-line. Real good corners. And the AFC West sucked this year.
Wasn't you the one who said that coaches are overrated? You will never convince me that Marty is a great coach, he will be forever be remembered as a CHOKER to me and lots of fans till proven otherwise.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #59
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This article is from earlier this year, and you could be right that he has improved jsarno. But this quote summarizes exactly what I was trying to say about what I saw of Norv while he was coaching the Redskins:

"Talk to Turner's former players, and this is what they'll tell you: Give the man one job, and he'll do that job well. But give him a big job with multiple responsibilities, and he gets anxious and scattered and has a hard time doing any one thing capably."

Charging toward disaster - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #60
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Marty Schottenheimer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're forgetting what he did in Cleveland.
No I'm not, he never had more than 1 playoff win in a season in Cleveland. Please go back and read my post. Only 1 time did Schott win 2 playoff games in a season.
Marty Schottenheimer Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks - Pro-Football-Reference.com

FYI- he's 5-13 in the playoffs, one of the worst records of all time in the postseason.