Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"Jason Campbell struggles against the Steelers"

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How Many Regular Season Games Will Jason Campbell Start?
1-5 18 15.25%
6-10 16 13.56%
11-16 84 71.19%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #331
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: "Jason Campbell struggles against the Steelers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Schroeder View Post
I hope I am wrong, but Campbell hasn't proven me to be. Flacco is obviously a better qb. Sanchez has way more potential than Campbell. Last two super bowls we won were with average quarterbacks, hopefully we can get a wild card birth this year with a poor one.
Poor QB:

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #332
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Schroeder View Post
thats good statistical evidence to support a point gibbs.

I hope I am proven wrong, and will drop the topic, conceding he is a middle of the pack qb, nothing less, nothing more.

I've been living in New England since 03 and am tired of hearing it from these pats fans, including my girl and her brother. Heres to success this year and beyond.

Am I the only one who thought the Giants first team looked awful against the Bears last night?
They have injuries at lb and in the secondary, this gives me some hope. I think we have the talent to shut down their run game, and their wide receivers dont scare me.
I'm not going to get into another pointless anti-JC discussion so I'll bite on your other comment:

Yes, the Bears made the Giants first team look really bad. If the Giants are not healthier on defense by Sept. 13 they could be in big trouble. The numerous injuries on all three levels of defense may make them toothless on defense. And its the defense that makes that team what it is. They still have a few weeks to heal, but if they don't, this year's opener could have a vastly different look than last year's opener.

Speaking of last year's opener, I saw Jacobs run over Urlacher twice. Landry should feel good about that.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #333
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
There's a fine line in playing well and playing below average. If Jason Campbell hits the 10-yarder to Moss for a third down conversion or hits Kelly deep for a possible touchdown, then he would have had a good game. But he didn't when he had chances, that's the difference. Seemingly small difference, but are actually huge.
The bolded statement is certainly true, but I'm going to have to go out on the limb and suggest that a 3rd down pass on the first drive in a preseason game is probably not anywhere near that line.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #334
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Can the Campbell detractors please not say that if he was 11-for-11 in the preseason instead of 4-for-13 that they would be leading the charge FOR him? C'mon, you and I both know we're dealing with a meaningless sample there. We also both know that while I know we'd all like him to succeed, your denial of him having the ability to do so is the reason we disagree. I do not deny his ability to be sucessful, you do, and there's really nothing wrong with that. But let's not act like seven completions in the preseason would make you think that, "wow, this guy has the goods."

Matty is 100% correct. If he was 11-for-11 in the preseason, there would be about 20% as many people on these Campbell threads, and "lets wait for the season" would be the mantra.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #335
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Can the Campbell detractors please not say that if he was 11-for-11 in the preseason instead of 4-for-13 that they would be leading the charge FOR him? C'mon, you and I both know we're dealing with a meaningless sample there. We also both know that while I know we'd all like him to succeed, your denial of him having the ability to do so is the reason we disagree. I do not deny his ability to be sucessful, you do, and there's really nothing wrong with that. But let's not act like seven completions in the preseason would make you think that, "wow, this guy has the goods."

Matty is 100% correct. If he was 11-for-11 in the preseason, there would be about 20% as many people on these Campbell threads, and "lets wait for the season" would be the mantra.
And even if JC lights it up over the first 8 games this year, they'd be crying about the second half of last year and predicting his final-8-games demise.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #336
KLHJ2
Inactive

There was nothing wrong with Campbells performance. The production just didn't match up with the rest of the positives. Like GTripp said "the sample size was too small" as well. Don't we have more pressing issues like who the back up waterboy is going to be?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #337
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
And even if JC lights it up over the first 8 games this year, they'd be crying about the second half of last year and predicting his final-8-games demise.
A very true statement. We are a better team it's just ashame when you have to prove it to your own so called fans. But that's what make this website great your allowed to voice your own opinions. HTTR.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #338
warriorzpath

I just don't get the way that some purposely overlook plays that Campbell failed in. what the hell is the excuse for missing moss for 10 yards and a 3rd down conversion. it's just preseason ... please. are u all saying that he misses that because it's just preseason or maybe he just didn't get enough snaps. or maybe it was against last year's 1st ranked defense (even though the defense had nothing to do with the incompletion). lets face it, whatever it was ,there really is not an excuse for this play.

And why is this play along with his other plays this preseason meaningless? the only meaningless thing for the players in preseason is the score. When the players are in there, they compete the way they would during the season. Just look at Haynesworth, or ask Brennan or Daniels if it is meaningless. Shoot even mister anti-preseason, Portis, hurt his shoulder to prevent a defensive td in a preseason game.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #339
GusFrerotte

Quote:

I doubt that Tripp. IF JC was perfect in the preseason everone would be saying he finally climbed the hill or turned the corner so to speak and will be more than ready for the season to start. What you have here are a bunch of guys that are comparing last preseason to this one and are seeing some similarities. 1 for 7 on a wet night doesn't mean the end of the world, but it still didn't look great, especially since we still can't do squat in the red zone.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #340
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I just don't get the way that some purposely overlook plays that Campbell failed in. what the hell is the excuse for missing moss for 10 yards and a 3rd down conversion. it's just preseason ... please. are u all saying that he misses that because it's just preseason or maybe he just didn't get enough snaps. or maybe it was against last year's 1st ranked defense (even though the defense had nothing to do with the incompletion). lets face it, whatever it was ,there really is not an excuse for this play.

And why is this play along with his other plays this preseason meaningless? the only meaningless thing for the players in preseason is the score. When the players are in there, they compete the way they would during the season. Just look at Haynesworth, or ask Brennan or Daniels if it is meaningless. Shoot even mister anti-preseason, Portis, hurt his shoulder to prevent a defensive td in a preseason game.
1) errant/dropped pass. Much like wild pitch vs. passed ball, it's two different sets of blame for something that is exactly the same outcome. You also mention that the defense had "nothing" to do with the incompletion, but there were two Steelers defenders in close proximity to the pass.

The play is not meaningless. It's just that, a (one) play. Who cares?

2)You already know that players who aren't expected to play much in the regular season need to value the preseason, way, way more than anyone who goes into the preseason with no competition on their job. For somebody like Campbell, it's just a tune up. What he gets from it is 100x more important than what he does in it. But for third stringers like Daniel/Brennan, what they do in it is arguably more important than what they get from it.

3) The preseason has never, ever been about first string quarterbacks. This is the fatal flaw in your argument.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #341
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I doubt that Tripp. IF JC was perfect in the preseason everone would be saying he finally climbed the hill or turned the corner so to speak and will be more than ready for the season to start. What you have here are a bunch of guys that are comparing last preseason to this one and are seeing some similarities. 1 for 7 on a wet night doesn't mean the end of the world, but it still didn't look great, especially since we still can't do squat in the red zone.
Good points, but it's not like we even tried to throw the ball in the red zone.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #342
warriorzpath

Quote:
1) errant/dropped pass. Much like wild pitch vs. passed ball, it's two different sets of blame for something that is exactly the same outcome. You also mention that the defense had "nothing" to do with the incompletion, but there were two Steelers defenders in close proximity to the pass.

The play is not meaningless. It's just that, a (one) play. Who cares?

2)You already know that players who aren't expected to play much in the regular season need to value the preseason, way, way more than anyone who goes into the preseason with no competition on their job. For somebody like Campbell, it's just a tune up. What he gets from it is 100x more important than what he does in it. But for third stringers like Daniel/Brennan, what they do in it is arguably more important than what they get from it.

3) The preseason has never, ever been about first string quarterbacks. This is the fatal flaw in your argument.
Did you see Brady after his first interception in his first game back from his injury? He was pissed. And I should remind you that this was preseason and that as an understatement that he is a proven winner. If he cares about how he is performing in preseason and feels he has something to prove (even in preseason) then I think your #3 statement is definitely your fatal flaw in your argument.

And who cares? Everyone should. If campbell made a play earlier or even after this play, then yeah who cares cause he made up for it by making a good play - but he didn't. The best thing that he did for a majority of the game was throwing the ball away.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #343
warriorzpath

... and Brady's interception was just one meaningless preseason play - but by his reaction not meaningless to him.

You follow the lead of the leaders. Guys like Brady and Haynesworth, they are guys you follow and it certainly looks like to me, that they care how they perform on the field anytime, even in preseason.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 AM   #344
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

[QUOTE=warriorzpath;580398]... and Brady's interception was just one meaningless preseason play - but by his reaction not meaningless to him.

You follow the lead of the leaders. Guys like Brady and Haynesworth, they are guys you follow and it certainly looks like to me, that they care how they perform on the field anytime, even in preseason.[/QUOTE]

Because they are competitors, they want to win each time they step on that field. and the way they drive themselves even in these 'meaningless' games is one of the reasons that they are great when they do count.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #345
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

In the summer months, the Redskins showed interest in Jay Cutler when Denver was shopping the disgruntled pro-bowler in early spring. After Denver’s new Head Coach, Josh McDaniels, turned down an offer from Washington that was identical to the offer made by the Chicago Bears, it was clear that other coaches and front offices were not convinced of Campbell’s future as a starting quarterback in the league.
The Redskins even showed interest in moving up in the draft to take USC’s Mark Sanchez. But the Redskins did not have the draft picks to match the Jets offer, and therefore, missed another trade opportunity to upgrade their quarterback position. This was after the Redskins approached several teams about a possible trade for Campbell, but no organization exhibited interest.
With the questions surrounding the reliability and the psyche of their quarterback, preseason is an opportunity for coaches and fans to see how Campbell will respond to the off-season mayhem.
Unfortunately, for Jason Campbell, the preseason has not pointed in the direction that he and his team were hoping.
After two preseason games, Campbell is 4/13 with 48 yards (a completion percentage of 30.8%) and has a quarterback rating of 43.1%. This puts Campbell in the No. 32 spot when compared to other starting quarterbacks’ numbers this preseason; and has Washington’s offense ranked 29th for yards, 30th for points, and 31st for passing. (By contrast, Kyle Orton’s completion percentage is 64.3% with an overall rating of 50.9%, Jay Cutler’s completion percentage is 56.5% with an overall rating of 79.1%, and Mark Sanchez has a completion rate of 50.0% with a rating of 82.3%).
There is no denying that Campbell must perform better this Friday when the Redskins travel to take on the New England Patriots. As one official in the Redskins organization remarked, “It would put a lot of peoples’ minds at ease, and I’m not just talking about the fans.”
Hopefully, for the team and Campbell, the second half of the preseason will prove to be more promising than the first. So, it appears that the need and meaningfulness of the preseason is still alive and well in Washington